172 LSAT/3.58 GPA--ED Chicago? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kathj06

Bronze

172 LSAT/3.58 GPA--ED Chicago?

Post by kathj06 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Hey everyone,

After months of creeping around TLS, I'm finally making my inaugural post! So my top choice law school is the University of Chicago, but I know my GPA is subpar by their standards. Granted, it's from an undergrad institution known for grade deflation, and Chicago has been kind to similar applicants from my school in the past. But at the end of the day that's probably all irrelevant since a 3.58 GPA is still a 3.58 GPA--regardless of the context! I'm sure Chicago gets plenty of applicants from other schools w/ grade deflation who have 3.9's, so I digress!

Softs: Have been the Speechwriter for a U.S. Senator for about a year now. In the previous year I was the Press Assistant for the same senator after months of post-grad unpaid internships for other senators and political organizations. Graduated undergrad in 2010.

Current significant involvement in community service and other civic organizations
Heavily involved in EC's, service and internships in undergrad.

Like I said, Chicago is my #1 favorite, but I really think I need ED to have a shot. At the same time, I'm afraid of locking myself into any financial situation. I would feel more comfortable being able to weigh various financial scenarios/options and then making a choice. But then again, Chicago's LRAP is arguably the strongest in the nation, and I'm almost positive I want to stay in public service anyway. I know I could always initially choose or not choose the ED option when I submit my app and then change my mind, but wasn't sure if changing my mind about ED would raise any red flags with Chicago's admissions committee. As you can see, I could go back and forth with myself on this decision all day, so any advice you guys had would be very much appreciated! Thanks for sticking with me through this long and rambly post...this site was a godsend for my LSAT so I'm grateful for any insights you could offer.

Rahviveh

Gold

Re: 172 LSAT/3.58 GPA--ED Chicago?

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 pm

kathj06 wrote:Hey everyone,

After months of creeping around TLS, I'm finally making my inaugural post! So my top choice law school is the University of Chicago, but I know my GPA is subpar by their standards. Granted, it's from an undergrad institution known for grade deflation, and Chicago has been kind to similar applicants from my school in the past. But at the end of the day that's probably all irrelevant since a 3.58 GPA is still a 3.58 GPA--regardless of the context! I'm sure Chicago gets plenty of applicants from other schools w/ grade deflation who have 3.9's, so I digress!

Softs: Have been the Speechwriter for a U.S. Senator for about a year now. In the previous year I was the Press Assistant for the same senator after months of post-grad unpaid internships for other senators and political organizations. Graduated undergrad in 2010.

Current significant involvement in community service and other civic organizations
Heavily involved in EC's, service and internships in undergrad.

Like I said, Chicago is my #1 favorite, but I really think I need ED to have a shot. At the same time, I'm afraid of locking myself into any financial situation. I would feel more comfortable being able to weigh various financial scenarios/options and then making a choice. But then again, Chicago's LRAP is arguably the strongest in the nation, and I'm almost positive I want to stay in public service anyway. I know I could always initially choose or not choose the ED option when I submit my app and then change my mind, but wasn't sure if changing my mind about ED would raise any red flags with Chicago's admissions committee. As you can see, I could go back and forth with myself on this decision all day, so any advice you guys had would be very much appreciated! Thanks for sticking with me through this long and rambly post...this site was a godsend for my LSAT so I'm grateful for any insights you could offer.
Don't ED. RD and compare offers in the T14 (and LRAP's).

iteachtenthgrade

Bronze

Post by iteachtenthgrade » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Definitely don't ED.

I got in RD with your stats EXACTLY and similarly strong softs but maybe not even quite as strong as yours!

florida1949

Bronze

Post by florida1949 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeah I wouldn't ED. Splitter's cycles are typically unpredictable and it's possible you could (1) get into Chicago RD or (2) get $$ from another T14.

Also, I got into Chicago with 176/~3.4 and what I would consider to be below average softs, so you certainly have a non-negligible shot.

If I were you, I would tailor my (RD) application to Chicago and work hard on killing your interview.

kathj06

Bronze

Post by kathj06 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks for the responses--especially great to hear a numbers twin success story, tenthgrade!

Florida--as far as tailoring the app to Chicago goes, would you recommend an additional "Why Chicago" essay, or is it enough to just tailor the personal statement to Chicago?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

florida1949

Bronze

Post by florida1949 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:06 am

kathj06 wrote:Thanks for the responses--especially great to hear a numbers twin success story, tenthgrade!

Florida--as far as tailoring the app to Chicago goes, would you recommend an additional "Why Chicago" essay, or is it enough to just tailor the personal statement to Chicago?

Thanks again for everyone's help!
I think either would be fine. here is what UChicago has to say about it.

Good luck with your application.

kathj06

Bronze

Post by kathj06 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Awesome--thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”