Duke and UVA class of 2015 LSAT median? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Are Duke and UVA going to be able to hold on to a 170 LSAT median?

No to both (Duke & UVA median will = 169 or lower this year)
42%
Yes to both (Duke & UVA median will = 170 or higher this year)
17%
Yes to Duke (Duke median will = 170; UVA who knows?)
14%
Yes to UVA (UVA median will = 170; Duke who knows?)
28%

Total votes: 65

gman1978

New

Duke and UVA class of 2015 LSAT median?

Post by gman1978 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm waiting to hear from both schools. Looking at law school numbers I see a ton of people for both schools either pending or waitlisted with LSAT=169.

We know applications are down significantly this year, so......

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: Duke and UVA class of 2015 LSAT median?

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Duke and UVA want to sure up their numbers first. They will dip into the high 160s after the people with 172+ start to decline their admission offers.

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm

The 170 LSAT median is important to schools, perhaps more for symbolic reasons than anything. I think UVA and Duke will do everything in their power to hold on to that mark, and we are more likely to see decreasing class sizes and GPAs. Of course, I would not be surprised to see 25th/75th percentiles drop. Also, if an LSAT median does go down, I would expect the GPA median to possibly go up (ie the school starts off hoping to keep 170, realizes they won't get it but that they have 169 locked up, and so they become more GPA sensitive).

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Betharl wrote:The 170 LSAT median is important to schools, perhaps more for symbolic reasons than anything. I think UVA and Duke will do everything in their power to hold on to that mark, and we are more likely to see decreasing class sizes and GPAs. Of course, I would not be surprised to see 25th/75th percentiles drop. Also, if an LSAT median does go down, I would expect the GPA median to possibly go up (ie the school starts off hoping to keep 170, realizes they won't get it but that they have 169 locked up, and so they become more GPA sensitive).
Uh, no. It affects their USNWR ranking. Despite it being a small sample size, take a quick look at lawschoolnumbers for this cycle. With the exception of URMs, people who do not either have a 170+ or a 3.8+ generally have not been accepted.

LMAO if you really believe that UVa and Duke's LSAT medians will drop to 169. This entire thread reeks of OL optimism.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:09 pm

t14fanboy wrote:
Betharl wrote:The 170 LSAT median is important to schools, perhaps more for symbolic reasons than anything. I think UVA and Duke will do everything in their power to hold on to that mark, and we are more likely to see decreasing class sizes and GPAs. Of course, I would not be surprised to see 25th/75th percentiles drop. Also, if an LSAT median does go down, I would expect the GPA median to possibly go up (ie the school starts off hoping to keep 170, realizes they won't get it but that they have 169 locked up, and so they become more GPA sensitive).
Uh, no. It affects their USNWR ranking. Despite it being a small sample size, take a quick look at lawschoolnumbers for this cycle. With the exception of URMs, people who do not either have a 170+ or a 3.8+ generally have not been accepted.

LMAO if you really believe that UVa and Duke's LSAT medians will drop to 169. This entire thread reeks of OL optimism.
Not to bash a future fellow UVA student, but seeing that you are also a 0L, you should probably relax a bit on the 0L name-calling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Haha, wasn't really meant be be offensive, but does that fact make my observation incorrect? I calls em as I sees em and don't mind including myself in the category of naive 0L :wink:

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:35 pm

t14fanboy wrote:Haha, wasn't really meant be be offensive, but does that fact make my observation incorrect? I calls em as I sees em and don't mind including myself in the category of naive 0L :wink:
It's unlikely, but it's certainly not impossible.

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:58 pm

t14fanboy wrote:

Ya, I know it affects their ranking. In retrospect, that was poorly phrased, what I meant to say was that for schools that have exactly a 170 median the symbolic nature of that score provides even extra incentive for them not to let it drop, beyond the pressure from USNWR. Also, I agree that their medians will stay at 170 (and voted that way in the poll), I was merely speculating that IF they dropped, I wouldn't be surprised to see a noticeable increase in GPA. People claim something similar happened with Chicago last cylce, in that they started off shooting for a 172 median, saw they weren't going to hit it, so they settled for 171 and went to work on their GPA numbers.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:47 pm

By your reply, I guess I came off a lot snarkier than I intended to be.

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:40 pm

No problem, I think you read it about right. I just didn't do a very good job of conveying what I actually meant.

FWIW, I think the symbolic nature of hitting 170 is probably an extremely minor consideration when a school decides to maintain that median (and I'm sure USNWR is their primary concern), but I do think it is a significant milestone for them and one they are probably proud of. I suspect dropping one point from 170-> 169 would sting a little more than other one point drops.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:17 am

I think Duke will retain their 170 LSAT median. They demonstrated their willingness to sacrifice some points on their GPA median this past cycle in order to keep it. I don't see them turning back now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”