Chances at HYS and down Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gnomgnomuch

Silver

Chances at HYS and down

Post by gnomgnomuch » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:46 pm

So, this is still pretty early for me since ive yet to actually take the lsat.. but im a big fan of hypotheticals so please dont burn me at the stake =)

My gpa is around the 3.6 range, by the time i graduate itll be somewhere between 3.6-3.7, maybe just a bit below that.
Ima double major in Poli Sci and Bussiness Journalism. I go to a relatively respected university.
My lsat should be in the low 170's unless i break through the 172 wall, or somehow do incredibly below what im doing now.
In terms of rec's ive got relatively average ones, though i have an CEO/Executive Director of a Not for profit organization that should be pretty good... ive known him all my life so its not gonna be something very generic.
My Resume is standard but i do have an internship at NYLAG, i might, by the time i actually apply to law school also have experience as a Junior Olympic level volleyball coach. If i do get this.... would that push my LSAT/GPA up a bit, since i cant imagine many people have that kind of experience.

Finally the schools im interested in.
All T-14'S except for NYU, ive lived in NY ever since ive immigrated and i honestly dont want to spend my life there.. Columbia is worth it mainly because its well COLUMBIA. Cornell is in Ithica, which is great, im just disenchanted with the city.
- Emory
-University of Illinois
-University of Minnesota
Any other schools you guys reccommend? All feedback and comments are appreciated!

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Re: Chances at HYS and down

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:14 am

Are you an international student then? Or a URM? Those would make a difference.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:Are you an international student then? Or a URM? Those would make a difference.
No, i was born outside the country and im bi-lingual (does that make a difference for applications?) , but ive had my entire education in NY.

Puffin

Bronze

Post by Puffin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:15 am

http://myLSN.info/ehu9t1

A self selecting population but this website will let you play around with hypotheticals to your heart's content.

ETA: Not sure how your outside experiences will affect your cycle but my guess would be minimally.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 am

Get an LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Get an LSAT.
TITCR

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:16 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
TITCR
Ya know... I kind of want to look at my posts from when I first joined to see how much my attitude has changed.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

A few things: Your majors and UG institution will not matter. Academic LORs are far preferable to non-academic LORs, and adcomms do not care about the title of the person writing the LOR. You have average softs, and they will have no impact on your admissions prospects. Finally, refusing to consider NYU is silly.

Come back when you have a real LSAT. In the meantime, play around with myLSN.info. Here's how people in your GPA range and with LSATs of 176-180 have done in recent cycles: http://myLSN.info/qoitqz. As you can see, even with an LSAT in this range, you would have zero chance at Y and essentially zero chance at S, but you would have a fair shot at H.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Theres a specific reason behind not considering NYU, id consider Columbia... But honestly with grades where i would make columbia, id most likely have other t-14 acceptances, which I would prefer to columbia, spending another 3 years in NY is rather daunting. I should have an lsat fairly soon, ive tested in ranges of 168 and 173, usually a 170/171.. Not ideal, but decent enough for some t-14's. Also, I thought unique-ish experiences/jobs gave a boost toward admissions... In terms of LORS, ill have 3, 2 by professors ive taken multiple times, where I recieved A's, and the final rec by the CEO. Thanks for the feedback!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 pm

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:Theres a specific reason behind not considering NYU, id consider Columbia... But honestly with grades where i would make columbia, id most likely have other t-14 acceptances, which I would prefer to columbia, spending another 3 years in NY is rather daunting. I should have an lsat fairly soon, ive tested in ranges of 168 and 173, usually a 170/171.. Not ideal, but decent enough for some t-14's. Also, I thought unique-ish experiences/jobs gave a boost toward admissions... In terms of LORS, ill have 3, 2 by professors ive taken multiple times, where I recieved A's, and the final rec by the CEO. Thanks for the feedback!
Anticipate underperforming your average PTs by a few points. I was PT-ing in the mid-high 170s and I got a 172.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:21 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:Theres a specific reason behind not considering NYU, id consider Columbia... But honestly with grades where i would make columbia, id most likely have other t-14 acceptances, which I would prefer to columbia, spending another 3 years in NY is rather daunting. I should have an lsat fairly soon, ive tested in ranges of 168 and 173, usually a 170/171.. Not ideal, but decent enough for some t-14's. Also, I thought unique-ish experiences/jobs gave a boost toward admissions... In terms of LORS, ill have 3, 2 by professors ive taken multiple times, where I recieved A's, and the final rec by the CEO. Thanks for the feedback!
Anticipate underperforming your average PTs by a few points. I was PT-ing in the mid-high 170s and I got a 172.
Well hopefull I can still get in the 170's.. I still have time to raise my score, is that normal, getting a bit lower than your average PT?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:is that normal, getting a bit lower than your average PT?
Yes, but far from an absolute rule.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:I thought unique-ish experiences/jobs gave a boost toward admissions...
Many applicants have internships like yours, and while your coaching position is uncommon, it's not the sort of soft that will compensate for below-median numbers in any way. People who are Rhodes/Marshall scholars, Olympic medalists, MacArthur Fellows, Medal of Honor recipients, renowned authors, or PhDs with influential publications, for example, are the kinds of applicants whose softs will provide a boost.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:
TITCR
Ya know... I kind of want to look at my posts from when I first joined to see how much my attitude has changed.
TITCCourse of action.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:I thought unique-ish experiences/jobs gave a boost toward admissions...
Many applicants have internships like yours, and while your coaching position is uncommon, it's not the sort of soft that will compensate for below-median numbers in any way. People who are Rhodes/Marshall scholars, Olympic medalists, MacArthur Fellows, Medal of Honor recipients, renowned authors, or PhDs with influential publications, for example, are the kinds of applicants whose softs will provide a boost.
Ah, alright... thanks! Also, i might be getting a paid position at NYLAG, if i get it, would that be something that will give me a boost, or would it still essentially be the same?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”