Advice on june retake & potentially re-applying, Please! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TLSwag

Bronze

Advice on june retake & potentially re-applying, Please!

Post by TLSwag » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:54 am

166/3.4

I am currently on the WL at 2 t30 schools (think GW/BU/Fordham/BC) and admitted with nearly a full scholarship to a few other t50 ones. I am pretty set on retaking in June, as I practice tested consistently within the 169-172 range, net average of over 170. I was disappointed with my score but decided to apply this cycle regardless. I know I can perform better on the LSAT and I will be thrilled if I get off a WL at one of these schools, but my question is, given my GPA, what score would be advisable to reapply and blanket the t14, with a reasonably good chance at getting one? I guess I am trying to gauge at what threshold I should consider reapplying. I do wish to go to law school this fall but certainly understand the value in holding off if its worthwhile.

Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Advice on june retake & potentially re-applying, Please!

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:02 pm

170 should get you into the T-14. I also re-took a 166 last June and re-applied.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Retake. Paying full tuition at GWU is foolish. Unwise at Fordham. Not ideal at BC or BU.

What are your other options ?

Where do you want to live & work after law school ?

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Retake. Paying full tuition at GWU is foolish. Unwise at Fordham. Not ideal at BC or BU.

I want to practice in a major east coast city after law school, ideally NYC/DC. As far as other options, even though the scholarship money is very enticing, none seem to offer the employment prospecting into Big Law I am seeking - I was offered near full ride at Cardozo, partial scholarships to AU & George Mason. And I am already set on a June retake... just trying to gauge what score should be a no brainer to reapply (seems 170 is the general consensus) & what score would probably not yield a candidate with my GPA any T14 offers. Hypothetically, is a 168/3.4 applicant typically considered out of the T14? Would a 169 change things? I.E. if I improve my score at least 2 points but don't hit 170 (definitely a plausible scenario), I am unsure if reapplying would provide me any benefits.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:170 should get you into the T-14. I also re-took a 166 last June and re-applied.
Tiago. Homie. Just scoped your LSN - you are an inspiration to all. #KillingIt ...where you leaning towards with that unreal app cycle?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:02 pm

TLSwag wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:170 should get you into the T-14. I also re-took a 166 last June and re-applied.
Tiago. Homie. Just scoped your LSN - you are an inspiration to all. #KillingIt ...where you leaning towards with that unreal app cycle?
Leaning towards wherever the straight cash takes me homie.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 am

TLSwag wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Retake. Paying full tuition at GWU is foolish. Unwise at Fordham. Not ideal at BC or BU.

I want to practice in a major east coast city after law school, ideally NYC/DC. As far as other options, even though the scholarship money is very enticing, none seem to offer the employment prospecting into Big Law I am seeking - I was offered near full ride at Cardozo, partial scholarships to AU & George Mason. And I am already set on a June retake... just trying to gauge what score should be a no brainer to reapply (seems 170 is the general consensus) & what score would probably not yield a candidate with my GPA any T14 offers. Hypothetically, is a 168/3.4 applicant typically considered out of the T14? Would a 169 change things? I.E. if I improve my score at least 2 points but don't hit 170 (definitely a plausible scenario), I am unsure if reapplying would provide me any benefits.
Yes no chance unless URM. With a 169, you might be able get into UMich with an ED app. If you are deadset on t14, you should get at least a 170.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:09 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
TLSwag wrote:
Leaning towards wherever the straight cash takes me homie.
Haha that's whats up. Look forward to seeing any updates

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 am

t14fanboy wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

Yes no chance unless URM. With a 169, you might be able get into UMich with an ED app. If you are deadset on t14, you should get at least a 170.
So...

170 = definite reapply
169 = prob not worth reapplying

Is this a general consensus?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:20 am

With a 3.4, 169 the only t14 you would have a chance at is Mich with ED, like I said....why you no read man....Oh and maybe Cornell.

Even if you get a 170, you are advised to ED. A 170, 3.4 RD is a sure waitlist at Penn while ED is a near lock. Same deal with UVa.
Last edited by t14fanboy on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:26 am

t14fanboy wrote:With a 3.4, 169 the only t14 you would have a chance at is Mich with ED like I said....why you no read man...Oh and maybe Cornell.

Even if you get a 170, you would be advised to ED. A 170, 3.4 RD is sure waitlist at Penn while very good odds with ED. Same deal with UVa.
I'm trying to gauge if you/anyone would advise taking that chance? I'd be pretty disappointed if I reapply and end up at the same school I got in off a WL... I guess that decision is a pretty difficult request to assist with ha

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:27 am

t14fanboy wrote:With a 3.4, 169 the only t14 you would have a chance at is Mich with ED, like I said....why you no read man....Oh and maybe Cornell.

Even if you get a 170, you are advised to ED. A 170, 3.4 RD is a sure waitlist at Penn while ED is a near lock. Same deal with UVa.
Yeah, my plan would be to ED one of Penn/UVA/G-Town... just hoping I can get that 170 and pursue it, thanks for the info though, any insight as to which of penn/uva is easier?

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:33 am

Given your practice test range, I think it would be wise for you to retake. No question. Everything depends on a few more points.

Um. I think UVa is the more bullet-proof choice. But all the people on LSN with 170, 3.4s seem to get in with an ED app to Penn. Since Penn's ED deadline is in Nov, you could ED there and then ED to UVa if you don't get in. If both don't work (highly unlikely), ED GULC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:46 am

t14fanboy wrote:Given your practice test range, I think it would be wise for you to retake. No question. Everything depends on a few more points.

Um. I think UVa is the more bullet-proof choice. But all the people on LSN with 170, 3.4s seem to get in with an ED app to Penn. Since Penn's ED deadline is in Nov, you could ED there and then ED to UVa if you don't get in. If both don't work (highly unlikely), ED GULC.
Awesome. That is way more promising than I thought, even with a 170 I thought my GPA would limit me from Penn/UVA, and that seems like a great plan... I'd prob ED to Penn and if it's a WL/reject and still early in cycle, ED UVA, but if not that early, I'd cut losses and ED GULC. Wow, thoughts of this excite me

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:53 am

TLSwag wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:Given your practice test range, I think it would be wise for you to retake. No question. Everything depends on a few more points.

Awesome. That is way more promising than I thought, even with a 170 I thought my GPA would limit me from Penn/UVA, and that seems like a great plan... I'd prob ED to Penn and if it's a WL/reject and still early in cycle, ED UVA, but if not that early, I'd cut losses and ED GULC. Wow, thoughts of this excite me
Hey! Person that may be a numbers twin! With a 170 and your GPA I've had a great cycle so far (into Penn and UVA and Georgetown without EDing). It's certainly possible! I'd say apply as early as you can and try and do the supplemental essays for Penn, they love those.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:58 pm

justicefishy wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

Hey! Person that may be a numbers twin! With a 170 and your GPA I've had a great cycle so far (into Penn and UVA and Georgetown without EDing). It's certainly possible! I'd say apply as early as you can and try and do the supplemental essays for Penn, they love those.
Awesome news! I truly hope to be your numbers twin one day! Where are you thinking? Those are all great options, Congrats.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:42 am

TLSwag wrote:
justicefishy wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

Awesome news! I truly hope to be your numbers twin one day! Where are you thinking? Those are all great options, Congrats.
Thanks! And barring a U-Chicago acceptance, I'll be in West Philly next year!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”