scores where do i stand Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
charle007

New

scores where do i stand

Post by charle007 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:40 pm

I have a 2.94 GPA and LSAT score of 152
African American Female.

Hey guys, i need your help. I'm an AA female and im desperate to get into LAW school this year.
Not too sure where to apply or if i;ll even have a good shot at any schools. So i need your help.
Would like to know my best bet given me score and school prospects. Should i wait a year?? should i keep applying?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Below is a list of schools that i have applied.

Howard University School of Law - Fall 2012
New York University School of Law - Fall 2012
University of North Carolina School of Law - Fall 2012
Northeastern University School of Law - Fall 2012

Below is a list of schools i interested in. I can only choose 8 more schools from this list (financially)

American University Washington College of Law
Atlanta's John Marshall Law School
Brooklyn Law School
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University
The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
City University of New York School of Law
University of Connecticut School of Law
Florida A&M University
George Mason University School of Law
The George Washington University Law School
Georgia State University College of Law
Golden Gate University School of Law
Howard University School of Law
University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
Mercer University--Walter F. George School of Law
University of Miami School of Law
New York Law School
New York University School of Law
North Carolina Central University School of Law
The Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law
Rutgers--The State University of New Jersey--School of Law--Camden
Rutgers University School of Law--Newark
St. John's University School of Law
University of San Francisco School of Law
Seton Hall University School of Law
Temple University--James E. Beasley School of Law
Villanova University School of Law
Wake Forest University School of Law

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Re: scores where do i stand

Post by Ga0-3L » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:43 pm

charle007 wrote:I have a 2.94 GPA and LSAT score of 152
African American Female.

Hey guys, i need your help. I'm an AA female and im desperate to get into LAW school this year.
Not too sure where to apply or if i;ll even have a good shot at any schools. So i need your help.
Would like to know my best bet given me score and school prospects. Should i wait a year?? should i keep applying?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Below is a list of schools that i have applied.

Howard University School of Law - Fall 2012
New York University School of Law - Fall 2012
University of North Carolina School of Law - Fall 2012
Northeastern University School of Law - Fall 2012

Below is a list of schools i interested in. I can only choose 8 more schools from this list (financially)

American University Washington College of Law
Atlanta's John Marshall Law School
Brooklyn Law School
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University
The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
City University of New York School of Law
University of Connecticut School of Law
Florida A&M University
George Mason University School of Law
The George Washington University Law School
Georgia State University College of Law
Golden Gate University School of Law
Howard University School of Law
University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
Mercer University--Walter F. George School of Law
University of Miami School of Law
New York Law School
New York University School of Law
North Carolina Central University School of Law
The Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law
Rutgers--The State University of New Jersey--School of Law--Camden
Rutgers University School of Law--Newark
St. John's University School of Law
University of San Francisco School of Law
Seton Hall University School of Law
Temple University--James E. Beasley School of Law
Villanova University School of Law
Wake Forest University School of Law
I would try Mercer. If you are desperate to go this year then apply - I know people who got into Mercer at 3.0/3.1 with 148/49 so you could have a shot there. Also, I would try John Marshall Atlanta.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Retake.

Besides that, Howard is definitely one of the better options on your list for employment.

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:45 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Retake.

Besides that, Howard is definitely one of the better options on your list for employment.
This would be my advice as well.. but you said you were desperate so...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:45 pm

1. You shouldn't be desperate to get into law school this year. You should be desperate to get into a good law school whether it's this cycle, next cycle, or the one after that.

2. Yes you should wait till next cycle. You need to retake the LSAT as pretty much no school that will take a 152, even from an AA, is worth going to.
Last edited by bk1 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:47 pm

If you have any sense in your mind and truly care about your future, you will sit out this cycle, get a job, study hard, retake the LSAT, and apply early next cycle. The reason I say get a job is because it doesnt sound like you have too much dispensable income and you will need it for your apps next year.

I would like to believe that you can go up from a 152. If you get a 160+, so many more doors will open for you.

In short, don't waste your money on any more apps this cycle. Spend it on the next LSAT, save some cash, get a better LSAT score, and re-apply next year. Profit. Good luck!

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Hold your horses. If you're comfortable waiting a year to apply then that's almost certainly what you should do- take the time to study (and study some more) for the LSAT to maximize your score.

While you can't do anything about your GPA now, an increased LSAT coupled with a probable URM boost should help you get into MUCH better schools than you'd be looking at now, perhaps even with scholarship offers. Attending almost any of the schools you listed at sticker price is a risky proposition. Save the money you'd spend on applying to those other schools and put it towards a prep class; if you really want to save money, there are some great study plans right here on TLS.

Best of luck.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Desperate or not, that's a silly excuse. If someone has a gun to your head telling you to go or else, then go. Otherwise, wait it out.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:51 pm

uve done great op. i dont think ur aiming high enough. nyu with a 152 and almost a 3.0 gpa. why not yale?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:55 pm

I hope this isnt a fucking troll. That's all I think about when I read this stuff.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Although many are sure to disagree, WFU & Illinois are worth a try. Illinois has no application fee & accepted a few with scores in the 140s over the past couple of years.

