176/3.23/military veteran - ED advice Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yarch

New

176/3.23/military veteran - ED advice

Post by yarch » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:57 pm

LSAT: 176
GPA: 3.23
Major: Electrical Engineering (top 3 engineering, top 10 overall)
WE: 7 years as a Navy officer
URM: Nope

My goal (assuming I don't change my mind in LS) is patent prosecution/IP work in DC or the SF Bay area.

I'll be submitting an addendum on downward GPA trend my sophomore/junior years and strong upward trend my senior year. For what it's worth, I'll also discuss subsequent maturity gained via my job and my current 4.0 GPA in a CS Master's program.

I plan to ED to UVA since my dream school (Boalt) is out and UVA is my second choice outside of HYSCCN, all of which seem unattainable. I'll also be blanketing the back half of the T14 and most of the T25.

I'm curious as to what to do when/if UVA dings me, since it seems to be one of the more splitter-friendly ED schools.

Would I have a decent chance with a follow-on ED at Penn/Michigan given my numbers and softs or should I ED to GULC if my UVA app falls through? LSN doesn't have a ton of data on ED applicants with my numbers at Penn and Michigan, and I haven't yet found any with WE similar to mine.

Also, would it be worth my while to put in a diversity statement, or is that something typically only considered for URMs?

Any thoughts would be awesome.

Thanks!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: 176/3.23/military veteran - ED advice

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Definitely don't ED to UVA. vets often get a pretty solid boost, and with your numbers, I would assume you'll get at least 1 of HYSCCN

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Don't count Boalt out! I had almost the same stats as you, also STEM undergrad, but no veteran experience and I was admitted to Boalt, as well as Chi and NYU.

However, UVA tends to take all their splitters ED so if it's Boalt > UVA > everything else, an ED to UVA could be worth it. UVA was actually the only school in my cycle to reject me (three months AFTER I withdrew from their waitlist, no less - that was a really fun email surprise, haha).

Edit: Went back and re-read your post. You'll get into one of CCN, and I would wager at least 1 of MVP (I think you would probably get both M and P RD, to be honest). If there's one of CCN you like I would ED there; otherwise, take your chances RD - with your softs I think you'll have a great cycle. I know TLS has the mentality that softs don't matter, but when it comes to super splitters they really do. And Boalt LOVES their soft factors.

And also, schools do take into account your major when looking at your GPA.
Last edited by czelede on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Also, I put in a non-minority DS. I think it helped.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:24 pm

I don't think you should ED because you might snag a HYS. Not sure if it is certain, but you are going to get some T10 offers for sure at least from UVA and UM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Zero chance of HYS but solid chance at each of CCN off of the WL. An ED to NYU might get you in off the bat too but I don't know if sticker there is a good idea.

You should blanket 4-14 and you should get several, some with scholarships. UVA will end up being a crapshoot, but you have as good a shot as anyone at getting in off the WL which they use heavily.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm

I wouldn't count Stanford out. I've seen them dip below the gpa floor for a vet.

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm

176 LSAT? Forget ED. If you were combat arms in Navy, coughsqueelscough, then you definitely don't need ED. Apply to all T14 and sell your leadership skills.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”