177 LSAT / 3.88 GPA: Yale? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Wittgensteinian

New

177 LSAT / 3.88 GPA: Yale?

Post by Wittgensteinian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:45 am

So I understand that this might be perceived as bragging, but I promise I'm looking for help in all sincerity. My UG institution isn't super prestigious, Oral Roberts University, but I am currently getting my Master's in Religious Studies from Duke. Does anyone know how much (if any) of an effect Master's work can have on an applicant (My current grad GPA is 3.67 - obviously not as high as my UG gpa, but still good for my program). Any thoughts on how to tailor my application, and am I wrong to think that Harvard is pretty much a sure thing for me? Yale is definitely my top choice, but I know there is no such thing as being assured a place at Yale. I interview well and have good letters of recommendation, and am a solid writer (I got a perfect score on my GRE writing section, not that that means you're actually a talented writer...) but my undergrad major was also Theology - nothing prelaw, and I don't have any particularly extraordinary soft factors on my resume. Any thoughts would help.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: 177 LSAT / 3.88 GPA: Yale?

Post by rad lulz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:50 am

Wittgensteinian

New

Post by Wittgensteinian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:53 am

Yeah I should've looked, but I forgot to ask one more question which is actually pretty substantial - does anyone think that I could get money (maybe even a full ride) to a t-6 school with these numbers? I'm particularly interested in Columbia for this - anyone know of others with similar numbers getting full rides (or at least a substantial financial package) to CLS?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:56 am

Wittgensteinian wrote:Yeah I should've looked, but I forgot to ask one more question which is actually pretty substantial - does anyone think that I could get money (maybe even a full ride) to a t-6 school with these numbers? I'm particularly interested in Columbia for this - anyone know of others with similar numbers getting full rides (or at least a substantial financial package) to CLS?
See above. Apply and negotiate.

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 am

You will get substantial money at Columbia--no question, you're as close to a lock as you can be at Harvard and Yale is always less predictable/soft focused.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wittgensteinian

New

Post by Wittgensteinian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:01 am

I don't pretend to be fully conversant with all the ins and outs of the application process. Do you mean negotiate a financial package with the school? I'm guessing there are threads on here that probably go into that more in-depth. I'll look around. Thanks.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:05 am

Wittgensteinian wrote:I don't pretend to be fully conversant with all the ins and outs of the application process. Do you mean negotiate a financial package with the school? I'm guessing there are threads on here that probably go into that more in-depth. I'll look around. Thanks.
Bingo.

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 am

Wittgensteinian wrote:I don't pretend to be fully conversant with all the ins and outs of the application process. Do you mean negotiate a financial package with the school? I'm guessing there are threads on here that probably go into that more in-depth. I'll look around. Thanks.
Yes, he meant negotiate scholarships (don't believe it's aid based outside of HYS--Columbia is notorious for calling it need based when it most certainly is not). Basically, send the highest offer you get from CCN to the other two and hope they match it. (they typically do/or come pretty close).

Edit: posted before seeing your answer rad lulz.

Wittgensteinian

New

Post by Wittgensteinian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 am

Thank you!

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:17 am

Wittgensteinian wrote:but my undergrad major was also Theology - nothing prelaw, and
Schools don't care about your major. Theology is perfectly fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”