P.S. Your numbers suggest, however, that law school may be an unpleasant experience. Without more information, the 2.94 GPA is worrisome.

P.P.S. North Carolina Central if you are a resident. You are likely to be admitted to several law schools. Pittsburgh & WFU just admitted an AA male with similiar numbers (2.97/154) according to lawschoolnumbers.com.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Try to find a law school that offers or directs you to a CLEO program. Indiana-Bloomington may one to try.

charle007

New

Post by charle007 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Im not a Troll, Im sure u guys are accustomed seeing stats titled "176 and 3.8" Where should i go? I'm just not one of those people.
Anyway thank you guys so much for the insight! I will weigh my options and respond back in a day or so. So many people responding is always good.

Thanks guys

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:31 am

charle007 wrote:Im not a Troll, Im sure u guys are accustomed seeing stats titled "176 and 3.8" Where should i go? I'm just not one of those people.
Anyway thank you guys so much for the insight! I will weigh my options and respond back in a day or so. So many people responding is always good.

Thanks guys
No, we see these types of stats all the time. We just know its in your best interests to retake until LSAT tells you to stop/you have a decent high LSAT score; whichever comes first. Study hard! We know you're capable because everyone is capable of improvement.

*This assumes you're not maxed out and/or did not study very well.

zanzibar

New

Post by zanzibar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:50 am

I have a lot of experience with opportunity schools that might be open to admitting you despite a GPA below 3.0 and a marginal LSAT. I will tell you that from my experience, the law schools to which you have applied are not likely to admit you. Have some experience on admission committees, just looking at your numbers -- with no other info -- puts you squarely in the waiting-list or no pile based on the competition of folks also applying, even in this economy.

Of the other schools you listed, i would recommend the following:

NCCU (this school will look at you holistically, irrespective of your race. Poverty, a compelling life experience, teenage pregnancy, overcoming drugs/alcohol/abuse all come into play and contribute to a student body that has been passed over by others. They are financially a great option, especially if you are NC resident. The faculty are committed to students they select to attend and they have great bar passage in light of your LSAT. This should be your first choice school. period)

CUNY (if you know you want to be a public interest lawyer, this is a building full of true believers and they will teach you haw to work for the forgotten, whether that is in community development, criminal defense, civil trial work. They are less expensive, though you would be living in a very expensive market. Bar passage can be hit or miss, but the community connections from this school are TOP NOTCH)

Rutgers Newark (this school has an up-front affirmative action program (MSP) that will give you a lot of support to meet the rigors of law. as a NJ resident, the cost is pretty good, but as a first tier school, it may be less accessible than when i was in the market for a legal education. Great public interest opportunities and great clinical program.)

Atlanta's John Marshall (this one is EXPENSIVE as hell, but you could go part time day and get a job in ATL. The bar passage rate is concerning, but if you put in the work and do what they tell you to do, it is doable. If money is no object, this is a first choice, but be prepared for a prickly faculty).

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:11 am

ZOMG. No offense zanzibar, but OP for the love of all that is good in this world DO NOT listen to zanzibar unless (1) these schools give you a full scholarship with no stipulations and (2) you already have a good job lined up in the region the school primarily places (e.g. an offer of employment before going to law school - yes it's possible). Or also (3) you have a good idea of what you want to do with your degree and how to realistically get there. For the most part, this economy makes those schools a terrible terrible investment for your future.

I'm serious. I personally know people from top 6 schools that are having trouble finding jobs. 80 people interviewed for one lateral position at my current firm (not applicants, interviewees). I'm not trying to be a debbie downer but you really need to know what you are investing your time and money toward. Why are you desperate to go to law school right now?

I mean, there is not one single path to success in the legal field but there are paths that will help you maximize your chances of success. Retake if you can do better. Otherwise if (1), (2), and (3) don't apply to you, think seriously about whether or not law school is a good choice for your future. I'm not telling you what to do but I genuinely hope you will think seriously about these things.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:21 am

Geetar Man wrote:Desperate or not, that's a silly excuse. If someone has a gun to your head telling you to go or else, then go. Otherwise, wait it out.
Might just take my chances on the else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:57 am

retake

sarahmargie

Bronze

Post by sarahmargie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:02 am

You can almost surely get into Texas Southern University Thurgood Marshall School of Law (TSU) with an excellent scholarship. It's in Houston. They let you apply until April 14th. The school is ridiculously cheap even without a scholarship, and a whole lot of their students are there on full scholarships anyway. It is a historically black college with the stated mission of getting more African Americans into the legal profession, so the scholarships only go to African Americans. I admire TSU because they seem focused on doing some good in the country rather than just their ranking.

Bar passage rate at TSU hovers around 65%.

Still, the other posters are right. If you want to make money, go to a better school by taking a year off to improve your application.
Only follow my TSU advice if your goal does not include making money, because at least that way you probably won't lose any money except what you would have earned working for three years. Your numbers are above their medians.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:09 pm

classic TLS response:

Retake 170+

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”