Are GPAs really looked on equally between schools? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
crazi4law

New

Are GPAs really looked on equally between schools?

Post by crazi4law » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Do Adcoms really treat a 3.9 from ASU as roughly the same as a 3.9 from Cornell? Because I know kids from state schools and it is so unbelievably easy to get good grades there. It just seems unfair to applicants from tough schools.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Are GPAs really looked on equally between schools?

Post by kalvano » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Yes. Search more.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:44 pm

kalvano wrote:Yes. Search more.
Actually if you searched more, you would find the answer to be no.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:51 pm

crazi4law wrote:Do Adcoms really treat a 3.9 from ASU as roughly the same as a 3.9 from Cornell? Because I know kids from state schools and it is so unbelievably easy to get good grades there. It just seems unfair to applicants from tough schools.
Sorry your tough school didn't give you the good sense to use the search function.

crazi4law

New

Post by crazi4law » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Wouldn't it be a smart idea to transfer to a state school in that case?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:57 pm

crazi4law wrote:Wouldn't it be a smart idea to transfer to a state school in that case?
I wouldn't wish your presence on any of my fellow public university students.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:59 pm

Excluding some exceptions, most of which are used in tiebreakers anyway, the answer is yes. Also, a 3.9 in engineering from ASU will almost surely be harder to obtain than a 3.9 in Political Science from Cornell. The LSAT is the great equalizer.
crazi4law wrote:Wouldn't it be a smart idea to transfer to a state school in that case?
Contrary to your anecdotal evidence, multiple studies document that private schools are far more notorious for grade inflation. Anna Ivey's book makes mention of this fact.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:03 pm

OP goes to USC? http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=161267

looooooooooooooool. I've heard USC is super hard dooder.

Applying_Late

Bronze

Post by Applying_Late » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:14 pm

In general, I don't think the GPAs are differentiated. I do think that having a good university on your resume certainly helps. So say you are a Princeton student majoring in English applying to Yale with a 4.0 and a 180, and Yale just so happened to receive an applicant with the same exact numbers from University of BumbleFuck. If nothing else differentiated the two of you, you'd probably have the upper hand if you were coming from Princeton.

As an aside, I've been to both a state school and an ivy. It was harder to earn a good grade in the state school. Generally speaking (and of course exceptions exist), the better ranked your school, the easier it is on its undergraduates. (Exceptions could be Princeton, Harvey Mudd, certain engineering programs, or programs that are known within each school to be considered "tough.") Regardless, when you get into a top law school, you'll have plenty of kids that were from state schools, and they will outperform the kids who were prepped at elite schools are their lives. If you continue with this logic, you might post in a year or two complaining about how the students who graduated from state school and are now in your class had an easier exam--they must have because an alum of a state school cannot possibly have scored better than you....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:29 pm

students from better schools do get a bit of a bigger boost. I had deans from upenn, michigan, duke, stanford, nyu, cornell all say this when they came to my school. I mean, they're going to look at your LSAT score also to see if that gpa could have been earned at other schools. And I love the stupid remarks about gpa inflation. No fool, studies have not shown that grade inflation is more prevalent at private schools. What they have shown possibly is that there are higher grades in elite private schools. To demonstrate that grade inflation is more prevalent at private vs public schools, you would have to demonstrate that grades have risen by a higher percent at those schools and also have to account for what exactly are the true abilities of students at all institutions. And yes, there's a reason why at Ivies, we do have smarter kids. It's not an accident. And it's also not an accident that our schools average in the mid 160s for LSAT scores. GOD....merry xmas.

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:31 pm

also trust me, premed and engineering at elite schools, including ivies, is much harder. There's a reason why orgo (i know it's feared on all campuses) at my school for example routinely fails about 1/2 the kids the first time they take it.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:37 pm

lats19nys wrote:And yes, there's a reason why at Ivies, we do have smarter kids. It's not an accident.

Applying_Late

Bronze

Post by Applying_Late » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:49 pm

I feel like this is something difficult to argue about--it's basically a relativist argument/he-said-she-said.

Oddly I went to an HYP, and I've taken orgo there and at a state school. Orgo was harder at the state school. In addition I've compared the exams from the undergraduate courses, and frankly they were harder. I have also compared the math exams from my state school and HYP, and HYP is certainly more difficult there. Again, it seems to me that these carps are difficult--or at least tedious--to prove (i.e. posting transcripts from both the state and ivy schools, comparing exams and syllabi, and scouring the internet for articles that either "disprove" or "prove" this point)....

