thank you =) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
puff0ffluff

New

Re: 3.50/ 171 for Cornell? ^_^; help?

Post by puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:52 pm

calidancer2 wrote:your original post and last posts sound like 2 different posters. whatttt is going on
^_^; I try to be nice to everyone until people turn insulting? Also, it seems people here don't like emoticons...

(in all seriousness, I sincerely want any many people as possible to succeed in their law school admissions process. Maybe I'm projecting, but I went through hell trying to redirect myself from pre-med to pre-law, and every time I meet another pre-law, I keep thinking they went through the same process. I just don't feel right discouraging these people, regardless of their stats.)

ucbkenn

Bronze

Post by ucbkenn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Is the 159 the only problem? I got a 160 the first time I took the LSAT and got into Cornell. You should be fine

puff0ffluff

New

Post by puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:58 pm

ucbkenn wrote:Is the 159 the only problem? I got a 160 the first time I took the LSAT and got into Cornell. You should be fine

yes, that was the big problem. i was really afraid that first lsat score would kill my chances. thank you so much for telling. =)

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:00 pm

I was a 3.5/170 who applied EA and was deferred. It's quite possible that your 171 will put you over the edge, but you are quite late in the game.

/anecdotal evidence

puff0ffluff

New

Post by puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Killingly wrote:I was a 3.5/170 who applied EA and was deferred. It's quite possible that your 171 will put you over the edge, but you are quite late in the game.

/anecdotal evidence

oh dear... then I hope for both of our sakes you get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:06 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:
Killingly wrote:I was a 3.5/170 who applied EA and was deferred. It's quite possible that your 171 will put you over the edge, but you are quite late in the game.

/anecdotal evidence

oh dear... then I hope for both of our sakes you get in.
Apply NOW, if you haven't already. You have a shot, but you may also end up riding a reserve list until the bitter end.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:06 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
puff0ffluff wrote:I'm curious, but why not "ready for straight through"? What makes other candidates different?
I tried to delete that before we got into this. You dont sound mature enough. You are not reasoning correctly. You are saying that you dont have enough money to take a year off of paying tuition and earn money working. You are talking about "how much money your parents gave you." You dont know how to play the game, and by that I mean you dont seem to see how the real world works.

Oh and your TLS box.... really? Not that its not nice, but not realistic.

(TLS Box: I wish everyone the best and hope you all get into your top choice schools. No one deserves less after all the trouble and stress they're going through now.)
Dude, you've gotta be kidding if you think anyone can be this smiley in real life. I only put that in the TLS Box cause 1) it's better than sounding like a jaded fool going around discouraging people, 2) because these people didn't give me a good reason to discourage them, and 3) people did go through a lot of shit waiting for the December LSAT scores.

You wanna know how much my parents gave me? 10,000$ in 2004. That I dropped into the Chinese stock market (you know, the one that didn't crash in 2008) and made a cool 50,000 as of last year. As for job experience, my boss is a professor at the UCLA school of law. I only want to go to Cornell because I happen to like the place...

Honestly, if this is what it boils down to... just because I'm not brutal to other candidates doesn't mean I shouldn't go to law school.
If you have $50,000, why can you "not afford rent" if you need to wait a year?

puff0ffluff

New

Post by puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:If you have $50,000, why can you "not afford rent" if you need to wait a year?

50k pays about 1 yr's tuition. if I wait a year, and spend the 50k... that 50k becomes 30k, which is not even close to 1 yr's tuition. where in the world am i going to find another 20k?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:If you have $50,000, why can you "not afford rent" if you need to wait a year?

50k pays about 1 yr's tuition. if I wait a year, and spend the 50k... that 50k becomes 30k, which is not even close to 1 yr's tuition. where in the world am i going to find another 20k?
A job! lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:13 pm

ucbkenn wrote:Is the 159 the only problem? I got a 160 the first time I took the LSAT and got into Cornell. You should be fine
But that was not the only time you took the LSAT correct? lol

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:14 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:

Uh, student loans, like the vast majority of us?

Where were you going to find the tuition for 2L and 3L? For that matter, tuition is only part of the total cost of attendance--how were you planning on paying for living expenses?

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm sorry but this is hilarious. I was going to say you sound like a sweetheart but then you started with the FUCK YOUUUUUUU and now I'm like WHOA. OP. You craaaazy.

