International applicant (=no GPA) / 172 LSAT, any ideas? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
eyfl

Bronze

International applicant (=no GPA) / 172 LSAT, any ideas?

Post by eyfl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:39 am

Hey everyone,

I'm so excited about the release of Dec LSAt (especially since I got 172 there) and am about to apply to different schools. Since I'm an international applicant (and my UG was outside US) LSAC doesn't provide the GPA number but only tells if it's above/below average (above average in my case). I'm not completely sure but I believe for law schools my absence of GPA number is a good thing since it won't affect their GPA medians so my LSAT is the sole determinant (and I can essentially assume my GPA to be ~median).

I'll probably end up blanketing all T14 schools but since I'm an international I either need full scholly or a loan from HYS (these are the only ones that don't require US co-signer I believe).

I have a ~3 years of work experience in an analytical role in a well-known market research firm (got couple of achievement awards); UG was in Mathematical Economics

What do you guys think, do I stand a chance @ HYS or a full scholly @ T4-14?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by eyfl on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: International applicant (=no GPA) / 172 LSAT, any ideas?

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 am

Tough question. The basic thing I've heard is that your LSAT should be above the school's median for you to have a chance, and then it's basically just at the whim of the admissions officers as to which international students they want. Your best bet would be to scroll through LawSchoolNumbers and find other international students applying to HYS to see how they fared.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:54 am

I think the LSAC's highest rating is "superior." Is that not right? If so, admission to Stanford will be very unlikely with an "above average." YLS and HLS are out as well, both because of this issue and the fact that you're below their LSAT medians (173).

I imagine you would have at least a good shot at the rest of the T14 (except maybe Berkeley), since you're at or above the LSAT median for the rest of them.

I don't know enough to comment about the likelihood of your receiving a full scholarship at certain schools, but I get the sense that this would be unlikely at most schools.

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:00 am

Superior is indeed the highest rating. But I'll be writing in my PS about the hurdles I overcame which could also somewhat explain the GPA performance (e.g. working part-time / full-time while in UG to help take care of a paralyzed family member).

In terms of acceptances I was thinking along the lines "if my GPA doesn't affect school rating they'll want me for the LSAT (for those where I'm above median)". Guess there's no way to know until actual acceptances / denials come from Law Schools (as LSN doesn't have relevant data).

thomasyin2

New

Post by thomasyin2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:07 am

They must assign like a value range to each description:
Superior could be say, 3.9---->4+
Above average: 3.5-3.9
Average: 3.0-3.5
and so on
Above average means above "median", anyone know what this median GPA is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:25 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

thomasyin2

New

Post by thomasyin2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:34 am

Shouldn't his GPA be roughly be 3.33? Since above median for B level work which is like 3.33
I think if it's the case, not having this GPA will definitely benefit him applying for T-14s. 3.33 isn't at all an extraordinary GPA for T14s.
I predict if the same GPA with appropriate LSAT scores applying say T-25/30 all the way to the bottom. it would probably not going to have an effect. I don't think missing a GPA could ever hurt one's chances, given admission officers wouldn't have to worry about the number dragging the ranking down.

And how is this year different o.O

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:47 am

thomasyin2 wrote:Shouldn't his GPA be roughly be 3.33? Since above median for B level work which is like 3.33
I think if it's the case, not having this GPA will definitely benefit him applying for T-14s. 3.33 isn't at all an extraordinary GPA for T14s.
I predict if the same GPA with appropriate LSAT scores applying say T-25/30 all the way to the bottom. it would probably not going to have an effect. I don't think missing a GPA could ever hurt one's chances, given admission officers wouldn't have to worry about the number dragging the ranking down.

And how is this year different o.O
I also have diploma evaluation by an evaluation agency (ECE) which I did couple of years ago, they gave me 3.6. The only thing I have on LSAC report (besides 'above average') is a 'verbal rating' which they state is 'good plus' (and somewhere below they say good roughly equals B in the US system). Also, since the only rating above 'above average' is superior (no idea though how high the cutoff might be) I sincerely hope this will benefit me (or it's just my wishful thinking).

I'll let you guys know where I end up, but I'm at least happy with the LSAT score and that RC didn't screw me over (it's 10 times more brutal when English is not your native language).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”