Admission Credentials/Grades for Top Non-Tax LLM Programs? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Thresher

New

Admission Credentials/Grades for Top Non-Tax LLM Programs?

Post by Thresher » Wed May 29, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm interested in pursuing an LLM or SJD in the future. I am a rising 3L with about B+ average grades at a T14 law school. I am not on THE law review, but a specialty journal. I have a master's degree from a top school in the UK. I am commissioned in the JAG Corps of a military branch and will be starting there as an officer in the Fall of 2014. I'm going to get my LLM either during my service or shortly thereafter. Could some people who have been admitted to or completed LLM programs at top schools tell me their credentials/grades/background so I can judge my chances? Many thanks!

Locked due to being cross-posted in two forums.
Last edited by Thresher on Wed May 29, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Gold

Re: Admission Credentials/Grades for Top Non-Tax LLM Programs?

Post by twenty » Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Thresher wrote:I'm interested in pursuing an LLM or SJD in the future. I am a rising 3L with about B+ average grades at a T14 law school. I am not on THE law review, but a specialty journal. I have a master's degree from a top school in the UK. I am commissioned in the JAG Corps of a military branch and will be starting there as an officer in the Fall of 2014. I'm going to get my LLM either during my service or shortly thereafter and am very interested in a career in legal academia. Could some people who have been admitted to or completed LLM programs at top schools tell me their credentials/grades/background so I can judge my chances? Many thanks!
Surprisingly difficult to get into a top program, actually. Many (top) LLM programs exclusively admit overseas LL.Bs, and even if some do accept American JDs, they prefer international students. On top of that, an LLM is a pretty costly adventure that usually doesn't give out much in the way of scholarship money.

AND, you're not getting legal academia without straight As, period paragraph. If Yale can't place more than 4% of their class in academia (legal?), why would a medianish UVA student with a reasonably decent LLM do any better?

That said, if the LLM is free since you're a military chap, by all means. LLMs give the feds a hard on, if you want to pursue that later.

Return to “What are my chances?”