How much does K-JD hurt chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
roflmaozedong

New

How much does K-JD hurt chances?

Post by roflmaozedong » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Applying in the fall and I'm hoping for HYS. I have decent stats (above both medians) but I've seen profiles on LSN that have been rejected with similar numbers and they were all K-JD. Just wondering how much applying straight out of undergrad affects chances and if full time summer internships (F100 finance gig, teaching non-profit) would make up for it?

Tanicius

Gold

Re: How much does K-JD hurt chances?

Post by Tanicius » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't think the problem tends to be not having work experience, but not having something itneresting about yourself to show off or talk about. Assuming numbers are in range, you will have a shot if you get passed the interesting disadvantage.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:45 pm

I mean it's not helpful, but it's not necessarily hurtful if you spent your time in UG and summers doing meaningful work outside of the classroom. It's also important that your personal statement shows some maturity and perspective, and doesn't come off as a Live Journal post from a sophomore.

At Harvard, I know about 30% of the class is K-JD. I would hypothesize that stats are only more important for these people, but you're not a lock.

Long story short, apply to HYS your senior year while simultaneously looking for jobs. If you don't get HYS the first go around, you'll be near a lock if you have a year or two of work under your belt.

twiffy

New

Post by twiffy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:16 pm

hope you don't mind me asking, but what does k-jd mean?

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:19 pm

twiffy wrote:hope you don't mind me asking, but what does k-jd mean?
Kindergarten through JD, ie someone who doesn't take any years off before going to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”