Minimum LSAT for T14 with my GPA? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
anom217

New

Minimum LSAT for T14 with my GPA?

Post by anom217 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 pm

My undergrad GPA is 3.77. However, using this calculator http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/ my LSAC GPA would be 3.61 (somehow 2 D's in courses I retook drop my gpa by .16, yet if I add 2 A's my gpa goes up by .01...crazy, but I digress).

What LSAT score would I need to get in at bottom half of T14? Top half?

I'm really annoyed at how much my GPA dropped though, since I think that places me out of reach of many schools I'd otherwise have a shot at. I could be wrong, but I think that difference is pretty significant.

bdubs

Gold

Re: Minimum LSAT for T14 with my GPA?

Post by bdubs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:32 pm

You need a 170 to be solid, a 169 might cut it at Cornell or Michigan though.

173+ will move you into CCN territory.

anom217

New

Post by anom217 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:32 pm

thanks for the reply bdubs.

So, 170 for lower T14, at least 173 for upper T14? wow, I was expecting much worse news/higher minimum LSAT score. Especially with my low LSAC GPA.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:59 pm

anom217 wrote:my low LSAC GPA.
anom217 wrote:my LSAC GPA would be 3.61

anom217

New

Post by anom217 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:12 pm

InGoodFaith - i'm not trolling, i've looked at the GPA percentiles for admittances at upper T14 schools (which I assume uses LSAC gpa?) and my higher 3.77 gpa was around the 25th percentile. I'm only considering T14 schools for the scope of this thread, so I believe my GPA (especially my LSAC calculated gpa) to be low for applicants at these schools. So again, what minimum LSAT score would I need to have a realistic chance at these schools (HYS? CCN?) with my GPA. Thanks for your help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anom217

New

Post by anom217 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 am

ah, lawschoolnumbers is what I needed. Thx.

crabcakes

Bronze

Post by crabcakes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:43 pm

i have a similar GPA and a 169, and i've gotten cornell, michigan, and gulc. didn't apply to any other t-14s.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:10 pm

I am also very interested in this thread

With the higher GPA than the OP(GPA 4.1), what is the minimum LSAT for T 14?(Regardless of scholarship money) Don't mind EDing :!:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:35 pm

lovejopd wrote:I am also very interested in this thread

With the higher GPA than the OP(GPA 4.1), what is the minimum LSAT for T 14?(Regardless of scholarship money) Don't mind EDing :!:
4.1 is a great GPA, what undergrad is it from? The relative weight that the school puts on the GPA will be dictated somewhat by the quality of the institution.

With a score above 170 you're in the range for all of the T14. You can probably drop down to the high 160s (167ish) and still hit the T6, but you also might strike out at the whole T14 with that score (depends on your undergrad and application). You might even drop down into the low 160s before you start getting close to being automatically shut out of the T14.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:41 pm

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:58 pm

bdubs wrote:

4.1 is a great GPA, what undergrad is it from? The relative weight that the school puts on the GPA will be dictated somewhat by the quality of the institution.

With a score above 170 you're in the range for all of the T14. You can probably drop down to the high 160s (167ish) and still hit the T6, but you also might strike out at the whole T14 with that score (depends on your undergrad and application). You might even drop down into the low 160s before you start getting close to being automatically shut out of the T14.
Thank you!

Mine is a big State School(over 30,000 peers) in GA(Georgia State Univ! I hope my school is not crappy though not prestigious obviously :lol:). In my second year, my school(Thankfully) adopted +system. Since then, I have achieved 40 A's and 40 A+ something like that with one B(Legal History course in my first semester....my bad). I only have one 3 credit course left in my last semester(History-my weakness b/c a lack of historical background :cry: ). LSAC says that my GPA is 98 percentile GPA among people from my school who applied to law school last year. I do not know whether it matters...

Actually my game plan is to at least get 160+ and ED to UVA early in the cycle(Depending on my LSAT score though). Hopefully, any top law school might bite my GPA
I really appreciate your encouraging comment as I am currently really depressed with studying LSAT... :cry:
Last edited by lovejopd on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Grizz wrote:

I see your point several times, but this hypothetical stuff is really helpful for someone who wants to set a goal for the LSAT.

Anyway, Good night!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:01 pm

bdubs wrote:

Judging by my cycle, so far, the bolded isn't the case.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Judging by my cycle, so far, the bolded isn't the case.
Would you mind sharing your cycle or lawschoolnumbers? Please PM me if you do not want to share here :D

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:09 pm

lovejopd wrote:Actually my game plan is to at least get 160+ and ED to UVA early in the cycle(Depending on my LSAT score though). Hopefully, any top law school might bite my GPA
I really appreciate your encouraging comment as I am currently really depressed with studying LSAT... :cry:
I think you'll be pretty good for UVA ED if you can get a 165 or better.

I think that getting a 4.1 at a large state school will generally be considered pretty impressive, but I don't know how unusual it is at Georgia State. Are you at or near the top of your class?

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:16 pm

bdubs wrote:
lovejopd wrote:Actually my game plan is to at least get 160+ and ED to UVA early in the cycle(Depending on my LSAT score though). Hopefully, any top law school might bite my GPA
I think you'll be pretty good for UVA ED if you can get a 165 or better.

I think that getting a 4.1 at a large state school will generally be considered pretty impressive, but I don't know how unusual it is at Georgia State. Are you at or near the top of your class?
I do not really know my class rank overall, but I believe that I was one of a few students who actually get A+(requires +97 or 98). I also plan to write a personal statement regarding my disability / and get a decent LORs from my professor this semester when I am done with my personal statement.

I do not know whether I am able to nail this monstrous LSAT, I am getting old(28) and jealous of my friends who landed a good job and got married to a beautiful wife! :lol:

Thanks for your comment again!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:17 pm

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:27 pm

With my #s (in profile), so far I've gotten GULC and Northwestern (but I had significant WE so that might have been a factor). With a 3.6, my guess is that a 170 might be necessary to get any T14s above GULC and Cornell.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:52 pm

bdubs wrote: 4.1 is a great GPA, what undergrad is it from? The relative weight that the school puts on the GPA will be dictated somewhat by the quality of the institution.
No.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:54 pm

anom217 wrote:
ah, lawschoolnumbers is what I needed. Thx.
don't
encourage
him

:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:14 pm

law4vus wrote:
bdubs wrote: 4.1 is a great GPA, what undergrad is it from? The relative weight that the school puts on the GPA will be dictated somewhat by the quality of the institution.
No.
I can guarantee you that a 4.0 from an ivy is viewed differently than a 4.0 from a poorly regarded or unknown school.

See page 36:
http://www.uillinois.edu/our/news/2011/ ... report.pdf

The bias toward highly regarded schools will only get stronger in the T14.
Last edited by bdubs on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:20 pm

bdubs wrote:
law4vus wrote:
No.
I can guarantee you that a 4.0 from an ivy is viewed differently than a 4.0 from a poorly regarded or unknown school.
Aren't Ivies known for grade inflation? Not trying to flame or anything or but this is what I've heard from the internet grapevine.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:24 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
law4vus wrote:
No.
Aren't Ivies known for grade inflation? Not trying to flame or anything or but this is what I've heard from the internet grapevine.
I'm not talking about the difference between Harvard and Cal tech here. It's the difference between Harvard and a school that is unranked in USNews undergrad rankings.

To add some anecdotal fuel to the fire (if the Pless report isn't enough). There are a disproportionate number of Yale undergrads in my section at Northwestern. There's no way that is accounted for purely by selection bias.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm in at GTown with a 3.6 and 169, so a 169 will at least give you a shot at the lower ones.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”