Convincing Teachers to award A+ Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jredelman15

Bronze

Convincing Teachers to award A+

Post by Jredelman15 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:19 pm

So basically here it is. My school does not award (+) but for some reason it will award (-) both of which are not stated in the syllabi. Is there any hope for me to get the registrars office to take the (-) off of my transcripts? Also how do I convince the teachers to award a (+) rating?

Ludo!

Gold

Re: Convincing Teachers to award A+

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Lolwut, if you earned an A- you get an A-, if your school doesn't offer A+ then teachers can't give you an A+

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Lolwut, if you earned an A- you get an A-, if your school doesn't offer A+ then teachers can't give you an A+

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Lolwut, if you earned an A- you get an A-, if your school doesn't offer A+ then teachers can't give you an A+

they award them on a discretionary basis. Basically if they want to give you one they can and there is no set scale of what an A- is. In some classes its a 94 in others its an 89.5. It isnt that they dont offer the + just that the teachers dont like awarding them.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:

they award them on a discretionary basis. Basically if they want to give you one they can and there is no set scale of what an A- is. In some classes its a 94 in others its an 89.5. It isnt that they dont offer the + just that the teachers dont like awarding them.
Ok fine, but why would you want the registrar to take off the minus grades? You earned what you earned duder.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:30 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

Ok fine, but why would you want the registrar to take off the minus grades? You earned what you earned duder.
because it is not stated on the syllabus.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Well then that's different. If you have a good rapport with the teacher and you're in office hours you can probably bring it up without them being offended or anything. My school offered discretionary A+ but they didn't count towards your GPA so some teachers didn't give them out. I explained to a couple teachers that I was applying for law school and that A+ would factor into my LSAC GPA so if they felt I earned it I would appreciate the A+. I never asked them to not give me an A- though. If they think you earned an A- then that's what you get

bigeast03

Bronze

Post by bigeast03 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:

So then you "convince" the professor to give you an A+ by doing work that would be worthy of the (+). This means performing better than a 89.5 or a 94.

Also, you want them to not count the fact that you performed poorly because the grade you received is not on the syllabus, but then reward you with a grade that you didn't earn that is also not on the syllabus?

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:36 pm

bigeast03 wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

So then you "convince" the professor to give you an A+ by doing work that would be worthy of the (+). This means performing better than a 89.5 or a 94.

Also, you want them to not count the fact that you performed poorly because the grade you received is not on the syllabus, but then reward you with a grade that you didn't earn that is also not on the syllabus?
TBH kinda. I am asking for the + if and only if I deserve it. In turn I am asking to not be given a - even if I deserve it purely bc it hurts my LSADAS GPA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:38 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

If this is the best argument your can muster, it's no wonder you got a "-".

bigeast03

Bronze

Post by bigeast03 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:TBH kinda. I am asking for the + if and only if I deserve it. In turn I am asking to not be given a - even if I deserve it purely bc it hurts my LSADAS GPA
I mean, you can try. If you deserved it, the professor would have given it to you. You won't suddenly deserve it more if you ask him to give it to you. Maybe you should just work harder next time?

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:46 pm

Renzo wrote:
IF it is stated that an A is 900-1000 points and that there is no "+or-" stated on the syllabi then why would one care, other than personal satisfaction, if they got a 901 or a 1000? An "A" is an "A" and counts the same on the UG transcript. Yes it is a weak argument but it is an outlook of many students I am not alone in this opinion.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:46 pm

I hate every post in this thread except the second one

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:because it is not stated on the syllabus.
Pretty sure a syllabus isn't a binding contract.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
IF it is stated that an A is 900-1000 points and that there is no "+or-" stated on the syllabi then why would one care, other than personal satisfaction, if they got a 901 or a 1000? An "A" is an "A" and counts the same on the UG transcript. Yes it is a weak argument but it is an outlook of many students I am not alone in this opinion.
First: I haven't seen the syllabus, but it doesn't say that there is no + or -, does it?

Second: You're argument is you would've tried harder if someone told you there would be intermediate grade steps? That's not a winner.

wearefoxsports

New

Post by wearefoxsports » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:08 pm

What are you talking about?

If your school doesn't have an A+ in the grading system then there is no way for you to get an A+ regardless of how well you do in that class and what an individual teacher says / wants / puts in the syllabus.

If you think you deserve a grade better than A-, then follow the academic policies of your school about grade change: talk to the teacher and potentially escalate the issue properly. Either way, your questions have nothing to do with "What are my chances" section.

TheWeeIceMon

Silver

Post by TheWeeIceMon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm sure your teachers will have no problem awarding you the grade that you think you deserve. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this strategy in UG.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

Statistically speaking, you got as many in lieu of an A as you did in lieu of a B.

BruceDenton

New

Post by BruceDenton » Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

Flame? You really want teachers to just give you better grades than you earned so it will help your law school application?

Enjoy your teachers reviewing your work and changing your A-s to B+s.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Thu May 03, 2012 10:30 am

I don't understand this. You're asking the registrar to change your A- grade to an A or A+? Good luck with that.

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Thu May 03, 2012 10:40 am

I explained the difference between an A and A+ by LSAC standards for a teacher in an online class I took a few semesters back, and he ended up awarding me an A+. Most teachers don't know about the differing calculations so I would explain how there actually is a major difference between (+), regular, and (-). Unless you are complete annoy the teacher I doubt they would go out of their way to penalize you. However I only missed 1 quiz question over the duration of the entire class so I was sitting on a 99.x average for the class when I emailed him so don't expect miracles.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Thank you for the helpful responses. I have convinced 3 of my teachers to award me an A+ with my average in those classes being 97% or higher. I am also continuing one of my classes this summer for an additional 12 hrs and I will recieve another A+ in there. So that is 21hrs of A+. Thank you all for the advice. Additionally like I suspected they would not change the A-. I just thought it was worth a shot.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Thu May 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:Thank you for the helpful responses. I have convinced 3 of my teachers to award me an A+ with my average in those classes being 97% or higher. I am also continuing one of my classes this summer for an additional 12 hrs and I will recieve another A+ in there. So that is 21hrs of A+. Thank you all for the advice. Additionally like I suspected they would not change the A-. I just thought it was worth a shot.

Yes, going from A -> A+ is easier than going from A- -> A I think.

splitter13

New

Post by splitter13 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:27 pm

I wish my school offered A+'s, or AB type grades

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat May 05, 2012 12:46 am

I have received two A-'s..... It is what I got, period. My school doesn't award "+" either, anything 94 and above is an A. Honestly, I think that the whole +/- thing in the 90th percentile is stupid in UG, but that is the way it is.... Still have a 3.91 gpa.

I'm not sure how this helps you over the course of 40 classes in UG unless you have many, many A-'s....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”