Is my degree going to hurt me? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tmanthedman

New

Is my degree going to hurt me?

Post by tmanthedman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 pm

I will have a 3.3/3.4 when I apply next cycle. And scored 170 on LSAT. Want to go to either a T14 or George Washington, but Penn is my first choice (ED).

Started with 2.2 gpa freshman year, so have worked hard to get gpa up so there is certainly an upward trend.

I am attending the University of South Carolina, majoring in Sport and Entertainment Management. Will my choice of major, coupled with the fact that I did not attend a top undergrad institution in the northeast, hurt my admissions chances?

What are my chances at these schools?

Thanks

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: Is my degree going to hurt me?

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Your degree will not matter. I think you have a decent shot at Penn ED with those numbers but just 1 or 2 points on the LSAT would help tremendously if you can retake.

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 pm

major doesnt matter. Retake and shoot for 173+

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 pm

tmanthedman wrote:I am attending the University of South Carolina, majoring in Sport and Entertainment Management. Will my choice of major, coupled with the fact that I did not attend a top undergrad institution in the northeast, hurt my admissions chances?
Your degree will not hurt you. People who majored in dance in the SEC have an equal chance to get into law school as people who majored in History at NYU. Supposedly an UG of HYP, MIT, or Stanford can help. Some say that STEM people get a boost, but I can't speak to that.

LSAT/GPA/URM status are pretty much all that matter unless you have absurd softs.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 pm

tmanthedman wrote:I will have a 3.3/3.4 when I apply next cycle. And scored 170 on LSAT. Want to go to either a T14 or George Washington, but Penn is my first choice (ED).

Started with 2.2 gpa freshman year, so have worked hard to get gpa up so there is certainly an upward trend.

I am attending the University of South Carolina, majoring in Sport and Entertainment Management. Will my choice of major, coupled with the fact that I did not attend a top undergrad institution in the northeast, hurt my admissions chances?

Thanks
Your degree is in what academicians call a "low consensus field" --that coupled with a 3.3 or 3.4 from USC (is this your LSAC Ugpa OR USC's?) will make Penn a stretch, IMO. Are you applying this cycle or next year? Certainly in this cycle you have a legit chance at some T14. LSATs above a 165 are way down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmanthedman

New

Post by tmanthedman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:major doesnt matter. Retake and shoot for 173+
I looked into whether or not I should retake on TLS.
I studied very hard for over 3 months. More hours than I have ever put into anything, and more than I ever thought I would. My highest score was 170 under real conditions on a pt, but consistently was between 167-169. I had no distractions on test day, and also had a perfect LG section. scored 170 on test day.

I feel that it is not likely that I would improve, and could hurt my application if I get a lower score.

tmanthedman

New

Post by tmanthedman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
tmanthedman wrote:I will have a 3.3/3.4 when I apply next cycle. And scored 170 on LSAT. Want to go to either a T14 or George Washington, but Penn is my first choice (ED).

Thanks
Your degree is in what academicians call a "low consensus field" --that coupled with a 3.3 or 3.4 from USC (is this your LSAC Ugpa OR USC's?) will make Penn a stretch, IMO. Are you applying this cycle or next year? Certainly in this cycle you have a legit chance at some T14. LSATs above a 165 are way down.
I'll be applying this fall, for the class of 2017.

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 pm

tmanthedman wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:major doesnt matter. Retake and shoot for 173+
I looked into whether or not I should retake on TLS.
I studied very hard for over 3 months. More hours than I have ever put into anything, and more than I ever thought I would. My highest score was 170 under real conditions on a pt, but consistently was between 167-169. I had no distractions on test day, and also had a perfect LG section. scored 170 on test day.

I feel that it is not likely that I would improve, and could hurt my application if I get a lower score.
if 170 was actually your max then i can understand your reluctance. Having said that, since youre applying for 2017 class..might as well keep at it and if your pt scores get higher, then retake.
\
all i am saying is that 3 points higher, and you'll be in another tier

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 pm

tmanthedman wrote:

It will not hurt your application. The only schools where that might happen are already out anyways because of your GPA (HYS). So if you aren't applying till the fall anyways you might as well try to study and aim for a higher score. It will make a huge difference for CCN chances and $$$ at a lower T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 pm

I would try for a T20 for free over spending a quarter mil for Penn, but that's me.

No your degree won't hurt. Your GPA isn't great though.

And I know retake is the TLS mantra, but Jesus guys. Sounds like he's maxed out.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 pm

major doesn't matter, friend

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:I would try for a T20 for free over spending a quarter mil for Penn, but that's me.

And I know retake is the TLS mantra, but Jesus guys. Sounds like he's maxed out.
He ain't getting a T20 for free with a 3.4.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I would try for a T20 for free over spending a quarter mil for Penn, but that's me.

The splitter friendlies would throw money at him hand over fist.

But yeah, the problem for low GPA folks is they can get into good schools but stare down the barrel of a quarter mil of debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

But yeah, the problem for low GPA folks is they can get into good schools but stare down the barrel of a quarter mil of debt.
I've been out of the admissions game for a while, but you used to get maybe 50% tuition at T1's as a splitter. Are they giving fullrides now?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I've been out of the admissions game for a while, but you used to get maybe 50% tuition at T1's as a splitter. Are they giving fullrides now?
Schools needa keep up those medians son. The game seems to have changed a bit, especially if you wait to commit to a school until the bitter end. You'll get schools desperate to keep their numbers up and they end up tossing out schollies like lollipops for the kiddies.

tmanthedman

New

Post by tmanthedman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Money will certainly be factored in, but for me to attend Penn vs. saving some money by going to Georgetown or GW (if I got any $), is not worth it to me. I will have help paying for school, so I am looking long term. And Penn seems to place much better for Biglaw.

Also, since I'm planning to ED at Penn, money won't matter, because if I get in I'll have to take it for what it is.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

You got a pretty good shot at Penn ED with a 3.4/170. If you are only a junior you'd do well to sit out an extra year, get the GPA up, and try to improve the LSAT score, but you're obviously not in a terrible situation now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”