NEED AN OPINION!!! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hannahella91

New

NEED AN OPINION!!!

Post by hannahella91 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:11 pm

I am praying that someone can help me with this question.

I am currently a college sophomore at a regional university in Illinois. I have a 3.5 GPA and last semester I was on the deans list. I hold several leadership positions with in the Greek community on campus. I also hold a leadership position in Undergraduate Student Government. Last summer I interned at the Department of Energy. I plan to intern with my counties Public Defender this summer. I also do more than 30 hours of community service a year and am a Big Brothers Big Sister mentor. I would really like to attend a regional law school. I am not looking for anything massive or extremely competitive nor do I want to end up working for a big firm after law school. Texas Tech would be one of my top choices. I have always been a very dedicated and hardworking person. What I am worried about is this past semester I was written up by my university hosing department for being intoxicated in the dorms. I went through the student rights and responsibilities office and took care of everything. I was very compliant and understood that it was wrong. Nothing involved police, just the university. THEN, last week I was in the sitting area of my house when the RA's came into the room. Apparently someone left a cooler of beer in the room and I got in trouble - guilty by association. However, I had no idea who's it was or why it was in the room. I pleaded with the housing department but now that goes on my housing record also.

I am just concerned that those two incidents will prevent me from being accepted by law schools. I am starting to panic. This is all that I have ever planned on doing and I would like to get some insight before I take the time to apply and don't get accepted by any schools. I want to know if you think this will hurt me on law school applications or if I am just worrying too much. The first time I was clearly wrong, it was one drunk college night that ended poorly and the second time was all the wrong time and wrong place.

Anything you have to say would be helpful, or if you could recommend who I could contact to figure it all out.

I would greatly appreciate any of your help.

Thank you.

cinephile

Gold

Re: NEED AN OPINION!!!

Post by cinephile » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:36 pm

You won't be denied because of these incidents if you're honest about it.

Enjoy the rest of undergrad and good luck when you end up applying!

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:51 pm

NBD- fess up to it, be honest, and show remorse. A lot of applicants have some sort of alcohol incident. You'll be fine.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Tulane let in a convicted murderer once.

This is not that large of a deal.

Just be up front and honest about and come accross as very remorseful and apologetic. you will be fine.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Maybe it's time to reveal the big secret; if you don't drink, you won't get into law school and, if you do slip by, the bar will catch it.

P.S. BYU is not a member of the Big Secret Society (BS for short).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Simplicity

New

Post by Simplicity » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:34 pm

lol

Absolutely no one will care. I got an MIC way back in my freshman year. If anything, it should show that I'm a well-rounded, social individual.

Essentially, I look at it like a speeding ticket. It's kinda funny how worried you are about it, tbh.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 am

Simplicity wrote:lol

Absolutely no one will care. I got an MIC way back in my freshman year. If anything, it should show that I'm a well-rounded, social individual.

Essentially, I look at it like a speeding ticket. It's kinda funny how worried you are about it, tbh.
+1. I received a few alcohol write-ups when I was in a dorm. I'm gonna guess no one is going to check on it or give two shits. The rankings do not factor in student body average freshman year BAC :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”