Need based aid emergency! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Fortuitous

New

Need based aid emergency!

Post by Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 pm

I've been accepted to several schools but need some help with my FAFSFA forms. My parents refuse to disclose any financial information and I didn't pay taxes in 2010 because I earned less than 6K. I've pressed my parents several times on the issue and they are completely unwilling to budge. Please let me know how to best proceed!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Need based aid emergency!

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Call your schools' financial aid offices and ask for advice.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Call your schools' financial aid offices and ask for advice.
+1.

But what kind of parent does that? I understand it might be a pain but sheesh...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 pm

t14fanboy wrote:
+1.

But what kind of parent does that? I understand it might be a pain but sheesh...
This is like the 5th thread I've seen so far this year on the same subject, so it must be more common than you'd think.

Moriarty

Bronze

Post by Moriarty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Are they willing to fill it out on their own? (I know you can do this with Need Access.) Or could you log in, have them fill out the info while you look away or something, and then you sign the form at the end?

I mean, geez. Do they know it's absolutely necessary? (Didn't they fill out the forms for you for undergrad?) I'm sorry that you're having trouble and hope you get this resolved.

ETA: I'm assuming that they refuse to disclose the information to you, not to the schools. If they refuse to disclose to anyone, then I'd definitely call the admissions office.
Last edited by Moriarty on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Did that at one school and the person I talked to insisted that forms could not be considered complete without my fam's info. Next school I called seemed to be confused. I know I need to be persistent, but these conversations are sooo embarrassing. "Is your father deceased?" "No, he refuses to disclose any financial information" "Is he unemployed?" "No, he refuses to disclose any financial information." "Well, he has to report his financial information."

LE SIGH.

Uh yes, it sucks. He has a chip on his shoulder because I'm going to law school despite the fact that my entire family has been trying to talk me out of the idea since i was in high school/BEFORE THE RECESSION. eastern european immigrants/strongly opposed to lawyers/the idea of law school/elitism, etc.

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Moriarty wrote:Are they willing to fill it out on their own? (I know you can do this with Need Access.) Or could you log in, have them fill out the info while you look away or something, and then you sign the form at the end?

I mean, geez. Do they know it's absolutely necessary? (Didn't they fill out the forms for you for undergrad?) I'm sorry that you're having trouble and hope you get this resolved.
Thanks so much! They do know it's necessary and did not have to fill out forms for undergrad. Unfortunately, it's more a matter of principle for them. By going to law school, I'm rejecting my heritage/family and being "elitist". In case you haven't heard, "there are already too many lawyers!"

Thanks for the support everyone. I avoided posting about this for quite some time because I was just that embarrassed.

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:46 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:
+1.

This is like the 5th thread I've seen so far this year on the same subject, so it must be more common than you'd think.
Haha, really? I need to find these threads!

And yeah, it sucks, but they truly believe it is for my own good. Or at least they tell themselves it is for my own good so they can sleep at night? I was tempted to write a diversity statement on this, but I'm not URM and do not feel generally disadvantaged, so I just journaled instead.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Fortuitous wrote:
Moriarty wrote:Are they willing to fill it out on their own? (I know you can do this with Need Access.) Or could you log in, have them fill out the info while you look away or something, and then you sign the form at the end?

Thanks so much! They do know it's necessary and did not have to fill out forms for undergrad. Unfortunately, it's more a matter of principle for them. By going to law school, I'm rejecting my heritage/family and being "elitist". In case you haven't heard, "there are already too many lawyers!"

Thanks for the support everyone. I avoided posting about this for quite some time because I was just that embarrassed.
Well, you've got to stand your ground with your parents or the schools, because it's not magically going to fix itself. Either convince your parents to fill the stuff out, or convince the schools that your parents really are an insurmountable obstacle. Don't get "embarrassed" and wimp out at the first automatic 'no'. Calmly, logically and insistently explain about your parents' idiosyncrasies. If calling doesn't work, you might be able to reach someone higher up if you email vs. call: the difference may be the head of the financial aid office vs. the office receptionist.

You are not the first person to whom this has happened.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 pm

This, but without your parents info I doubt you get anything. Otherwise everyone would claim this was the case.

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:59 pm

The Duck wrote:
This, but without your parents info I doubt you get anything. Otherwise everyone would claim this was the case.
I would hope not given the fact that we are applying to law school and character & fitness are not trivial considerations. But I do see your point:/ I actually burst into tears after my last conversation with financial aid because I was so humiliated by the situation and my utter powerlessness to change it. Sign #545 that I should never have kids-can't help but feel responsible for the behavior of people close to me. Anyway, sorry to transform TLS into a self help forum. I'm just at a breaking point on this issue, but hopefully I'll figure something out

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:03 pm

if you are just applying for FAFSA loans, I don't think it will make any difference.
If you are in harvard or yale (any others?) and are eligible for need based aid from the school, you should tell your parents you will never speak to them again unless they give you their tax returns.

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:08 pm

ben4847 wrote:if you are just applying for FAFSA loans, I don't think it will make any difference.
If you are in harvard or yale (any others?) and are eligible for need based aid from the school, you should tell your parents you will never speak to them again unless they give you their tax returns.
Still waiting to hear back from Harvard/Yale/Stanford, but feel like I should be eligible for need based aid from Michigan, Berkeley, and possibly Chicago. I received a fair amount of merit based aid from NYU. I would prefer to go to Chicago, but did not receive a scholarship and cannot seem to justify the cost differential.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks to all the supportive and sympathetic voices of the interwebs. Even though I still have no tax returns, I feel a lot better.

ehall20

New

Post by ehall20 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:28 pm

t14fanboy wrote:
+1.

Some of us don't have parents that support us in everything we do, welcome to life.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 pm

ehall20 wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:
+1.

Some of us don't have parents that support us in everything we do, welcome to life.
this isn't about supporting. this is about not sabotaging. OP's parents are real douches. I hope he shows them this thread.

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions and support. The good news: I was recently accepted to Stanford! The bad news: I fear that I will be out of luck for need-based aid without the requisite parental information. I wonder if explaining my circumstances to finance can possibly help my case?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I am going to be in a similar situation next cycle. My parents make enough money to help out in my undergrad yet they simply did not. It then forced me to work to much and my brother was in a coma for a semester and my first year and a half suffered bc of it. I dont know if I should write an addendum explaining my grades. I dont want to look whiny. My parents will fill out the FAFSA they just wont support me bc struggling builds character in their minds.

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Fortuitous wrote:Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions and support. The good news: I was recently accepted to Stanford! The bad news: I fear that I will be out of luck for need-based aid without the requisite parental information. I wonder if explaining my circumstances to finance can possibly help my case?
Glad to hear, congratulations. Worst case scenario (meaning having to pay entirely with loans), at least you are going to a school worth the money.

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:12 pm

checkster wrote:
Fortuitous wrote:Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions and support. The good news: I was recently accepted to Stanford! The bad news: I fear that I will be out of luck for need-based aid without the requisite parental information. I wonder if explaining my circumstances to finance can possibly help my case?
Glad to hear, congratulations. Worst case scenario (meaning having to pay entirely with loans), at least you are going to a school worth the money.
This.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
checkster wrote:
This.
+1.

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:53 pm

You people are amazing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”