A lot of variables... what schools are realistic? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
KVS

New

A lot of variables... what schools are realistic?

Post by KVS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:28 am

I've gotten MANY conflicted answers from admission consultants, lsat prep teachers, lawyers, law students, and I'm at a loss. I want to go into the field of entertainment law/intellectual property - digital rights. I either want to be in NYC or LA (lived and worked in both - originally from NJ/NYC, lived in LA for a little over a year). My stats are as follows:

-Female
-ethnicity: black, Dominican, Hawaiian, Japanese (yes, this is 100% accurate, not stretching or exaggerating - I'm a mutt, I know)
- I am first generation on my mothers side to be born in the USA, and the first on my mom's side with a college degree.
-my mother -catholic, my father - Jewish (raised in both faiths)
-my brother has autism (tons of "personal statement" moments there)
-I graduated in 2005 with a 3.45 GPA - major in music: concentration in industry/minor in public relations
-I've been working since graduation for major entertainment companies (MTV, Sony, Atlantic Records, LA Reid Publishing) consistently and successfully.
-my LSAT as of my last practice exam is a 143 (please don't make me feel worse about this than I already do. I know its dismal and horrible, no need to remind me).
-I'm a lesbian

I've had many people tell me because of my work experience, and the quality of my work experience that my LSAT score doesn't have to be as great, but a 143 is disgusting. I'm very frustrated with myself, but seeing as I'm taking it this Saturday I'm not sure how much more I can improve. Any advice (constructive please - I'm not here to be insulted), I would SINCERELY appreciate. I'm not sure which schools to consider anymore because I'm pretty sure that due to my lsat score my dream schools are out of my reach, which is super depressing, but going to law school and becoming a lawyer is a goal I refuse to give up on so I have come up with some game plan as far as applications go. Does any of the above work in my favor? Is there anything I should highlight more than the other? Are there things I shouldn't mention at all that are irrelevant? Any advice and direction is genuinely appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for everyone time in answering!

EvilClinton

Bronze

Re: A lot of variables... what schools are realistic?

Post by EvilClinton » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:31 am

Nothing you can get into with a 143 is worth going to.

KVS

New

Post by KVS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 am

EvilClinton wrote:Nothing you can get into with a 143 is worth going to.
I appreciate the honesty.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 am

If you're not ready to retake the LSAT, don't retake the LSAT yet. Find a way to spend as much time on the LSAT as you need to to maximize your chances of getting the job you want. Your career is a lot longer than LSAT prep, and will be a lot more painful if it's not what you want it to be.

KVS

New

Post by KVS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:45 am

IAFG wrote:If you're not ready to retake the LSAT, don't retake the LSAT yet. Find a way to spend as much time on the LSAT as you need to to maximize your chances of getting the job you want. Your career is a lot longer than LSAT prep, and will be a lot more painful if it's not what you want it to be.
I totally understand. I haven't taken the exam yet. I'm supposed to this Saturday. When asking my LSAT prep instructor today for advice on if I should postpone until December and try to get my score up, she said that I should take it and study until December and if I feel like my score is significantly improved take it again and just apply with two LSAT scores. I'm not sure how I feel about this - most people I talk to discourage having 2 LSAT scores on your application as well as applying that late to schools. But I'm not exactly thrilled to feel like I'm setting myself up for disaster taking it this Saturday either. Anyone have any thoughts? Is having 2 scores THAT horrible?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:46 am

KVS wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you're not ready to retake the LSAT, don't retake the LSAT yet. Find a way to spend as much time on the LSAT as you need to to maximize your chances of getting the job you want. Your career is a lot longer than LSAT prep, and will be a lot more painful if it's not what you want it to be.
I totally understand. I haven't taken the exam yet. I'm supposed to this Saturday. When asking my LSAT prep instructor today for advice on if I should postpone until December and try to get my score up, she said that I should take it and study until December and if I feel like my score is significantly improved take it again and just apply with two LSAT scores. I'm not sure how I feel about this - most people I talk to discourage having 2 LSAT scores on your application as well as applying that late to schools. But I'm not exactly thrilled to feel like I'm setting myself up for disaster taking it this Saturday either. Anyone have any thoughts? Is having 2 scores THAT horrible?
That isn't the right question. The right question is, are you ready? And you're not.

