Chances at USC/UCLA or GW with 3.3/ 170 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tmanthedman

New

Chances at USC/UCLA or GW with 3.3/ 170

Post by tmanthedman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:26 pm

3.3 and a 170 on the LSAT.

Looking at George Washington as my first choice, followed by University of Southern California and UCLA.
Also, applying to some of the t 14's like Georgetown, UVA, Cornell, Duke, Penn, and a few others.

Do I have a pretty good chance at getting into at least one of these schools?

TripTrip

Gold

Re: Chances at USC/UCLA or GW with 3.3/ 170

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:07 am

tmanthedman wrote:3.3 and a 170 on the LSAT.

Looking at George Washington as my first choice, followed by University of Southern California and UCLA.
Also, applying to some of the t 14's like Georgetown, UVA, Cornell, Duke, Penn, and a few others.

Do I have a pretty good chance at getting into at least one of these schools?
GWU yes. You're a tossup everywhere else.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:21 am

You are an auto admit with $$$ at GW. Toss up at USC & UCLA. You'll likely snag GULC with $/$$ if you apply early (assuming this is for next cycle; if it's this cycle it gets dicier, but you'll probably still be fine). Maybe Cornell.

UVA ED looks solid if sticker doesn't horrify you.
tmanthedman wrote:Do I have a pretty good chance at getting into at least one of these schools?
Give yourself more credit.

tmanthedman

New

Post by tmanthedman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Im really leaning toward Penn ED as my top choice, and yes it is for next cycle, so admission to class of 2017.

I think I could have a 3.4 by the time I apply, because I have 18 credits this semester and plan to take 9 more over summer to get as much GPA boost as possible.

Pretty good shot at Penn ED with 3.4/170?

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 pm

You're pretty much a lock. You probably wouldn't get money RD anyway, so ED on the first day apps open if you're really sure about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:56 pm

I guess this is unconventional but why not try applying this year and see where you get in RD? If you get into several T14's RD then you don't need to ED next year. You won't get much scholarship money either way but at least you'll have an idea of what your realistic options will be for next cycle.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 pm

tmanthedman wrote:Im really leaning toward Penn ED as my top choice, and yes it is for next cycle, so admission to class of 2017.

I think I could have a 3.4 by the time I apply, because I have 18 credits this semester and plan to take 9 more over summer to get as much GPA boost as possible.

Do this. I'm sitting at 3.19/170, wrote a killer why Penn/P.S. and snagged UPenn (ED) right off the bat early on in the cycle.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 pm

tmanthedman wrote:Im really leaning toward Penn ED as my top choice, and yes it is for next cycle, so admission to class of 2017.

If it is for next cycle retake the LSAT. Even a few points can make a big difference. Particularly if Penn is your first choice, you are going to be below the 25th in GPA and above median for LSAT, but getting to a 172 or higher would put you over Penn's 75th in LSAT which would improve your chances.

tmanthedman

New

Post by tmanthedman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Nickg415 wrote:

Do this. I'm sitting at 3.19/170, wrote a killer why Penn/P.S. and snagged UPenn (ED) right off the bat early on in the cycle.

What is the why penn about? What do they want to see and what do people usually write about?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Cellar-door wrote:

If it is for next cycle retake the LSAT. Even a few points can make a big difference. Particularly if Penn is your first choice, you are going to be below the 25th in GPA and above median for LSAT, but getting to a 172 or higher would put you over Penn's 75th in LSAT which would improve your chances.
I agree he should consider retaking, but it may actually hurt his chances at Penn to get a higher LSAT score.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:54 pm

tmanthedman wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:

What is the why penn about? What do they want to see and what do people usually write about?
They give you 4 or 5 options so you can choose. The one I choose was basically a why penn. Just read interviews with the dean and everything else about UPenn to find out what they pride themselves over. For example I emphasized how their emphasis on interdisciplinary studies was a huge reason feeling so comfortable committing early decision to UPenn. Not sure what everyone usually writes about I can only really say for myself.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”