ED or RD to Penn this cycle? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

ED to Penn?

1) Yes
35%
2) No
65%

Total votes: 20

yong1ekim

New

ED or RD to Penn this cycle?

Post by yong1ekim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey guys,

Raw #s: LSAT 169, LSDAS 3.84
Additional: NO URM, 2 years out of school (working primarily with church)

So from what I hear last cycle candidates that ED'd to Penn did not receive $$.

Are my chances weak for RD to Penn? People tell me Penn ED is probably the best T14 I have a shot at getting into with my stats. Would you agree?
Also, I hear this cycle the medians for Penn may drop to 169? Does that have any effect?

Want Columbia/NYU (in that order) but I'm not so sure about my chances even with ED and my numbers.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Last edited by yong1ekim on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phlash58

New

Re: ED or RD to Penn this cycle?

Post by Phlash58 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Can you eek out 3 more points on the LSAT? Looking at being a lock at CCN and down with the possibility of $ at CCN and $$-$$$ everywhere else.

Otherwise, Penn with $ and no ED should be used. I know they have a 171/164 split, but I am assuming (perhaps erroneously) that the median is 169 or lower.
A fair chance at NYU
Probable Waitlist at CLS. ED may help you get off the waitlist toward the end of the cycle, but will unlikely move you from WL to acceptance during the initial determination.

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:18 am

yong1ekim wrote:Hey guys,

Are my chances weak for RD to Penn? People tell me Penn ED is probably the best T14 I have a shot at getting into with my stats. Would you agree?
Also, I hear this cycle the medians for Penn may drop to 169? Does that have any effect?

Want Columbia/NYU (in that order) but I'm not so sure about my chances even with ED and my numbers.

Do you really want to go? Do you mind paying 200K instead of possibly 125K at another T14? It's up to you, but I think you will get in if you ED. I also don't think the job prospects are all that better at Penn than other T14's. I just think that Penn is good if you are from the East Coast and want to stay there/live in Philly for 3 years.

yong1ekim

New

Post by yong1ekim » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:38 am

Chickensoup wrote:
yong1ekim wrote:Hey guys,

Do you really want to go? Do you mind paying 200K instead of possibly 125K at another T14? It's up to you, but I think you will get in if you ED. I also don't think the job prospects are all that better at Penn than other T14's. I just think that Penn is good if you are from the East Coast and want to stay there/live in Philly for 3 years.
While I do want to go to Penn (because of prestige, biglaw placement, school environment, location, etc...) it is not my 1st choice. Also, the 200K is what scares me most. I just want to get into the best school possible with my #s and people have been telling me Penn may be my best option via the ED.

I would like to stay on the east coast if possible (preferably NY-Philadelphia area).
My dream school has and still is Columbia, but I know Columbia does not give much weight to ED than RD so I don't see the point of EDing there.
NYU is also high on my list but I'm not sure if even EDing there with my #s gives me a shot...I try taking LSN with a grain of salt because even with similar #s, not all applicants are the same...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am

ED NYU. Above median gpa, 25th% LSAT. You should be fine

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yong1ekim

New

Post by yong1ekim » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:55 am

JamMasterJ wrote:ED NYU. Above median gpa, 25th% LSAT. You should be fine
Dang, I just took a look at your LSN profile JamMasterJ. What do you think was the cause of your tough cycle last year?

I see you're attending NYU right now (congrats). But then again, you have an extremely high LSAT and a very respectable GPA.

Do you really think the ED would give me a boost enough to have a good shot at NYU? Any other recommendations to possibly

increase my chances there? Thanks!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:36 pm

yong1ekim wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:ED NYU. Above median gpa, 25th% LSAT. You should be fine
Dang, I just took a look at your LSN profile JamMasterJ. What do you think was the cause of your tough cycle last year?

I see you're attending NYU right now (congrats). But then again, you have an extremely high LSAT and a very respectable GPA.

Do you really think the ED would give me a boost enough to have a good shot at NYU? Any other recommendations to possibly

increase my chances there? Thanks!
I have no idea why my cycle was weird, though I know many splitters had a tough time. We all seemed to end up ok though.

I think ED will work for you b/c that gpa is probably above our median (unconfirmed). Other than that, RD plus a bunch of LOCI's when you're waitlisted, or retaking the LSAT.

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm

You are a good candidate for an ED to Penn. Strong numbers, but not strong enough to be admitted RD (at least unless you have something that is really special in your app).

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Phlash58 wrote:Can you eek out 3 more points on the LSAT? Looking at being a lock at CCN and down with the possibility of $ at CCN and $$-$$$ everywhere else.

Otherwise, Penn with $ and no ED should be used. I know they have a 171/164 split, but I am assuming (perhaps erroneously) that the median is 169 or lower.
A fair chance at NYU
Probable Waitlist at CLS. ED may help you get off the waitlist toward the end of the cycle, but will unlikely move you from WL to acceptance during the initial determination.
I would be surprised if the median LSAT dropped.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yong1ekim

New

Post by yong1ekim » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:05 am

I'm dumb. I guess it's selective memory? I forgot to mention I have a 162 (DEC 2010) from a year before my 169 (OCT 2011).

I have an addendum explaining the score difference (family business severely hit by recession so unexpected study conditions+work schedule).

Does this all but screw my shot at ED to NYU or ED to Penn? I know NYU averages scores so my LSAT would drop to 165.
Would it be a waste of an ED if I applied to NYU? I hear Penn takes the highest score (esp. w/ an addendum) but I don't know if ED to Penn would be wasted with my 2 lsat scores as well...

I really am set on EDing to either school right now, just not sure what to do...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:40 am

NYU doesn't average scores. Unfortunately neither Penn nor NYU looks all that likely with your current numbers which is why a retake could be huge. If you really prefer NYC to anywhere else and have some money in the bank I'd ED NYU and then just see what happens.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Alternatively, enjoy Michigan RD with dollaz.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”