strong numbers...unusual personal history Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Dunconian

New

strong numbers...unusual personal history

Post by Dunconian » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:43 pm

So I'm pretty sure I can get into somewhere decent, but am curious if I might be a rare case where strong scores get rejected because of question marks regarding the rest of the application. GPA 3.93: LSAT 176. engineering major.

Last semester of UG I had already gotten into an ivy league professional program (not law) and thus slacked of a bit. Made a couple of Bs and was supposed to finish my last two UG classes concurrently with starting the professional program. I ended up landing the job I sought after the grad program soon after enrolling and consequently left the program after a semester. I also ended up not finishing my UG classes as a result of quite simply having more pressing priorities going on. Obviously a suspect decision, but I cannot change this now. After a year in the profession I realized that I didn't like the industry and ended up becoming a professional poker player (ridiculous I know, but true). It has been five years since UG. I have recently taken the last two classes left for my UG and received As in both. I have thought about law school for quite sometime, and this is not a spontaneous decision. I simply was waiting to return to school until I was really ready. Are the tip-top schools likely to be put off by the ending of my UG career? Should I provide a detailed addendum explaining what happened and how I have grown from the experience? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

dpk711

Silver

Re: strong numbers...unusual personal history

Post by dpk711 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:44 pm

No addendum required. Enjoy HYS.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Schools won't care.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Dunconian wrote:GPA 3.93: engineering major.

Flame much? If not, seems like you need to learn to do research ;)

Ok, in fairness, the downward trend could be legitimate concern that it isn't clear how schools will respond to, even if you are well aware that your numbers are ridiculously good (too good?)... But as others have said, non-issue. Enjoy HYS if you do have those numbers (with 3.94 engineering GPA no less).

Dunconian

New

Post by Dunconian » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:22 pm

yea i mean the numbers are real, the point is that i didn't finish my UG, dropped out of grad school, changed career paths, and have been playing poker for 5 years. I personally think playing poker professionally is very analytical and intellectually demanding, but I could understand if an admission committee was concerned about my apparent lack of direction. If i am concerned for no reason then that makes me very happy.

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:38 am

Dunconian wrote:yea i mean the numbers are real, the point is that i didn't finish my UG, dropped out of grad school, changed career paths, and have been playing poker for 5 years. I personally think playing poker professionally is very analytical and intellectually demanding, but I could understand if an admission committee was concerned about my apparent lack of direction. If i am concerned for no reason then that makes me very happy.
flame

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”