Should I RD UVA? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

What should I do?

Apply ED to UVA and go from there
43%
Apply RD to UVA and hope for the best
57%

Total votes: 14

Yardbird

Silver

Should I RD UVA?

Post by Yardbird » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:54 am

Crisis averted: I'm gonna stick with early decision.
Last edited by Yardbird on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nickg415

Bronze

Re: Should I RD UVA? 3.15 / 174

Post by Nickg415 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Hey there, I have a slightly better GPA (3.28) and a much worst LSAT (170) and will probably be EDing UVA. That being said if I had your numbers I would be pretty confident in the RD at UVA as well as Penn. You might have to ride out the waitlist, but I am guessing that you would be one of the first of the waitlist (Definitely before me!). I would send apps out from Chicago down with a few high yielding scholarship schools lower down and then be prepared to ride out waitlists.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27 pm

RD due to DAT SCHOLLY CONSIDERATION as well as DAT DECLINE IN ACCEPTABLE APPLICANTS.

Yardbird

Silver

Re: Should I RD UVA?

Post by Yardbird » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Anyone else want to chime in? I could really use some advice on this
Nickg415 wrote:Hey there, I have a slightly better GPA (3.28) and a much worst LSAT (170) and will probably be EDing UVA. That being said if I had your numbers I would be pretty confident in the RD at UVA as well as Penn. You might have to ride out the waitlist, but I am guessing that you would be one of the first of the waitlist (Definitely before me!). I would send apps out from Chicago down with a few high yielding scholarship schools lower down and then be prepared to ride out waitlists.
I don't really wanna bank my future on the possibility that I'll get waitlisted instead of rejected and then the slim possibility of getting off the waitlist. That doesn't seem worth the risk.
InGoodFaith wrote:RD due to DAT SCHOLLY CONSIDERATION as well as DAT DECLINE IN ACCEPTABLE APPLICANTS.
The scholarship consideration is the only reason I'm looking at it. I get that there are less 174+ scores floating around - the question is whether UVA will take an extreme splitter who didn't do ED without waitlisting them.
Last edited by Yardbird on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:24 pm

You won't get rejected off the bat, no chance that happens. It will be a probably WL with a not-insignificant chance of an outright acceptance if you catch them on the right day and write a good Why UVA.

What other schools are you considering and how much money would it take for you to choose them over UVA at sticker?
So going down the list:
HYS - lolnop
CC - If you won't sleep well unless you apply go for it but probably better ways to spend that ~200 bucks
NP - Shot at both especially with ED, would you prefer either over UVA?
M - Same situation as V, probable WL but if they let you in you could probably negotiate up to 45k, is that enough to prefer it over V?
BD - See CC
NU - Do you have WE? You are looking at 60k and probable RD acceptance, would you prefer it over UVA sticker with that scholarship? (NU is more expensive, that 60k is not actually a 60k difference)
Cornell - Probable WL though you could probably get off, scholarship unlikely
GULC - As much as perhaps 90-105k

I would probably RD everywhere unless you prefer N or P and then ED to your choice of those. Answering for my personal preference, I think a lot of those options above are equal or better than UVA at sticker and your odds of getting locked out of the T14 are slim.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:47 pm

2014 wrote:You won't get rejected off the bat, no chance that happens. It will be a probably WL with a not-insignificant chance of an outright acceptance if you catch them on the right day and write a good Why UVA.