Also, I agree with you that the general population of undergrads at ivies might be "better" than the students from the state schools (and the ivy environment is certainly more conducive to get the best out of you), but I think the top 10 percent of most state schools can compete with the ivies. Lastly, if it's of any merit, I don't see the point of being so dismissive of kids from state schools; they are also human beings and one day they might outshine you....

OP, to complain about the "ease" of grades of school is futile. Do your best, score well on the LSAT, and you will be rewarded.
lats19nys wrote:also trust me, premed and engineering at elite schools, including ivies, is much harder. There's a reason why orgo (i know it's feared on all campuses) at my school for example routinely fails about 1/2 the kids the first time they take it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:52 pm

whats orgo

Applying_Late

Bronze

Post by Applying_Late » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Organic Chemistry, and often a make-it-or-break-it class for aspiring physicians.
ben4847 wrote:whats orgo
Last edited by Applying_Late on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:54 pm

lats19nys wrote:students from better schools do get a bit of a bigger boost. I had deans from upenn, michigan, duke, stanford, nyu, cornell all say this when they came to my school. I mean, they're going to look at your LSAT score also to see if that gpa could have been earned at other schools. And I love the stupid remarks about gpa inflation. No fool, studies have not shown that grade inflation is more prevalent at private schools. What they have shown possibly is that there are higher grades in elite private schools. To demonstrate that grade inflation is more prevalent at private vs public schools, you would have to demonstrate that grades have risen by a higher percent at those schools and also have to account for what exactly are the true abilities of students at all institutions. And yes, there's a reason why at Ivies, we do have smarter kids. It's not an accident. And it's also not an accident that our schools average in the mid 160s for LSAT scores. GOD....merry xmas.

5 of my school friends went to Ivies ( Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Darmouths and Cornell ) but their GPA and SAT are much lower than mine.
They got accepted to Ivies because of sports and URM.
I am sure at least 50% of Ivies have lower GPA nd SAT

So not every Ivies students are that smarts.
Last edited by indo on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Applying_Late wrote:I feel like this is something difficult to argue about--it's basically a relativist argument/he-said-she-said.

Oddly I went to an HYP, and I've taken orgo there and at a state school. Orgo was harder at the state school. In addition I've compared the exams from the undergraduate courses, and frankly they were harder. I have also compared the math exams from my state school and HYP, and HYP is certainly more difficult there. Again, it seems to me that these carps are difficult--or at least tedious--to prove (i.e. posting transcripts from both the state and ivy schools, comparing exams and syllabi, and scouring the internet for articles that either "disprove" or "prove" this point)....

Also, I agree with you that the general population of undergrads at ivies might be "better" than the students from the state schools (and the ivy environment is certainly more conducive to get the best out of you), but I think the top 10 percent of most state schools can compete with the ivies. Lastly, if it's of any merit, I don't see the point of being so dismissive of kids from state schools; they are also human beings and one day they might outshine you....

OP, to complain about the "ease" of grades of school is futile. Do your best, score well on the LSAT, and you will be rewarded.
lats19nys wrote:also trust me, premed and engineering at elite schools, including ivies, is much harder. There's a reason why orgo (i know it's feared on all campuses) at my school for example routinely fails about 1/2 the kids the first time they take it.
Well, i'm glad you really took the time to read what I wrote. I made it clear to one kid that his general remarks were ridiculous. I didn't dismiss public schools students. I completely agree, your reading skills, clearly illustrates that there are clearly many ivy league students who aren't very bright as well. Good point. What a douchebag.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Again, can you guys read? Like I said generally, on average, the ivies have smarter kids. Jeez. Please read carefully. It's a skill that will help on the LSATs.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:57 pm

Applying_Late wrote:Organic Chemistry, and often a make-it-or-break-it class for aspiring physicians.
ben4847 wrote:whats orgo
Oh. I was really good at that in high school. Maybe I should have been a doctor. oh well.