KVS

New

Post by KVS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:54 am

That isn't the right question. The right question is, are you ready? And you're not.
Touché.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:06 am

There are a lot of resources on this forum to help you study. Do not listen to bad advice from anyone who tells you that your LSAT score won't matter. Law school admissions is all a numbers game.

KVS

New

Post by KVS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:12 am

sunynp wrote:There are a lot of resources on this forum to help you study. Do not listen to bad advice from anyone who tells you that your LSAT score won't matter. Law school admissions is all a numbers game.
Thank you so much for saying that. That has been one of the most frustrating conflicting messages I've gotten. I feel like its been said to me to make me feel optimistic, but what I need to know right now is what is realistic. I guess my question is now, should I even bother with the test this Saturday and just postpone and shoot for December? My score can't get lower, but I'll be fighting for less spots - or should I just have 2 scores and let them take the highest? I'm leaning towards postponing....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

transfer2014

New

Post by transfer2014 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:44 am

Definitely postpone. If nothing else, at this point it is a waste of money. A 143 will not get you what you want.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 am

By the time you take the test for real, your strategy will (hopefully) be nothing like your current approach. For that reason, I'm not even sure that taking it Saturday will serve as good practice under test conditions. Postpone.

gspiel1232

New

Post by gspiel1232 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 am

Immediately buy the following:
Manhattan rc
Manhattan lr
Manhattan lg

Or

Velocity rc
Velocity lr
Velocity lg

Plus

Cambridge 1- 38 by q type

Plus

Every pt from 39 onward...

Read EVERY possible lsat post on here, especially pithys and dave halls (search) and profit untold amounts.
Use the manhattan forums for every single answer you dont understand...id postpone until Feb at this point..there are so many resources available its not even funny..honestly i dont think the odds are good at succeeding in law if you score anywhere near a 143. But that wont matter because if you work like your future depends on it, which it COMPLETELY does, you will improve leaps and bounds...believe!
a high score in February completely and utterly shatters any advantage you would have in taking the test now.

Worst comes to worst, work a menial job and study for a year...it is unquestionably REQUIRED that you drastically raise your lsat score over any other reasons for not postponing

Edit: i'm a music major too btw

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am

KVS wrote:
sunynp wrote:There are a lot of resources on this forum to help you study. Do not listen to bad advice from anyone who tells you that your LSAT score won't matter. Law school admissions is all a numbers game.
Thank you so much for saying that. That has been one of the most frustrating conflicting messages I've gotten.
There is nothing confusing or conflicting about it. Those who tell you that a low LSAT score can be mitigated by other circumstances are either misinformed or lying.

You need a plan of attack, and it probably does not involve doing what you've been doing. I suggest pitypike's methods. You just have to be disciplined and thorough.

You really shouldn't be considering applying until you score at least in the mid 150s. No ethnic diversity or family hardships will make up for a low LSAT. But the good news is that the LSAT can be learned and a big score increase is totally possible. You really shouldn't take the test on Saturday if you think you might score in the 140s. It's just a waste of time, money, and one of your tests.

Good luck

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KVS

New

Post by KVS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Thank you everyone for the very smart advice. I'll try to update this and let you guys know what the out come is (if anyone cares). After much consideration I've decided to take the test this Saturday and I will give myself the option of taking it again in December if I need to. Games is by far my worst area (my reading comp and LR are actually not that bad, just need to get my speed up a bit) and I'm just going to concentrate on games super hard for the next few days and see where it puts me then go from there.

gspiel1232

New

Post by gspiel1232 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Sigh...
Dont take the test.

A 143 or anything within many standard deviations will look terrible...TERRIBLE to a good school, even if they take the top score.

Why wont you postpone? The odds of getting "lucky" on tgis test for you (which would end up still being well below a solid score and realistically well below average, are NOT good at all....

