Trying to get a good idea of where I'll get in. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
abelay3

New

Trying to get a good idea of where I'll get in.

Post by abelay3 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Hey, guys long time lurker, first time poster. Just a suffering from a little anxiety concerning my odds of getting into a T1 law school.

GPA: 3.1
LSAT: 168 (Will probably retake)
Strong softs (lots of leadership exp, internship)
one time disciplinary probation =/
and URM (African American)

I'd preferably like to get into the top 50, even T14 as unlikely as that may be. However, I'd be happy getting into DePaul (Chicago). Any thoughts?

minnbills

Gold

Re: Trying to get a good idea of where I'll get in.

Post by minnbills » Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 pm

I don't know much about URM cycles but take a look here: lawschoolnumbers.com

That should give you the best idea. Also, I would guess you have a good shot at the T14.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Congrats on the LSAT!!

URM and splitter cycles are really unpredictable. It is really hit or miss. Def go to LSN like MB said.

T14 is in the realm of possibility but if you got your LSAT up to 170+, as an AA, you would a much better shot at T14 (not so much YSH/CCN). NU, GULC, and UVA are most likely to accept splitters.

You are likely to get scholarship offers from T20-T50. Im guessing you are from IL? Dont settle for a local TT unless its nearly free. You will have better offers. Midwest schools like IA, MN, IL, IN, and WUSTL are all probably worthy of an app if you dont mind relocating in the midwest. Plus Im sure you will have plenty of fee waivers all over the country. Go ahead and apply to TT and even some T1 you may not be interested in because they will help you negotiate schollys this time next year. Good luck!

BTW, Listing certain schools you have in mind would be helpful for giving nongeneral palm readings.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:38 pm

The standard URM who gets a boost tends to have a relatively higher GPA and lower LSAT so your cycle might be a wildcard. Here's a URM from this year with similar numbers, looks like he got really good offers from a few schools but a ton of WLs.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/plaid2012/jd

As you can see from there though you won't be looking at any worse than a T1 school with a good chunk of scholarship cash.

abelay3

New

Post by abelay3 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm really optimistic about where I'm going to get into. Do you guys think my disciplinary issue will be a significant factor? It was one time- the rest of my disciplinary history is completely clean. I just don't know how heavily law schools will weight that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abelay3

New

Post by abelay3 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 pm

And I'm sorry for not saying this earlier.

I currently go to UIllinois and before this posting the (abbreviated list of) schools I was going to apply to were:

UChicago (reach)
UMichigan
DePaul
Loyola- Chicago
UofIllinois @ Champaign
Indiana

I would like to stay in the Midwest preferably, but I will also explore as many options as possible.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri May 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Apply to Vanderbilt, WUSTL, UVA, Northwestern, UT-A, Georgetown, etc. You'll probably get into a few in the 12-25 range. Maybe apply to a few in the lower T10 as reaches.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Sat May 12, 2012 11:41 am

abelay3 wrote:And I'm sorry for not saying this earlier.
I currently go to UIllinois and before this posting the (abbreviated list of) schools I was going to apply to were:
UChicago (reach)
UMichigan
DePaul
Loyola- Chicago

UofIllinois @ Champaign
Indiana
I would like to stay in the Midwest preferably, but I will also explore as many options as possible.
fixed. also +1 to wustl, a 168 + urm will definitely get you in at wustl with $$

abelay3

New

Post by abelay3 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks for all the quick feedback. This has given me a much better idea about my prospects. My only other question at this point concerns my disciplinary infraction, which I referred to earlier. It is the only mark an otherwise completely clean history. I plan on writing an addendum, of course. Do you guys think this will significantly affect my chances of getting into these schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat May 12, 2012 4:56 pm

abelay3 wrote:Thanks for all the quick feedback. This has given me a much better idea about my prospects. My only other question at this point concerns my disciplinary infraction, which I referred to earlier. It is the only mark an otherwise completely clean history. I plan on writing an addendum, of course. Do you guys think this will significantly affect my chances of getting into these schools?
It depends on the infraction. Most likely, no, it will not hurt your cycle much.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Sun May 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Let lawschoolnumbers.com become your best friend. Also, check the URM forum.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”