Should I stay or should I go? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zekeattack

New

Should I stay or should I go?

Post by zekeattack » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 am

3.3 167 LSAT. Non Urm Hispanic, going on 4 years of WE. Pretty focused softs in public interest work if that counts for anything at this point in LS apps.

I applied this cycle and got in to schools in the 20-40 range including some pretty good scholarship offers. I have around 60% tuition at the regional where I've been living the past several years.

While I'm excited by the prospect of graduating with less debt than a T14, I'm still looking at 100k or so of debt. Looking at employment placement at alot of the schools I've gotten into is not terribly exciting.

So here's my question: I've traditionally been a very successful standardized test taker. Took the lsat awhile ago and did decent prep, but just took a practice test and it looks like I'm Pting around the score I received with months to push it up. When I took the test I was PTing in the 170-172 range.

If I'm able to pull at 170-172 on the October test what is my gameplan? Where would an ED potentially help me? NYU?

Based on LSN I think I'd have a chance at Michigan with a 170+.

I know the non URM hispanic is potentially the hardest advantage to gauge but on LSN he has it as a +3 for whatever thats worth.

My only worry is delaying this process one more year and being in the same, or worse position this time next year. At that point I'll feel pretty old going back to LS.

Do I take the regional with minimal debt? Do I hope for a hail mary ED at the T6 and plan on using LRAP (not interested in biglaw)?

Thanks TLS, this decision is really really hard, and I wish I had the forsight to retake a year ago.

Cobretti

Gold

Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Post by Cobretti » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:18 pm

No one on tls is going to tell you not to retake. Sounds like you already know what to do anyway though, goodluck with the retake! If you want NYU I think you might need more like a 172-174 though from what I'm seeing on lsn

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Do not retake in June. It is too soon.

Retake in October. The consensus on TLS is that Manhattan prep books are best to study from.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:19 pm

mrizza wrote:No one on tls is going to tell you not to retake. Sounds like you already know what to do anyway though, goodluck with the retake! If you want NYU I think you might need more like a 172-174 though from what I'm seeing on lsn

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Do not retake in June. It is too soon.

Retake in October. The consensus on TLS is that Manhattan prep books are best to study from.
Why is it too soon? 3 months is plenty of time to study. Anyway, drop a seat deposit at whichever school you think you want, then retake in June. If you improve re-apply early in the fall. If you dont, go to the regional you deposited at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:28 pm

3 months is TTT time to study

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:3 months is TTT time to study
Studied for two and got a 175. YMMV

Re: best materials, I went all PowerScore.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm

racrfish wrote:
Studied for two and got a 175. YMMV

Re: best materials, I went all PowerScore.
It could be the case that you're fucken smart. Just because you took very little time to study and got great score, does not mean it will be the case for OP.

Also, did you use all powerscore books? LR, LG , RC ?

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Exactly, which is why I indicated YMMV and generally don't dish out advice on the LSAT board. It worked well for me, and some others, but everyone's different.

I used PowerScore LG and LR. Practiced the LG book extensively. Just kind of read through the LR book to make sure I understood everything. I didn't use any resources for RC. I took a few PTs in the weeks leading up to the test and that was that.
Last edited by racrfish on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:37 pm

How many hours a week did you put in? Were you consistent in your study? If you're a dood, did you stop jerking off?

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:51 pm

I would guess that over those two months I averaged an hour a day? Some days more, some days none at all. I think I did about six PTs, maybe a few more. I just felt confident about it from start to finish.
Last edited by racrfish on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:01 pm

That's very little study for an amazing score.

and dammm :mrgreen:

zekeattack

New

Post by zekeattack » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Would folks be willing to comment on my options at the T14 if I'm able to make those scores happen?

I plan on taking in October and then December as my backup.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:12 pm

If you can get the 170+, you should be a lock at Georgetown and Northwestern. An ED at UVA would probably work out for you.

Beyond that, I don't know. I'm a splitter as well and I'm waiting to hear from Mich, Duke, and Penn.

Check out the splitter results thread for an idea of how we've fared this cycle.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Reatke. Get 170+. Apply NU. ????. Profit.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:21 pm

spleenworship wrote:Reatke in October. Get 170+. Apply NU. ????. Profit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”