My two cents. I think that it's not too late for you to have a shot at Cornell. Do I think that you might have had a slightly better chance if you applied earlier? Yes, but your numbers make you competitive for sure. Just make sure that your application is as good as possible.

Also, people recommend that you get some work experience before law school because it does make you a more mature person, and also a more appealing candidate. Too often, people straight out of college claim they want to go to law school but they don't really know why. Taking a few years off between helps put things into perspective and often, it provides direction for what you want to do with your shiny new JD. It also may help ensure that you have skills that will be valuable to procuring employment after law school. Firms do like to hire people who have some work experience. There's a reason why Northwestern likes work experience.

Also, curious why Cornell is your dream school?
calidancer2 wrote:your original post and last posts sound like 2 different posters. whatttt is going on

puff0ffluff

New

Post by puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
puff0ffluff wrote:

Uh, student loans, like the vast majority of us?

Where were you going to find the tuition for 2L and 3L? For that matter, tuition is only part of the total cost of attendance--how were you planning on paying for living expenses?
i'm loans for living expenses. It's about 25-30k more in loans, which I'm trying to make up for now with my two jobs. For 2L and 3L I'm going to try to get a job during the summer... if not, more loans... but i still don't want to incur 20k more loans than I need to...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

puff0ffluff

New

Post by puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:I'm sorry but this is hilarious. I was going to say you sound like a sweetheart but then you started with the FUCK YOUUUUUUU and now I'm like WHOA. OP. You craaaazy.

My two cents. I think that it's not too late for you to have a shot at Cornell. Do I think that you might have had a slightly better chance if you applied earlier? Yes, but your numbers make you competitive for sure. Just make sure that your application is as good as possible.

Also, people recommend that you get some work experience before law school because it does make you a more mature person, and also a more appealing candidate. Too often, people straight out of college claim they want to go to law school but they don't really know why. Taking a few years off between helps put things into perspective and often, it provides direction for what you want to do with your shiny new JD. It also may help ensure that you have skills that will be valuable to procuring employment after law school. Firms do like to hire people who have some work experience. There's a reason why Northwestern likes work experience.

._. i'm really sorry about that. I try really, really hard not to blow up at people, but I really hate it when people step on my dreams and call me names at the same time. (i won't do it anymore ;_;)

As for Cornell... it's kind of a silly reason, but the short version is that, when I thought I'd be a splitter, a nice rep gave me some confidence
Last edited by puff0ffluff on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:01 pm

...Jesus Christ.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:25 pm

OP! Seriously! You seem like a nice individual. But those are really bad reasons for wanting to go to Cornell. Because they're the only school in the t14 that you think will give you a shot? Bad bad reason!

What programs appeal to you? Where do you want to practice? Do you want to practice? Or do you want to go into academia? Will you enjoy Ithaca for three years? These are just some questions you should ask yourself.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Not to be rude, OP, but you sound like some of the people here at Cornell who were top 30% and still struck out at OCI. You will probably get Cornell, but I hope you have a better idea of why you want to go to law school--and why you want to attend Cornell--than you let on here, or you're about to be bitterly disappointed once you're here.

I wish you luck. You sound like you'll need it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:56 pm

That is a terrible reason to want Cornell. They aren't even that splitter friendly. Take this cycle off, get some real work experience, make some more money, (btw, how do you presume to get a summer job if you apparently can't get one now?) and figure out which school is best for you. You'll thank us later.

Also, you come off as super entitled in this thread. HTH

inthebeginning

New

Post by inthebeginning » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 pm

I don't think PuffoFluff is so wrong. Going to a T14 school is a substantial (but not requisite) factor in landing your ideal job. I think that outweighs whether or not PuffoFluff may find he dislikes Ithaca versus the big city. What's his best shot? Cornell. Ok. Let's check out the "mature" reasoning. Let's say Puffin decided he's really into XYZ law, and Uchicago has the best program. Well, that's wonderful, but he's less likely to get in.

