The UVA-ED Splitter Route Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JDeezy

Bronze

The UVA-ED Splitter Route

Post by JDeezy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:45 am

I know UVA ED is the best bet for 171-173 splitters (think 172/3.1) trying to get MVP.

Wondering if there is a significant disadvantage of EDing UVA later in the cycle?

Would EDing Mich on Sept 1st and then UVA in December if I don't get Mich be risky?

I'll be applying for 2013-2014 cycle but the answer to this question may decide whether I sign up for a December re-take, so thank you in advance.

I tried to searching for this but tough to narrow in on the search function...

basketball law guy

New

Re: The UVA-ED Splitter Route

Post by basketball law guy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Just a simple/stupid question about UVA being splitter friendly. Does it apply if you have a high GPA and a lower LSAT? I took the October LSAT and have no idea how I did but PT 158-163. GPA 3.98. Would UVA be an option for a 3.98/160 or so type of applicant?

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:35 pm

The safer bet is to apply ED to UVA asap. UVA is concerned with protecting its median. Most important to them is their LSAT median. Once it gets enough 170+ applicants it can start focusing rounding out the cycle with high GPA people. So waiting for too long could be risky if they have enough splitters to maintain their medians. Unfortunately, from what I hear, reverse splitters don't have as much luck especially with such a low LSAT but you have a really nice GPA so if you get a 166+ I would send in an App from Virginia down. Cornell seems to like GPA a lot so you might send an app their way. It just depends on what your LSAT is. If you get a 160 (and not an URM) you wont be breaking T14.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Historically UVA hasn't really cared when you ED, it is a virtual lock for 170+/3.0+ applicants. With apps down, no reason to think that won't be the case now.

Better question is why would you prefer Michigan over UVA? Michigan EDers have to start in the summer (dk if that is a plus or minus for you, it would have been a minus for me) and Michigan places relatively worse. If you want to ED somewhere early and somewhere late I'd do Penn now and UVA later and hope for the best.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:45 pm

2014 wrote:Historically UVA hasn't really cared when you ED, it is a virtual lock for 170+/3.0+ applicants. With apps down, no reason to think that won't be the case now.

Better question is why would you prefer Michigan over UVA? Michigan EDers have to start in the summer (dk if that is a plus or minus for you, it would have been a minus for me) and Michigan places relatively worse. If you want to ED somewhere early and somewhere late I'd do Penn now and UVA later and hope for the best.
If that's true then there would be no reason to not ED to Penn or Michigan first. Knowing this I wish I wouldn't have stressed out so much when I was making the same choice (I decided to ED to Penn and I have a little lower LSAT and slightly higher GPA). For me it my preferences are Penn>UVA/Michigan

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:09 pm

There's no way in hell I'd ED to UVA in this economy (I am a current UVA student).

EDing to any school right now isn't a good idea. Nonetheless I would ED to Michigan over UVA because the summer start program will allow you to quickly get in a set of grades and drop out if you get grades at or below the median GPA. There is no real world difference in your ability to get a job from UVA and Michigan anyway.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Just found this guy last year (Similar Numbers) who EDed to UVA January and got in: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/paulySch

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:19 pm

basketball law guy wrote:Just a simple/stupid question about UVA being splitter friendly. Does it apply if you have a high GPA and a lower LSAT? I took the October LSAT and have no idea how I did but PT 158-163. GPA 3.98. Would UVA be an option for a 3.98/160 or so type of applicant?
With that GPA you need to focus on retaking and studying your ass off, not on how low you can score to still pay full price at UVA.

JDeezy

Bronze

Post by JDeezy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:53 am

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:57 pm

What the consensus on the Penn v. UVA ED?

Is the Penn turn around fast enough that if one EDs the first possible day they will here back 100% before UVAs ED deadline expires?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”