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:58 pm

And yes, i totally agree by the way. There are way too many dumb athletes (i wish they were at least athletic) and URM at ivies. I mean ivies average 11-13 percent in athletes alone. But that's not exactly 50 percent. And frankly, prob 1/3 to 1/4 of the athletes are actually genuinely smart and gifted people and so are many of the URM. So i'm glad you automatically associate being an athlete and URM with being stupid. I'm glad there are people like you in the world.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:58 pm

lats19nys wrote:students from better schools do get a bit of a bigger boost. I had deans from upenn, michigan, duke, stanford, nyu, cornell all say this when they came to my school.
Deans aren't necessarily as holistic as they claim, and if they do give a boost, it's marginal at best and unlikely to be used as anything outside of a tiebreaker.
lats19nys wrote: No fool, studies have not shown that grade inflation is more prevalent at private schools. What they have shown possibly is that there are higher grades in elite private schools.
From a study:
Average GPA = 2.8 +0.005*SEL + (if school is private add 0.2)
Average GPA = 2.8 + 0.001*(SATMV-850) + (if school is private add 0.1)
where SATMV is the combined average Math and Verbal SAT score of students and SEL is a selectivity measure that
represents the average of the percentage of students with high school GPAs above 3.75, the percentage of students who
graduated in the upper 10% of their high school class, and the percentage of student applicants rejected.
The above two equations suggest that private schools are grading 0.1 to 0.2 higher on a 4.0 scale for a given talent level of student.
Source: http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15928
lats19nys wrote:Again, can you guys read? Like I said generally, on average, the ivies have smarter kids. Jeez. Please read carefully. It's a skill that will help on the LSATs.
The same could be said for you; I'm not arguing that IVY league schools don''t have smarter kids on average. I'm arguing against the notion that an IVY league student would have a higher GPA at a state school.

EDIT: Q fix
Last edited by KevinP on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:01 am

KevinP wrote:
lats19nys wrote:students from better schools do get a bit of a bigger boost. I had deans from upenn, michigan, duke, stanford, nyu, cornell all say this when they came to my school.
Deans aren't necessarily as holistic as they claim, and if they do give a boost, it's marginal at best and unlikely to be used as anything outside of a tiebreaker.
lats19nys wrote: No fool, studies have not shown that grade inflation is more prevalent at private schools. What they have shown possibly is that there are higher grades in elite private schools.
From a study:
Average GPA = 2.8 +0.005*SEL + (if school is private add 0.2)
Average GPA = 2.8 + 0.001*(SATMV-850) + (if school is private add 0.1)
where SATMV is the combined average Math and Verbal SAT score of students and SEL is a selectivity measure that
represents the average of the percentage of students with high school GPAs above 3.75, the percentage of students who
graduated in the upper 10% of their high school class, and the percentage of student applicants rejected.
The above two equations suggest that private schools are grading 0.1 to 0.2 higher on a 4.0 scale for a given talent level of student.
Source: http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15928
lats19nys wrote:Again, can you guys read? Like I said generally, on average, the ivies have smarter kids. Jeez. Please read carefully. It's a skill that will help on the LSATs.
The same could be said for you; I'm not arguing that IVY league schools don''t have smarter kids on average. I'm arguing against the notion that an IVY league student would have a higher GPA at a state school.
How about you limit that study to "elite schools". If you're doing that with all public/private debate, that's clearly different given the high number of private schools. It seems silly to me that you're comparing basically all public/private schools and using that data to talk about a small group of institutions that are quite unique even in their own subset. Silly if you ask me.

Applying_Late

Bronze

Post by Applying_Late » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:02 am

I don't know what you got out of that disparaging remark; but, if it made you feel any better, then I suppose it was worth it.

I did read your post. Perhaps I had trouble understanding what you were trying to say....
lats19nys wrote:
Applying_Late wrote:I feel like this is something difficult to argue about--it's basically a relativist argument/he-said-she-said.

Well, i'm glad you really took the time to read what I wrote. I made it clear to one kid that his general remarks were ridiculous. I didn't dismiss public schools students. I completely agree, your reading skills, clearly illustrates that there are clearly many ivy league students who aren't very bright as well. Good point. What a douchebag.

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:05 am

I love stats as much as the next guy. I love sports and as any sports junkie love all the numbers involved. Not a crazy sabermatrician (i probably spelled that wrong) but you can't be a sports fan these days without being a fan of numbers. However, it pisses me off how so many people use stats without thinking about how it was compiled. It amazes me how many times people misread data and scream bloody murder when you examine the study/facts and it turns out exactly the opposite way.

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:06 am

Applying_Late wrote:I don't know what you got out of that disparaging remark; but, if it made you feel any better, then I suppose it was worth it.

I did read your post. Perhaps I had trouble understanding what you were trying to say....
lats19nys wrote:

Good point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”