What other schools are you considering and how much money would it take for you to choose them over UVA at sticker?
So going down the list:
HYS - lolnop
CC - If you won't sleep well unless you apply go for it but probably better ways to spend that ~200 bucks
NP - Shot at both especially with ED, would you prefer either over UVA?
M - Same situation as V, probable WL but if they let you in you could probably negotiate up to 45k, is that enough to prefer it over V?
BD - See CC
NU - Do you have WE? You are looking at 60k and probable RD acceptance, would you prefer it over UVA sticker with that scholarship? (NU is more expensive, that 60k is not actually a 60k difference)
Cornell - Probable WL though you could probably get off, scholarship unlikely
GULC - As much as perhaps 90-105k

I would probably RD everywhere unless you prefer N or P and then ED to your choice of those. Answering for my personal preference, I think a lot of those options above are equal or better than UVA at sticker and your odds of getting locked out of the T14 are slim.
I'm not even looking at HYS. Columbia/NYU would be nice, but I might even still take UVA over either of those. Michigan would be in the running if they gave me $, but otherwise UVA would still be my top choice. For NU, I don't have full-time work experience, but I have a great part-time WE - it's basically full-time and I've been doing it for 3 years now (starting my fourth year - I won't name what it is since it would immediately identify me once my apps go out). My pre-law advisor seems to think NU is very much in the running should I choose to shoot apps out in lieu of just a UVA ED app. GULC is also attractive because one of my LOR writers also happens to be a GULC alum and sold it pretty well to me - she also sold UVA pretty well since she went there a lot to visit friends. I'm still leaning heavily toward the UVA ED since it is pretty much my dream school and the only reason I don't want to ED to UVA is to try and get some $$$ from UVA.
Last edited by Yardbird on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

dsc1943

New

Post by dsc1943 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:00 pm

I applied with almost identical numbers to you this cycle (3.08/175), non URM decent softs and was flat-out rejected (I'm guessing b/c I applied really late, in late January). Here's how my T14 apps went:
Columbia- WL
NYU- WL then accepted, attending
Penn- WL
Duke- rejected
UVA- rejected
NU- accepted, 60k after NYU acceptance
Gtown- WL withdrew after NYU acceptance
Cornell- WL withdrew after NYU acceptance

If I were you I'd probably just apply RD b/c of the chance of other acceptances and the opportunity to negotiate $, but if you're deadset on UVA and don't mind sticker EDing makes sense.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 pm

It sounds like you would consider UVA at sticker over most of your other options and honestly given how liberally they WL and how stingy they are if/when they do let you in, I think you should probably just ED. You will never know if you left money on the table by doing so, but there is an extremely real chance that you get locked out of UVA if you don't ED, and while other T14s are fine schools, your #1 appears to be UVA.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:46 pm

2014 wrote:It sounds like you would consider UVA at sticker over most of your other options and honestly given how liberally they WL and how stingy they are if/when they do let you in, I think you should probably just ED. You will never know if you left money on the table by doing so, but there is an extremely real chance that you get locked out of UVA if you don't ED, and while other T14s are fine schools, your #1 appears to be UVA.
My thoughts exactly - like I said, I'm leaning heavily toward the ED route. The RD route is just nagging at me a little, so I thought I'd at least see what others thought (my family isn't a good soundboard for this because they don't understand the process...they keep telling me to ED to Harvard - its a long conversation to try and explain that (1) Harvard doesn't have an ED application and (2) my numbers aren't good enough for Harvard).
Last edited by Yardbird on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:26 pm

I would personally ED - I don't think they like their splitters much RD, just my two cents. I had better numbers than you, was waitlisted and withdrew. Months later they sent me a rejection.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:36 pm

czelede wrote:I would personally ED - I don't think they like their splitters much RD, just my two cents. I had better numbers than you, was waitlisted and withdrew. Months later they sent me a rejection.
They sent you a rejection after you withdrew? They must really not have liked you :(

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:27 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
czelede wrote:I would personally ED - I don't think they like their splitters much RD, just my two cents. I had better numbers than you, was waitlisted and withdrew. Months later they sent me a rejection.
They sent you a rejection after you withdrew? They must really not have liked you :(
Haha I know! I assume they just didn't get my withdrawal the first time, but they could've just hated me that much. In all reality though, a LOT of splitters ED - so I think they take very few splitters RD in order to keep that balance of numbers. Just my two cents.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”