2.68/159 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Duramax80

Bronze

2.68/159

Post by Duramax80 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:41 pm

My school choice is in this order:

1. Georgia State
2. U of South Carolina
3. U of Mississippi
4. U of Missouri
5. Florida State
6. Miami
7. Mercer
8. Florida Coastal
9. John Marshall (ATL)

Do I have a shot at these?

bk1

Diamond

Re: 2.68/159

Post by bk1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:48 pm

1. http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

2. You need to retake and if you can't improve your LSAT then probably shouldn't go to law school.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Also, any other special factors? URM status? Have you been out of school 10 years?

Can you get the GPA up by staying on a year or so more? Have you maxed out your potential on retaking the LSAT?

Also, do you have a job lined up afterward, because the schools at the bottom of your list are unlikely to have decent job prospects.

So much more information is necessary.

Duramax80

Bronze

Post by Duramax80 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Not urm, already graduated, maxed out LSAT, but tuition is not a problem. I really want to be an attorney, so I'll handle the problem with job prospects when I get to it. I interned at a law firm for the summer after graduation, too.

Do I even have a shot at Mercer? Ive been to the LSAC GPA/LSAT predictor, hourumd, and LSN, but I cant find anyone with stats like mine. I have no clue where I stand in being accepted to the aforementioned 9 schools above.

My GPA falls below all 25%, but my LSAT is either right under or above all 75%. Im very confused.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:02 pm

Your GPA can't be fixed. Your LSAT score can. You need to retake. You need to put in a lot more time studying into the LSAT to try and compensate for your GPA. It can be done. This website is a great resource for doing so.

Right now your stats are not good enough to get into a school that will give you a good chance of getting any legal job after graduating. Spend some time on here looking into how awful the economy is and how generally awful the situation is at most all schools. While there might be some extreme voices (on both ends of the spectrum), you should know that there are plenty of law school graduates without a legal job (and who will likely never have a legal job). I'm not trying to scare you away from going to law school--I'm merely trying to nail away at the importance of going to a law school with strong placement in the location where you want to work while minimizing your debt. You need to improve a lot on your LSAT right now to have a chance to do that though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:08 pm

When you say tuition is no object, does that mean no loans and not using a substantial part of your savings? If you have something like veterans benefits or you're independently wealthy, then you're only losing 3 years of your time.

But retaking the LSAT is your best option, of course.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:14 pm

Duramax80 wrote:Not urm, already graduated, maxed out LSAT, but tuition is not a problem. I really want to be an attorney, so I'll handle the problem with job prospects when I get to it. I interned at a law firm for the summer after graduation, too.
1) It is very unlikely you have "maxed out" on your LSAT score. I was an LSAT tutor before law school and the vast majority of people who think they have maxed out their score have just hit a wall. It may take a lot of work, but you can get past those walls. When I was studying for the LSAT I hit a wall at the low 160's and the high 160's. Both walls took AWHILE to get past, put I eventually ended up with a score in the mid 170's. Big jumps are possible, but they require a lot of work.

2) Why is tuition not a problem? Are your parents covering the entire cost? That's great for you, but they should know that their money could be much better spent if you get into a school that actually gives you a good chance of becoming a lawyer. (Same logic applies if you have money saved up to pay yourself.)

3) Handling the problem with job prospects "when [you] get to it" is a very bad plan. Wasting 3 years of your life on a degree that only hurts your employability (if you cant get a legal job, a JD usually only hurts when it comes to non-legal jobs) is not something you want to think about later. You need to think about that possibility right now and work actively to avoid it. If you want to actually be a lawyer, you need to go to a law school that actually gives you a good shot of actually getting a job as a lawyer after law school. As crazy as it may seem, there are plenty of law schools where you actually have a very shitty chance of finding legal employment after law school.

4) Interning at a law firm pre-law school doesn't mean too much. You still need the right school and the right grades for them to hire you.

If you want to be a lawyer you need to strongly consider retaking.

Duramax80

Bronze

Post by Duramax80 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:20 pm

I retook the LSAT in December, and it didnt go well. Id be surprised if I broke 160, and even though i was PTing around 162, driving home from the Dec administration, I had to restrain myself from snapping my steering wheel in half.... yeah, it wasnt a good test for me.

Anyways, I have to be on my way to law school in 2012, and I was hoping I could AT LEAST get into Mercer. Im really worried.

I am fortunate enough to have parents to pay for my tuition, as well as a job lined up after graduation. Nothing is set in stone, but I know several attorneys who own their own firms and have stated they would be willing to either give me a shot at their firm or help me find a job, and I know I can count on these guys to help me out. I am now just focusing on the target in front of me, which is actually getting into school.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Duramax80 wrote:I retook the LSAT in December, and it didnt go well. Id be surprised if I broke 160, and even though i was PTing around 162, driving home from the Dec administration, I had to restrain myself from snapping my steering wheel in half.... yeah, it wasnt a good test for me.

Anyways, I have to be on my way to law school in 2012, and I was hoping I could AT LEAST get into Mercer. Im really worried.

I am fortunate enough to have parents to pay for my tuition, as well as a job lined up after graduation. Nothing is set in stone, but I know several attorneys who own their own firms and have stated they would be willing to either give me a shot at their firm or help me find a job, and I know I can count on these guys to help me out. I am now just focusing on the target in front of me, which is actually getting into school.
Check out lawschoolnumbers.com, lawschoolpredictor.com.
I think you have a good shot at several of these schools. You'll get in somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:I retook the LSAT in December, and it didnt go well. Id be surprised if I broke 160, and even though i was PTing around 162, driving home from the Dec administration, I had to restrain myself from snapping my steering wheel in half.... yeah, it wasnt a good test for me.

Check out lawschoolnumbers.com, lawschoolpredictor.com.
I think you have a good shot at several of these schools. You'll get in somewhere.
He's already been there..

Your GPA is in the shitter bro; I would just apply and see what happens. Its going to be tough for anyone to help you on here because your numbers are fairly unique. Law schools will make their own individual decisions when they come across your application. Until then, cross your figures and find God.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:45 pm

Definitely retake the LSAT to cover up that subpar GPA.

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Duramax80 wrote:

If your parents have money then what is the rush? I say take a year get some work experience to separate you from the gpa, and study for the lsat. If you aren't on the streets then I don't see why you HAVE to go to law school this year.

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:59 am

Lol just lol

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:50 am

WSJ_Law wrote:Lol just lol
don't be a law student.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”