3.1 169 NYC? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Easy-E

Platinum

3.1 169 NYC?

Post by Easy-E » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Scored a 169 on my recent go at the LSAT. Over-performed on LR big time, but missed 7 on games, a section that has been really hit or miss for me both times I prepped (161 in October). I'm a lifetime NJ resident, and would very much like to work in NYC. With my numbers as they are (average softs, 2 years WE), is a retake my only shot to get into NYC? My parents have offered to help out with my debt. They are both well-off, but I don't want to place a huge burden on them, as I have two brothers in fairly expensive undergrad schools. It's not so much that I can't fathom another retake in October, I'm just concerned I won't do any better than I did this time, as I way over performed on LR on test day.

So like I said, do I have any options with my current numbers, or if I am dead-set on NYC, is a retake my only choice? I've considered Rutgers (and working in NJ obviously) since the cost would be very low, but the job prospects worry me.

Edit: Just looking at LSP, and it has 21% and 26% "At/Below" for UVA and NU respectively. With the ED option (I don't know how accurate this is), I get a weak consider for UVA. I assumed 170 was the mark for either of these schools, at least for a splitter like me. Should I assume those are mostly URM?
Last edited by Easy-E on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asst. Principal Bone

New

Re: 3.1 169 NYC?

Post by Asst. Principal Bone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:46 pm

emarxnj wrote:Scored a 169 on my recent go at the LSAT. Over-performed on LR big time, but missed 7 on games, a section that has been really hit or miss for me both times I prepped (161 in October). I'm a lifetime NJ resident, and would very much like to work in NYC. With my numbers as they are (average softs, 2 years WE), is a retake my only shot to get into NYC? My parents have offered to help out with my debt. They are both well-off, but I don't want to place a huge burden on them, as I have two brothers in fairly expensive undergrad schools. It's not so much that I can't fathom another retake in October, I'm just concerned I won't do any better than I did this time, as I way over performed on LR on test day.

So like I said, do I have any options with my current numbers, or if I am dead-set on NYC, is a retake my only choice? I've considered Rutgers (and working in NJ obviously) since the cost would be very low, but the job prospects worry me.

ATTEND CUNY AND NEVER LOOK BACK.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:47 pm

You should be good for Fordham with your numbers.

No shot at Columbia or NYU with your GPA. So I'd say retake 1 more time, maybe you can sneak into a lower T14 which has better placement than Fordham.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:49 pm

abc12345675 wrote:You should be good for Fordham with your numbers.

No shot at Columbia or NYU with your GPA. So I'd say retake 1 more time, maybe you can sneak into a lower T14 which has better placement than Fordham.
Oh I'm aware CLS and NYU are right out, nothing I can do about that GPA now. I guess I'd have to talk to my parents about how much they would be comfortable putting in if indeed I was accepted to Fordham (which my GPA is also pretty low for), since that would be pretty damn expensive considering it's numbers aren't fantastic.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:49 pm

You will get the following, most likely with money: RU-N, RU-C, SHU, Brooklyn and Dozo. However, you would need signfiicant $$$ to make it worhtwhile. If you get Fordham it will probably be at sticker.
Why not retake? A 170 or higher and you can ED UVa then ED elsewhere if you do not get in. It will also give you an excellent shot at the NYC market from virtually any T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:55 pm

top30man wrote:You will get the following, most likely with money: RU-N, RU-C, SHU, Brooklyn and Dozo. However, you would need signfiicant $$$ to make it worhtwhile. If you get Fordham it will probably be at sticker.
Why not retake? A 170 or higher and you can ED UVa then ED elsewhere if you do not get in. It will also give you an excellent shot at the NYC market from virtually any T14.

I figured as much concerning the five schools you mentioned, but the prospects from them are obviously pretty dismal, and I wouldn't consider any of them without a large amount of money. Fordham would depend on support from my family, obviously a significant amount of money from them would make that an easier sell, but even Fordham isn't a shoe-in for a great NYC job.

I think in all likelihood I'll just man up and retake. Like I said, I'm concerned I won't perform as well as I did this time on LR, and the additional concern that I've used up every bit of recent materials.

Think there is any point to taking a shot at UVA ED with these numbers or is my GPA and <170 pretty much auto-deny? The LSP numbers lead me to believe it could be worth a hail mary, but if that includes URM then forget about it.

attractive_NUisance

New

Post by attractive_NUisance » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:01 pm

ED Northwestern or Virginia this year. If you don't get in re-apply next year hopefully with better lsat and more work experience. Keep it up until you get in. If you want to work for a big firm in New York they will give you much better chances than anywhere else.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:05 pm

attractive_NUisance wrote:ED Northwestern or Virginia this year. If you don't get in re-apply next year hopefully with better lsat and more work experience. Keep it up until you get in. If you want to work for a big firm in New York they will give you much better chances than anywhere else.

As I understand it, UVA's ED decision is pretty quick, so I guess I'd take a swing at that first, then NU if that doesn't happen. Seems like it'd be worth it to give it a shot, right?

An October retake still puts me in a pretty good decision time-wise to apply for 2013, assuming everything is in order when I get my score?

attractive_NUisance

New

Post by attractive_NUisance » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:10 pm

I know someone who reapplied several years in a row to Northwestern until he got in. Now going to a big firm. Sure it is worth a shot now. Yeah your plan sounds good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm

emarxnj wrote:
attractive_NUisance wrote:ED Northwestern or Virginia this year. If you don't get in re-apply next year hopefully with better lsat and more work experience. Keep it up until you get in. If you want to work for a big firm in New York they will give you much better chances than anywhere else.

As I understand it, UVA's ED decision is pretty quick, so I guess I'd take a swing at that first, then NU if that doesn't happen. Seems like it'd be worth it to give it a shot, right?

An October retake still puts me in a pretty good decision time-wise to apply for 2013, assuming everything is in order when I get my score?
You cannot ED NU if you have already ED'd another school per their policy

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:31 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

You cannot ED NU if you have already ED'd another school per their policy
Ed UVA will not work. I have the same lsat as OP and a Gpa .6 higher and I got wait listed. You need to be at a median.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:46 pm

FWIW i got $60K at fordham with ur lsat and a slightly higher gpa (~3.4 but still around/below 25th percentile)

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:45 pm

TLSwag wrote:FWIW i got $60K at fordham with ur lsat and a slightly higher gpa (~3.4 but still around/below 25th percentile)
URM or anything exceptional?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:05 pm

emarxnj wrote:
TLSwag wrote:FWIW i got $60K at fordham with ur lsat and a slightly higher gpa (~3.4 but still around/below 25th percentile)
Nope just ur avg white boy, no WE

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:24 pm

TLSwag wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Nope just ur avg white boy, no WE

Hm. I won't get my hopes up but that would certainly be nice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”