173 LSAT / 4.0 GPA with last minute applications Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

173 LSAT / 4.0 GPA with last minute applications

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 am

I had a few issues with one of my rec letters and wasn't able to submit my apps until Jan 29th. Statistically I know I have a good shot, but realistically how much will my tardiness hurt me at schools with Feb 1 deadlines and do I even have a shot at Harvard or Chicago? What about Duke as a priority app?

I just read a similar thread but it was from a girl with much better intangibles like a Ivy league Masters degree (my ACC business degree doesn't really compare)

Overall what do you think my chances are? and unfortunately waiting for the next cycle would cost me $100k+ in parental support :oops:

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Re: 173 LSAT / 4.0 GPA with last minute applications

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:53 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:I had a few issues with one of my rec letters and wasn't able to submit my apps until Jan 29th. Statistically I know I have a good shot, but realistically how much will my tardiness hurt me at schools with Feb 1 deadlines and do I even have a shot at Harvard or Chicago? What about Duke as a priority app?

I just read a similar thread but it was from a girl with much better intangibles like a Ivy league Masters degree (my ACC business degree doesn't really compare)

Overall what do you think my chances are? and unfortunately waiting for the next cycle would cost me $100k+ in parental support :oops:
your parents seem mean, and ill informed.

but you def. have a great shot at Chicago.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:01 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:I had a few issues with one of my rec letters and wasn't able to submit my apps until Jan 29th. Statistically I know I have a good shot, but realistically how much will my tardiness hurt me at schools with Feb 1 deadlines and do I even have a shot at Harvard or Chicago? What about Duke as a priority app?

Perhaps ill-informed, but I consider it not so mean that they'd be willing to commit in the first place.

Anyway thank you for your input. Is there any reason you specify Chicago as opposed to the other two, aside from their preference for LSAT's and possibly business majors?

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:

Ur gonna get Duke. I just wouldn't bet on harvard because u aren't so much better than their numbers (who is?) that it will compensate for tardiness in my opinion.
Perhaps ill-informed, but I consider it not so mean that they'd be willing to commit in the first place.

Anyway thank you for your input. Is there any reason you specify Chicago as opposed to the other two, aside from their preference for LSAT's and possibly business majors?

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:04 am

Ah thanks, I suppose that is at least partially reassuring, and at this point I'll take it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 am

Applying this late hurts your chances across the board. Chicago is a prime example as they WLd a lot of people with stellar numbers last year this late in the cycle. Harvard has an enormous class so I would say you still are a virtual lock have a good chance there though.

You would be foolish not to reapply next cycle if you don't get a big scholarship at a T14 or HYS this cycle.
Last edited by Nelson on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

redbullvodka

Bronze

Post by redbullvodka » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am

I think you're Harvard-secure if you apply next cycle; you may even be now, but it's a definite next cycle. You don't serve to gain very much by the uniqueness (allegedly) of this cycle, as a 4.0/173 will dominate any application year. Do something fun for a year, then dominante next September.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:32 am

Strictly Business, great screen name and I wish you luck in your cycle even though you should wait until next year to apply so I don't have to compete with you.

I bet you get into Harvard though.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Strictly Business, great screen name and I wish you luck in your cycle even though you should wait until next year to apply so I don't have to compete with you.

I bet you get into Harvard though.
Well thanks everyone for you input. One last question though-

Will it help to add an addendum explaining my late applications to the schools I'm sending in apps to now, even if my reason is simply a pretty weak lost-in-the-mail issue? For those I've already applied to will it be beneficial to give their admissions a call and mention it for any reason?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Liquox

Bronze

Post by Liquox » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:03 pm

you'll probably kill some poor guy's chances at a spot with your late app, but do it anyways. you'll get something good.

KingsBench

New

Post by KingsBench » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Will it help to add an addendum explaining my late applications to the schools I'm sending in apps to now, even if my reason is simply a pretty weak lost-in-the-mail issue? For those I've already applied to will it be beneficial to give their admissions a call and mention it for any reason?
Don't addendum this.

And from your post it seems you've already submitted an application but if you don't get H, I'm with the others - take the year off and do something with yourself.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Why would your parents not help you out if you wait a year? I would wait and see how your cycle goes and then talk to them again. I think if you can convince them that waiting a year will garner you better acceptances or large scholarships, they will listen to you. Don't assume that they won't help you if it is in your best interest to wait a year. I bet they are willing to listen to reason.

Also - don't do an addendum for the late LOR. It won't help you and would make you look a little lame.

d.schoenfeld16

New

Post by d.schoenfeld16 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 am

I would love some tips on ways to convince parents of the benefit of waiting a cycle, because I am currently in the same boat (tho I am a splitter who applied fairly late instead of stellar stats all-around). It is like every rational argument I use on them goes in one ear and out the other.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:21 am

If they truly want what is best for you, then they'll let you take a year off. It's extremely generous that they are helping you, but this decision will shape the rest of YOUR life. For example, missing out on a school like H (I think you're in, but it's possible you won't be) and attending a lower T14 out of necessity could limit your chances at academia down the line. Also, you don't want to miss out on Chicago or Harvard, get a job you're not happy with, and then hate your life while wondering "what if?" Potential millions of dollars are at stake, and it's best to maximize your chances at success. It's definitely worth waiting a year if you don't get into YHS.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 am

d.schoenfeld16 wrote:I would love some tips on ways to convince parents of the benefit of waiting a cycle, because I am currently in the same boat (tho I am a splitter who applied fairly late instead of stellar stats all-around). It is like every rational argument I use on them goes in one ear and out the other.
Figure out a way to finance your professional school on your own without making your parents do it? That way you can act like an independent adult.

Largo219

New

Post by Largo219 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:40 am

Nelson wrote:
d.schoenfeld16 wrote:I would love some tips on ways to convince parents of the benefit of waiting a cycle, because I am currently in the same boat (tho I am a splitter who applied fairly late instead of stellar stats all-around). It is like every rational argument I use on them goes in one ear and out the other.
Figure out a way to finance your professional school on your own without making your parents do it? That way you can act like an independent adult.
Don't think you can fault him for trying to avoid $100k worth of debt.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:42 am

Largo219 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
I can fault him for whining about not being able to convince his parents to do it for him on his terms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:48 am

To help parents understand I would point them to reputable news sources- both the new York times and the wall street journal have fad articles in the past year. NPR just did a piece too, if they are NPR people. More and more legitimate news outlets are covering the story of the oversupply of lawyers and the competitive market. I also think having parents read Paul Campos' blog with the understanding that he is a tenured law professor should help. I'm not spamming his blog, I just think parents will go for the respectability of his information. I can't link to it directly here but it isn't hard to find.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:53 am

Nelson wrote:
Largo219 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
I can fault him for whining about not being able to convince his parents to do it for him on his terms.
Trust me I hear you all saying that the year wait is worth it in the long run, but when you're in those shoes it isn't quite that simple. For starters, I haven't been applying for full-time jobs and I'd be way behind in that process. I should also clarify that it isn't a situation where my parents would disown me for the year off, simply that I'm taking advantage of incredible generosity already, and it's not something I want to push to the limit.

I guess my point is that right now I don't see Harvard being 1 year of downtime and $100k of debt better than a Columbia or even Duke (assuming I'd get into any of them), so a year of wait just strikes me as a gamble. After all, if I don't get into Harvard this cycle, there is always the possibility of the same result a year from now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”