Magic 8 Ball Sayeth (Splitter Predictor) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Gustave

New

Magic 8 Ball Sayeth (Splitter Predictor)

Post by Gustave » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Given that each school uses its own index, I thought it might be fairly useful to have an easy tool to see whether you were above a schools 50% and 75% threshold according to its own index.
That way splitters/revere splitters can see schools which are in their target ranges without speculating too wildly.
Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 4ZGc#gid=0

How to Use This: Just type in your LSAT and UGPA in the "results" page of the doc, G2 and H2. The column D2 will autopopulate with your score on each university's index, which you can then compare to the 50% and 75% scores. Columns E and F show the what percent over or under the schools 50% and 75% your index is.

Methods: I took the indexes from this website http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/lawschools09.htm where avaliable. If they did not have a formula in the 2009 page, I referred to the older pages. If they didn't have an index listed at all, I averaged the relative weight of the universities imediately before and after it in the USNWR.

I took the medians from this lovely googledoc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... li=1#gid=0.
Again, where there were no information points, I used information from the previous year if avaliable. If a data point was missing completely, I took a "somewhere in the middle" approach to avoid logical impossibilities (eg: L50%>L75%) and ran with it. Again, this is meant to be a helpful tool, but not a final answer.

Further questions: I'm at work, but would love to see if there's a correlation between the relative weight for GPA/LSAT for the universities which changed their formulas from 1998 to 2000 or 2000 to 2009. Basically, was I justified in using older formulas from the same university? My negative hypothesis is that universities all fall within a range of about 20% weight for GPA, and that every time they recalibrate their formula they do so with an equal chance of being above or below that threshold, irrespective of their previous index. My assumption in this was that universities which traditionally emphasized LSAT over GPA or vice versa will continue to do so.

Gustave

New

Re: Magic 8 Ball Sayeth (Splitter Predictor)

Post by Gustave » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:59 pm

I'm new to googledocs (loyal excel man) so I didn't bother with conditional formatting. If this isn't editable by yall, please let me know and I'll try to fix it. If it is, I'd love it if someone could conditionally format it so that your index score was either yellow, blue or red depending on whether you were above just the 50%, the 75% or neither, respectively
Last edited by Gustave on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gustave

New

Re: Magic 8 Ball Sayeth (Splitter Predictor)

Post by Gustave » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Even better! Find it on the templates, by searching for "Magic Eight Ball Splitter Predictor". That way I don't have to approve yall for editing permissions.

Return to “What are my chances?”