Chemical Engineer, IP Law. Need help! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mmbowling

New

Chemical Engineer, IP Law. Need help!

Post by mmbowling » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi All,

I'm currently faced with a tough decision. My two options are:

Go to Ohio State/ Cincinnati full time and take on about $60k in debt.

OR

Go to Toledo part time and work at a job making about $80k per year with no law school debt. Will a law degree at Toledo with 4 years of work experience in engineering be enough to get me a job in IP law or a job as an attorney for a company? or is the Toledo degree that bad?

THANKS!!

collegebum1989

Bronze

Re: Chemical Engineer, IP Law. Need help!

Post by collegebum1989 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:22 pm

depends on the job you will be doing when you are in law school. $80k a year is really good, and if you will be working as a patent agent, you will also be gaining experience, gaining contacts and getting a law degree all at once while getting paid.

But it depends on your career goals after law school. Need to specify that to consider the two options.

mmbowling

New

Post by mmbowling » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:57 pm

I would just be working as an engineer, not a patent agent. I ultimately want to be a patent attorney, but am afraid of throwing about pretty much $300k unnecessarily.

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:20 pm

mmbowling wrote:I would just be working as an engineer, not a patent agent. I ultimately want to be a patent attorney, but am afraid of throwing about pretty much $300k unnecessarily.
Apply to the PTO, become an Examiner. Suffer through any of the DC area schools at night. Transfer to private sector. Profit.

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 pm

sky7 wrote:
mmbowling wrote:I would just be working as an engineer, not a patent agent. I ultimately want to be a patent attorney, but am afraid of throwing about pretty much $300k unnecessarily.
Apply to the PTO, become an Examiner. Suffer through any of the DC area schools at night. Transfer to private sector. Profit.
TITCR, I spoke to a friend today who's a patent litigator in DC, and he says night-school at GULC or GW are good options to combine with PTO job if you are not willing to take on debt. Without knowing your numbers, its not possible to predict if you will be able to attend these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patentlybored

New

Post by patentlybored » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:34 am

Yeah, except the uspto pulled their reqs recently so you'll have to wait a couple months (along with me) if u go that route. Then, once you submit an app it might be 5 months til u start, if hired. Or don't do that and give the rest of us a better shot. K thx

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:13 am

patentlybored wrote:Yeah, except the uspto pulled their reqs recently so you'll have to wait a couple months (along with me) if u go that route. Then, once you submit an app it might be 5 months til u start, if hired. Or don't do that and give the rest of us a better shot. K thx

Fair. But it's still the best route.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”