I dont understand at all

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:10 pm

KVS wrote:Thank you everyone for the very smart advice. I'll try to update this and let you guys know what the out come is (if anyone cares). After much consideration I've decided to take the test this Saturday and I will give myself the option of taking it again in December if I need to. Games is by far my worst area (my reading comp and LR are actually not that bad, just need to get my speed up a bit) and I'm just going to concentrate on games super hard for the next few days and see where it puts me then go from there.
You aren't going to be ready by December either. You're not going to be ready this cycle. It's okay. Waiting a year will be the best decision you ever made. Focus your energy on setting yourself up to be able to wait another year, whatever that means for you.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:18 pm

IAFG wrote:
KVS wrote:Thank you everyone for the very smart advice. I'll try to update this and let you guys know what the out come is (if anyone cares). After much consideration I've decided to take the test this Saturday and I will give myself the option of taking it again in December if I need to. Games is by far my worst area (my reading comp and LR are actually not that bad, just need to get my speed up a bit) and I'm just going to concentrate on games super hard for the next few days and see where it puts me then go from there.
You aren't going to be ready by December either. You're not going to be ready this cycle. It's okay. Waiting a year will be the best decision you ever made. Focus your energy on setting yourself up to be able to wait another year, whatever that means for you.
For real. If you're absolutely dead-fucking-set on taking the test this saturday, cancel your score at the end so it won't reflect poorly on you.

But seriously, just don't take the test, wait. If you feel ready by december, give it a shot. If not, just wait it out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:19 pm

For the love of God, cancel before the deadline. Your LSAT instructor is giving you terrible advice. (Which company?) If you're not ready, it's utterly senseless to take the test.

Don't be married to the idea of having to take it in December, either. The LSAT is the most important part of your application -- by far. Let your readiness to take the test determine when you will take it. If that's next June, so be it.

izha

New

Post by izha » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:56 pm

KVS wrote: -ethnicity: black, Dominican, Hawaiian, Japanese (yes, this is 100% accurate, not stretching or exaggerating - I'm a mutt, I know)

Hey, I would admit you even with 134, just for a fun of learning which of your black, Dominican, Hawaiian, Japanese grandparents happened to be Jewish.

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:17 pm

I would also add that if you're going to school set on doing entertainment law, you probably should reconsider going to law school at all. If you do go set on this specialty, be sure not to take on any debt.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Why do you want to go to law school if you seem to be successful working for entertainment companies?
KVS wrote:I've gotten MANY conflicted answers from admission consultants, lsat prep teachers, lawyers, law students, and I'm at a loss. I want to go into the field of entertainment law/intellectual property - digital rights. I either want to be in NYC or LA (lived and worked in both - originally from NJ/NYC, lived in LA for a little over a year). My stats are as follows:

-Female
-ethnicity: black, Dominican, Hawaiian, Japanese (yes, this is 100% accurate, not stretching or exaggerating - I'm a mutt, I know)
- I am first generation on my mothers side to be born in the USA, and the first on my mom's side with a college degree.
-my brother has autism (tons of "personal statement" moments there)
-I graduated in 2005 with a 3.45 GPA - major in music: concentration in industry/minor in public relations
-I've been working since graduation for major entertainment companies (MTV, Sony, Atlantic Records, LA Reid Publishing) consistently and successfully.
-my LSAT as of my last practice exam is a 143 (please don't make me feel worse about this than I already do. I know its dismal and horrible, no need to remind me).
-I'm a lesbian

I've had many people tell me because of my work experience, and the quality of my work experience that my LSAT score doesn't have to be as great, but a 143 is disgusting. I'm very frustrated with myself, but seeing as I'm taking it this Saturday I'm not sure how much more I can improve. Any advice (constructive please - I'm not here to be insulted), I would SINCERELY appreciate. I'm not sure which schools to consider anymore because I'm pretty sure that due to my lsat score my dream schools are out of my reach, which is super depressing, but going to law school and becoming a lawyer is a goal I refuse to give up on so I have come up with some game plan as far as applications go. Does any of the above work in my favor? Is there anything I should highlight more than the other? Are there things I shouldn't mention at all that are irrelevant? Any advice and direction is genuinely appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for everyone time in answering!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Schools care about two things. Your LSAT and GPA. I think it's safe to say your URM will give you a bump but your brother having autism and living under two faiths, being lesbian, seems incredibly irrelevant. You could write about these in your essay if you absolutely have to include it. LS also calculates GPA differently, so, you're going to want to figure that out as well. It could possibly be under a 3.4 or higher, idk. If you cannot break 160 on your second score I would stop even considering LS and never look back.

Clarity

Bronze

Post by Clarity » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Did you end up taking the October test?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”