3.2/178 UVA? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
canoe

New

3.2/178 UVA?

Post by canoe » Thu May 31, 2012 4:38 am

Math major from top public school on West Coast

Purely interested in Biglaw (if that matters at all); as a result, I want to get into the highest ranking school as possible.

Due to my dismal gpa, I'm thinking the best school I could possibly get into is UVA or GULC??? I think NYU has a GPA floor of 3.3 and Penn has a small class size so I'm probably out there. I hate Michigan and Berkeley cares too much about GPA.

The help I need from you guys is: should I ED to UVA? The best case scenario for me is NYU so I would like to ED to NYU but I'm worried the next-best school (=UVA) might not accept me.

Stats-wise, I'm okay for UVA but I'm an international student so I might be held to higher standards of admission

hdsoc

Bronze

Re: 3.2/178 UVA?

Post by hdsoc » Thu May 31, 2012 10:38 am

I think you have a shot at NYU ED; looks like there are some people with your numbers getting in this year. It's not a lock by a long shot, but I think the risk is worth it. FWIW, I think you have a decent chance at Penn ED too, which is also better for NYC big law than UVA.

Just write all the extra essays and get everything in on day one, and I think you'll end up with at least one option.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu May 31, 2012 11:09 am

NYU ED > PENN ED > UVA

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am

You have time to ED to your preference of NYU or Penn and if that fails to still ED to UVA. Your chances are probably marginally better at Penn than NYU so I would probably do that.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 pm

I don't remember if you're still allowed to do this, but you can ED more than one school as long as you do so one at a time. Wait until you hear back from one ED school, and if you don't get in, you can ED somewhere else. Some schools like Northwestern don't let you do this (i.e. they won't let you ED if you already EDed somewhere else, even if you've already been deferred/waitlisted/rejected), though, so check each school's ED policy. You might be able to ED NYU and then UVA if necessary.

It used to be that schools like UVA would let you change an RD app to an ED app anytime. I don't remember if you're still allowed to. If not, the best strategy might be to not apply to UVA until you hear back from NYU.

canoe

New

Post by canoe » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:43 am

thanks everyone for the help.

one question: i know nyu is ranked higher than penn but with my statistics, I have a higher chance of getting into either school through nyu ED than penn ED right? anyone know what penn ED is like?

i'll probably go with nyu ED ---> uva ED if nyu doesn't work out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”