His decision to go straight into school isn't so bad either. I've worked the past 2.5 years out of college. Not for the sake of working for some "softs", or to become more "mature", but to figure out what I wanted to do with myself. And I think that made sense for me. But you can lose a lot by just getting a job for the sake of it. Puffin won't be motivated at work if he doesn't want to be there. Also, if it's not a decent job, it may not make him look any better to the admissions offices. If you know what you want to do and are confident, go ahead and do it. You're not going to become much more mature after 2 years.

And honestly, how many people tell you they went to a certain law school because, "I just love the beuaty of upstate new york, the small town feel, but most of all I was really into the program on gender law!". Rarely. That's just what you write in your "Why Law School XYZ" statement. You should go to the best school you can get into.

Go for it Puffin.

puff0ffluff

New

Post by puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 pm

thank you so much for the feedback. in that case, i think maybe i should ask my friend for "why?" advice. she's just finishing her apps...

NYC Law

Gold

Re: thank you =)

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm

:P :P :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 pm

inthebeginning wrote:. . . to figure out what I wanted to do with myself. . . . If you know what you want to do and are confident, go ahead and do it.
I agree with what you are saying, but I think OP's problems are what I've highlighted above. I also worked for a few years before law school. I'm glad I did, because I have a much better idea of what I want to do with my career, I have more confidence that I can make in a competitive work environment, and I have more perspective on the importance of school/grades/journal in the grand scheme of things. I just think if OP's dream is to go to Cornell for the reasons stated, it's an indication that s/he need some development in the above areas. OP's dream should be to practice. Attending Cornell should be a means, not an end.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Yes, I absolutely agree with Lincoln. People need to remember (and some to realize) that law school is not an end, it's a means to an end. Inthebeginning you also say to OP, "Going to a T14 school is a substantial (but not requisite) factor in landing your ideal job." The problem is, I am not so sure that OP knows what his/her ideal job is. I took time off and I know what I want to do with my law degree and have at least some idea of how to get it. People who know what they want to do in the field of law when they come out of undergrad - I absolutely say go for it. Go straight from undergrad to law school. I don't think OP falls into that category.

Also, the market ain't what it used to be. Biglaw jobs aren't handed out like candy anymore. I have a friend from H who told me that no market ties & below median GPA & no full-time work experience & no diversity = hiring death. People need to rid themselves of the special snowflake mentality. The legal field will have a lot less unhappy lawyers. Trust.
Lincoln wrote:
inthebeginning wrote:. . . to figure out what I wanted to do with myself. . . . If you know what you want to do and are confident, go ahead and do it.
I agree with what you are saying, but I think OP's problems are what I've highlighted above. I also worked for a few years before law school. I'm glad I did, because I have a much better idea of what I want to do with my career, I have more confidence that I can make in a competitive work environment, and I have more perspective on the importance of school/grades/journal in the grand scheme of things. I just think if OP's dream is to go to Cornell for the reasons stated, it's an indication that s/he need some development in the above areas. OP's dream should be to practice. Attending Cornell should be a means, not an end.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:35 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:I'm sorry but this is hilarious. I was going to say you sound like a sweetheart but then you started with the FUCK YOUUUUUUU and now I'm like WHOA. OP. You craaaazy.

Holy SMOKES +1 (also, KEP, I always read your posts in Kenneth's voice and that first paragraph was just AMAZING with that combination.) Also, Cornell is NOT a splitter friendly school. Splitter friendly schools are NU, UVa, and GULC. Reverse-splitter friendly schools are Boalt, Penn, Duke.

I'm also going to recommend getting some work experience. If you're not ready to bust your ass to find some random office bitch job after UG, how the hell do you plan on busting your ass trying to get a 1L summer job or a 2L SA? If you're really concerned about money/getting into a good school, then you should DEFINITELY work before LS and save up more money. Then you can keep the funds you've earned already, maybe make even more off investments, and then possibly not have to take out any loans at all!! It's just plain silly to say "oh, I don't want to waste money" as an excuse for NOT working after graduation.

Errzii

Bronze

Re: thank you =)

Post by Errzii » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Wow this thread turned into all kind of lulz since I last checked in. I don't really have anything new to add but just thought it was hilarious. OP, I think for the most part people on TLS try to be helpful. A lot try to go for the "tough love" approach when it comes to giving advice about attending law school and are extra hard on applicants who seem less prepared/knowledgeable about the process. But in the end I think they're just trying to save you some needless grief later on so don't take anything too personally.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”