Need some brutal honesty and advice. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hockey96

New

Need some brutal honesty and advice.

Post by hockey96 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:08 pm

So as the title says I'm looking for people to give it to me straight. I've been checking this site out for awhile, in which I learned valuable things such as don't go to a law school outside the top 30 or so schools (specifically the T-14).

My dilemma is not knowing what to do. Should I attend law school based on my stats (Is it financially worth it in my case), or would it be better to attend business school specifically a top 10 school.

My stats are:
2.86 GPA. Economics major.
173 LSAT
730 GMAT
3 years WE with a fortune 500 bank
President of Non-Profit organization in Charlotte
First generation college student
Paper published: Environmental degradation and economic inequality
Other softs: Fraternity, community service, clubs, college hockey player, i.e. nothing really spectacular.

The biggest concerns I have is the law job market, along with this, do I have a shot at getting into a school that I'd have a fighting chance to get one of the few jobs in the market (big law) Also the MBA seems like a very generic degree.

Any advice you guys can give me would be great.

Br3v

Gold

Re: Need some brutal honesty and advice.

Post by Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:12 pm

hockey96 wrote:So as the title says I'm looking for people to give it to me straight. I've been checking this site out for awhile, in which I learned valuable things such as don't go to a law school outside the top 30 or so schools (specifically the T-14).

My dilemma is not knowing what to do. Should I attend law school based on my stats (Is it financially worth it in my case), or would it be better to attend business school specifically a top 10 school.

My stats are:
173 LSAT
730 GMAT
Other softs: Fraternity, community service, clubs, college hockey player, i.e. nothing really spectacular.

The biggest concerns I have is the law job market, along with this, do I have a shot at getting into a school that I'd have a fighting chance to get one of the few jobs in the market (big law) Also the MBA seems like a very generic degree.

Clearly you understand the only thing holding you back is GPA.
Check out lawschoolnumbers.com
Apply to at least the bottom half of the t14 and you are sure to get in at a few considering you have good work experience and have been published (work experience is a much bigger soft than published, though both are smaller in importance than numbers).

Specifically check out Northwestern as I hear they favor work experience and tend to take in a slightly older crowd because of that very reason.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Northwestern sounds perfect for you bro

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:14 pm

yeah I suggest looking around lawschoolnumbers.com specifically for Northwestern as well as checking in some of the Northwestern threads on here (use forum search button on top middle of page)

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 pm

So uh... why law?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:16 pm

also how did you go about getting published? Do you have a graduate degree?

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:17 pm

hockey96 wrote:So as the title says I'm looking for people to give it to me straight. I've been checking this site out for awhile, in which I learned valuable things such as don't go to a law school outside the top 30 or so schools (specifically the T-14).

My stats are:
173 LSAT
730 GMAT

I'm gonna start out by saying that I'm a total idiot, but here's my advice anyway.

The MBA may be a generic degree, but think about how many lawyers graduate each year. I think law schools churn out, what, 44,000 new grads annually? The JD is now also a generic degree.

Your GPA is going to hurt at the upper T14, but the 173 is a big help. With the WE and the 173, I'd have to think you are close to a sure thing at Northwestern. Any particular reason your GPA is so low? Do you have an upward grade trend? That helped me, in the end, because it provided evidence for my argument that I had grown up quite a bit and could tackle law school.

I see no harm in applying and seeing where you get money. If it were me, I'd blanket the lower T14, WUSTL (maybe?) and a few others. I think a lot of schools would trade the dip in GPA you bring for the boost in LSAT.

Also, what's to stop you from doing a JD/MBA?

TL;DR - apply and see who gives you cash, decide from there.

hockey96

New

Post by hockey96 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 pm

I had an upward trend GPA. My first two years were awful and I had a 3.4 cum my last two years. I got published in the Bloomsburg economics journal. I also got asked to present my research at the University of Illinois (They were holding a young scholar for new economic graduates to present their papers; in which you had to be recommended by a professor. My professor happened to know another professor in the economics department there).

I think the worse part about my GPA is that it's not an indication of my academic ability, more so of my inexperience and immaturity in my late teens. I also realize that same immaturity has locked me out of the T-14, besides perhaps Northwestern. Should I apply to Northwestern's JD/MBA program using my GMAT only. I know they have a program there that does not require the LSAT.

I'm also considering whether b-school would be a better option, I've read about 2.5 killer GMATs and good work experience getting into Harvard and Wharton.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Without knowing more, I think you probably belong in a good MBA program.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 am

hockey96 wrote:I had an upward trend GPA. My first two years were awful and I had a 3.4 cum my last two years. I got published in the Bloomsburg economics journal. I also got asked to present my research at the University of Illinois (They were holding a young scholar for new economic graduates to present their papers; in which you had to be recommended by a professor. My professor happened to know another professor in the economics department there).

I think the worse part about my GPA is that it's not an indication of my academic ability, more so of my inexperience and immaturity in my late teens. I also realize that same immaturity has locked me out of the T-14, besides perhaps Northwestern. Should I apply to Northwestern's JD/MBA program using my GMAT only. I know they have a program there that does not require the LSAT.

I'm also considering whether b-school would be a better option, I've read about 2.5 killer GMATs and good work experience getting into Harvard and Wharton.
Yeah man I know about the immaturity of those years. I finished with a solid 2.69, according to LSAC, despite graduating with a 3.4. Sucks, but that's how it goes. You, though, have a nice LSAT, which I did not.

You really should call Northwestern and see who can speak with you about the dual degree. I'd be hesitant to go if you have to do a year of law school and apply for the program after year one, because there's no guarantee you'll get in. I'd also really consider business school; with your background, the publication and experience, I think it'll take you further.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:17 am

hockey96 wrote:I had an upward trend GPA. My first two years were awful and I had a 3.4 cum my last two years. I got published in the Bloomsburg economics journal. I also got asked to present my research at the University of Illinois (They were holding a young scholar for new economic graduates to present their papers; in which you had to be recommended by a professor. My professor happened to know another professor in the economics department there).

If you want to be a lawyer go to law school. If you want a job go to b-school. The one thing that you have failed to mention so far is why you want to go to law school, so you should probably go to b-school.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 am

Dont worry about just applying with GMAT, your LSAT is great.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”