WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kristine88

New

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Post by kristine88 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:46 pm

I just graduated with my bachelors degree in Sociology with a cumilative GPA of 2.63. I want to attend law school, but I am thinking of getting my masters before entering law school, will my grades for my masters help my case? What do you guys think? Also, what are my chances of getting in to a law school in the LA area if I do really good on my LSATs?

Nova

Platinum

Re: WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Your GPA is really going to hurt you with Cali schools. Your UG grades are what matter because they are what the school reports to USNWR. If you know you want to be an attorney, skip the MA program.

No one can predict anything from the info you have given because the LSAT is the most important part of law school admissions.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:43 pm

kristine88 wrote:I just graduated with my bachelors degree in Sociology with a cumilative GPA of 2.63. I want to attend law school, but I am thinking of getting my masters before entering law school, will my grades for my masters help my case? What do you guys think? Also, what are my chances of getting in to a law school in the LA area if I do really good on my LSATs?
Masters will not help.
Zero chance for UCLA/USC, medium chance with high LSAT for LMU/USD, anything else who cares. Most people will tell you only go to LMU/USD with a huge scholarship

Go get work experience and with a 170+ LSAT you could go for NU which has a chance of getting you back to California.

kristine88

New

Post by kristine88 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:46 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
kristine88 wrote:I just graduated with my bachelors degree in Sociology with a cumilative GPA of 2.63. I want to attend law school, but I am thinking of getting my masters before entering law school, will my grades for my masters help my case? What do you guys think? Also, what are my chances of getting in to a law school in the LA area if I do really good on my LSATs?
Masters will not help.
Zero chance for UCLA/USC, medium chance with high LSAT for LMU/USD, anything else who cares. Most people will tell you only go to LMU/USD with a huge scholarship

Go get work experience and with a 170+ LSAT you could go for NU which has a chance of getting you back to California.

LMU and USD were actually two of my choices, so thats good. I was actually considering Southwestern also.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:54 pm

I think you should stop poasting in all caps.

I think you should follow this flowchart.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Why would you get a masters degree if you're already planning to go to law school? Biglaw firms won't care about your masters, and you're almost definitely going to end up wanting biglaw.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Why would you get a masters degree if you're already planning to go to law school? Biglaw firms won't care about your masters, and you're almost definitely going to end up wanting biglaw.
Umm haven't you heard? Higher education is edifying for its own sake, especially in the discipline of sociology.

Also, OP, how did you manage that low GPA in sociology?

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:10 pm

slam piece

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Why would you get a masters degree if you're already planning to go to law school? Biglaw firms won't care about your masters, and you're almost definitely going to end up wanting biglaw.
Umm haven't you heard? Higher education is edifying for its own sake, especially in the discipline of sociology.
I still would recommend the OP skip the masters and go immediately into a program of critical legal studies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSAT>LDAC

New

Post by LSAT>LDAC » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:I think you should stop poasting in all caps.

I think you should follow this flowchart.

(THIS)^2 + 10

kristine88

New

Post by kristine88 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:12 am

Came here for some mature advice, obviously only one or two needed to reply not those like rad lulz WHO SHOULD KEEP HIS UNECESSARY OPINON TO HIMSELF!

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:13 am

kristine88 wrote:Came here for some mature advice, obviously only one or two needed to reply not those like rad lulz WHO SHOULD KEEP HIS UNECESSARY OPINON TO HIMSELF!
LOL.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:18 am

kristine88 wrote:Came here for some mature advice, obviously only one or two needed to reply not those like rad lulz WHO SHOULD KEEP HIS UNECESSARY OPINON TO HIMSELF!
IDK WHY YOU ARE YELLING

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Band A Long

Bronze

Post by Band A Long » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:28 am

Your grades from your masters may show maturity much like regular work experience but will not overwrite your uGPA. Why don't you take a few practice tests and see how you're feeling wrt the LSAT? The GPA thing is a tough hill to climb, and your applications may benefit from at least some time between undergrad and LS — whether you want to spend it working right out of college or continuing your education in sociology is a personal choice based on your desires and financial situation.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 am

Do not attend Chapman/Southwestern without a nearly full ride.

Take the LSAT and see what your options are. Take a class first though!!! Dont' rush it. If you get a 169ish score maybe you can get a great offer from Pepperdine or Loyola, which aren't all that bad if you're getting a good discount and don't have crazy stips.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:33 am

Don't think about applying unless you get a 17x score on the LSAT. And no, your MA grades will not make up for your UG grades, in general, as the school has to report your UG grades to US News. Now, if you get a 17x, you might be able to break into a higher tier having done VERY well a reputable Masters program. But short of that, your MA program won't matter. Either way, 17x or bust... (I suppose I could go as low as 165+ or bust IF you do well in your MA program, but in that case, you're not breaking into a higher tier.)

You could get into Cooley wiht a lower LSAT score...but you don't want to.

kristine88

New

Post by kristine88 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:15 pm

\
Last edited by kristine88 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:42 pm

kristine88 wrote:Thanks eveyone for your advice, its greatly appreicated :)

abc12345675-I will definately be taking the class before I take the LSAT in October. I have time on my side for now since I only work 6 days instead of 7 days a week and don't have a full-time school schedule to worry about. So hopefully I do very well since it looks like it's my only hope right now.

Manojustice- Thanks your helping me see what exactly to shoot for, the kind of advice I came on here to see! :)

Band A Long- The maturity factor was what I was going for. Looks like the only thing I should really be concentrating on right now is getting an amazing LSAT score.

Nova, obviously you have no common sense. Get a life aren't there any other important issues in you people's lives to worry about other than the fact that I type in caps? Anyone else who is only on here to be a pure annoyance please refrain from resoponding and go waste your time elsewhere.
lol. just lol.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 pm

vpintz wrote:

abc12345675-I will definately be taking the class before I take the LSAT in October. I have time on my side for now since I only work 6 days instead of 7 days a week and don't have a full-time school schedule to worry about. So hopefully I do very well since it looks like it's my only hope right now.

Manojustice- Thanks your helping me see what exactly to shoot for, the kind of advice I came on here to see! :)

Band A Long- The maturity factor was what I was going for. Looks like the only thing I should really be concentrating on right now is getting an amazing LSAT score.

Nova, obviously you have no common sense. Get a life aren't there any other important issues in you people's lives to worry about other than the fact that I type in caps? Anyone else who is only on here to be a pure annoyance please refrain from resoponding and go waste your time elsewhere.
lol. just lol.
If there's one thing that screams "maturity" it's an MA in sociology.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
vpintz wrote:

lol. just lol.
If there's one thing that screams "maturity" it's an MA in sociology.
and all caps semi-meltdowns on lawl school forums.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Look, these people are giving you the best advice possible; Nova knows what he's talking about and I see nothing wrong with his advice; rad lulz is here just for that - the rad lulz. He also posted a flow chart that you (and others) should look at before creating a "what are my chances thread", which is what this thread basically is.

In short, don't do the MA program unless its free, since it will have an almost negligible impact on your chances at law school. Work hard on that LSAT and get the best score possible because with a low GPA, you'll need it.

Then, check out lawschoolnumbers and lawschoolpredictor.

Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:51 pm

I got an MA; it had no impact on my cycle.

lynch

New

Post by lynch » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:04 am

splitsplat wrote:slam piece

Slam piece?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:07 am

lynch wrote:
splitsplat wrote:slam piece