engineer/stay at home dad admission chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mojotheamazing

New

engineer/stay at home dad admission chances

Post by mojotheamazing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:11 pm

I am looking for some guidance.

I recently took the Lsat (164) Decided this is what I wanted to do and studied for ~3 weeks before the exam.

I have a Material Science and Engineering at a top 10 engineering school. (gpa ~2.7 do not remember exactly it has been 10 years.)
I worked as a research engineer for 6 years, and have been a stay at home dad for the past 6.

I am looking at University of Minnesota or William Mitchell College of Law

--LinkRemoved--

I think I can improve on my Lsat score, but I also want to start school this fall.
Recently had a bad case of LIFE that made me decide to try a new direction.
Do I have a chance getting in with these credentials?

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Re: engineer/stay at home dad admission chances

Post by empyreanrrv » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 pm

http://www.mylsn.info/xcqrcr

Minnesota doesn't look too good, and I'm not sure it would pay to go to William Mitchell. If you can get a 164 with only three weeks of studying, you should definitely study more and retake. Most people go through 3-4 months and 25+ practice tests of studying. The only thing that is going to overcome your low GPA is going to be a high LSAT. Don't be satisfied until you can push into the 170s. Schools only take the highest score anyway, so you really have nothing to lose. It is MUCH better to apply next cycle with a higher score than go to a poor school now.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Did your wife cheat / leave you?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:51 pm

167+ in June will give you a good chance to get into UMN this cycle (assuming you are a Minn citizen). With a 2.7, youre on the outside looking in with anything below a 167.

If, assuming you score 167+ in June and you dont get off the WL, then you should sit out and reapply.

Dont accept the scholarship offer youll probably get from WM unless its close to a full ride + they take the class rank stipulation off, because odds are you will lose the scholarship (nothing personal, just odds), and WM is not worth anything close to full price.

(Im a UMN 1L. Feel free to PM me any specific questions)

peeonyou

New

Post by peeonyou » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Did your wife cheat / leave you?
dick question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Who even says that?

peeonyou

New

Post by peeonyou » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:38 pm

you'd get into william mitchell, but it would f over your family.

it's a 200k investment, and minnesota gives big scholarships. your gpa is terrible so just get a 170.

peeonyou

New

Post by peeonyou » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:49 pm

and it sounds dick, but if you're not above median at Minnesota i'd drop out. it just wouldn't be worth the time given your other skills.

mojotheamazing

New

Post by mojotheamazing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:15 pm

I figured I needed to retake, good to know I have a solid chance if I improve significantly.
Thanks for the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Hello Engineer,

Good luck with your choice of choosing law. I am actually a father of three (soon 4) getting a law degree at UM. I transferred in from William Mitchell and am a 2L right now. I can give you the ins and outs of both schools with hopefully some helpful advice.

I can say out loud that I think you will have a tough time getting into UM with that LSAT score. If you do you will pay full sticker price. However I think you will have a good chance of getting money from Mitchell. A friend of mine is an engineer going full-time. UST is not so far out of the question by the way. I would not go to Hamline as the school could be shut down.

PM me and I will give you some more particulars. (It is for me to get recognized from anyone UM since I am the only one with kids practically). I applied to all schools in the area and would be happy to give you some advice.

GL

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:55 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:
PM me and I will give you some more particulars. (It is for me to get recognized from anyone UM since I am the only one with kids practically). I applied to all schools in the area and would be happy to give you some advice.

GL
Ive already run extensive background checks on all the transfers and know who you are.

jklol.

ThomasCaruthersEsq

New

Post by ThomasCaruthersEsq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 pm

peeonyou wrote:
dick question.

MNbound

New

Post by MNbound » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Nova wrote:167+ in June will give you a good chance to get into UMN this cycle (assuming you are a Minn citizen). With a 2.7, youre on the outside looking in with anything below a 167.

If, assuming you score 167+ in June and you dont get off the WL, then you should sit out and reapply.

Dont accept the scholarship offer youll probably get from WM unless its close to a full ride + they take the class rank stipulation off, because odds are you will lose the scholarship (nothing personal, just odds), and WM is not worth anything close to full price.

(Im a UMN 1L. Feel free to PM me any specific questions)
They took Stips off of WM scholarships since at least last cycle (unless you count maintaining a 2.5 stips).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 pm

ThomasCaruthersEsq wrote:
peeonyou wrote:
dick question.
lol I just read this thread again and my first thought was " damn dick comment" then I saw I was the author.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ThomasCaruthersEsq wrote:
peeonyou wrote:
dick question.
lol I just read this thread again and my first thought was " damn dick comment" then I saw I was the author.
:lol:

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:29 am

If you are planning on going to law school after studying for 3 weeks and taking the exam once, you aren't ready for law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”