Retake a second time? worth it? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TLS_noobie

Bronze

Retake a second time? worth it?

Post by TLS_noobie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:24 am

My numbers are 160->retook->167 and 3.25 UG GPA (CS major...not that it really matters for the law school game). My cycle so far has been pretty good to me and I've been accepted to ND/BC/BU. My ultimate goal is BigLaw focusing on M&A in a city (Boston or NYC are my top preferences right now). I have yet to hear back about $$$ from BC/BU though, but I do understand that biglaw from ND/BC/BU is unlikely (80% of people do not achieve this), and so hedging my investment is of the utmost importance, obviously. I have 2 options, I believe:

1) Suck it up and go to BU or BC next year (depending on the $$ they offer) and work my arse off, all the while, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.
2) Throw in a seat-deposit to either BU or BC (as a backup) and then retake for a second time in June.

I was PTing around 169-173 a few weeks before the last time I sat for the test but under-performed and got a 167. If I go with 2) then my thought process is that if I get a 172+ then I will drop-out of my seat deposit and just reapply next cycle. The problem with this is that I have a family and sitting out a whole year without a job lined up could be difficult. However, an advantage to retaking in June is that if I do better than 167 I can negotiate my scholly from BU or BC, I believe. My question is (and the reason I posted this in the "What Are My Chances?" forum) what are my chances if I retake and do receive a considerably better score? My GPA is pretty low and I am wondering if the improvement in my prospects would even be worth while since I want to be in either Boston or NYC anyways. Just by rummaging around LSN, it seems that even if I were to achieve a godly 177+, Columbia and NYU may still be out of reach for me.

So, given the facts that:
1) I have retaken once already (160->167)
2) My UG GPA is relatively low (3.25)
3) I want to end up in Boston/NYC and I already have been admitted to BU/BC
What would my prospects/options be if I were to get a 172+ on the LSAT?

Thanks,
TLS_noobie

StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Re: Retake a second time? worth it?

Post by StarLightSpectre » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 am

I got my admit to BU and I'm going to put a seat deposit there and retake in June precisely for the reasons you are contemplating doing so.

I mean what do your really have to lose? At worst you still get to keep what you have now.

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:45 am

StarLightSpectre wrote:I got my admit to BU and I'm going to put a seat deposit there and retake in June precisely for the reasons you are contemplating doing so.

I mean what do your really have to lose? At worst you still get to keep what you have now.
Agreed. It seems there isn't much to lose. But, for curiosity's sake, what are the options for someone with my numbers who retakes and achieves a 172+? would they be substantially better to warrant taking a year off? Or is the benefit to retaking primarily for negotiation purposes with BU/BC?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:22 am

Deposit at BC or BU & retake for scholarship negotiation strength.

Achieving a score above 170 might call for sitting out a year & reapplying if scholarship offers from BU or BC are not enough to get you to commit this cycle.

172/3.25 enables you to seek higher ranked law school admissions via ED to Virginia, Michigan and/or Penn. Duke would be another option. To gauge the liklihood of scholarship money, you need to check lawschoolnumbers.com.

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Deposit at BC or BU & retake for scholarship negotiation strength.

Achieving a score above 170 might call for sitting out a year & reapplying if scholarship offers from BU or BC are not enough to get you to commit this cycle.

172/3.25 enables you to seek higher ranked law school admissions via ED to Virginia, Michigan and/or Penn. Duke would be another option. To gauge the liklihood of scholarship money, you need to check lawschoolnumbers.com.
Great! Thanks a lot CanadianWolf! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”