Dual degree? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sprezz87

New

Dual degree?

Post by sprezz87 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 am

Essentially, the above. Somewhat of a non-traditional applicant, given my field choice, wondering if I should have re-taken. Top 15 school, two years work experience.
Last edited by sprezz87 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

law4vus

Silver

Re: 3.64/167 JD/MA Art History Duke

Post by law4vus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:41 am

Are you URM? Otherwise, Duke is going to be very tough. Most likely a WL at best as you're below both medians.

sprezz87

New

Post by sprezz87 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:51 am

I am Hispanic/White but not Mexican-American - so I'm assuming they will not count it.
Last edited by sprezz87 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 am

sprezz87 wrote:I am Hispanic/White but not Mexican-American - so I'm assuming they will not count it. I'm regretting not re-taking. I consistently tested 165-170 on practice tests but with a 40+ hour work week at a job I love but find strenuous at times I was concerned something would come up and I'd get a lower score.
It depends. It may provide a small boost but that's really up to the school. Is taking another year off and shooting for a 170 an option?

Also, a lower score wouldn't have hurt you anyway, as most schools take the higher score (regardless of what they say).

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:56 am

sprezz87 wrote:...with a 40+ hour work week at a job I love but find strenuous at times.
Be careful here, you may be signing up for a 60+ hr/week job that you consistently find strenuous...that is, if you get a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sprezz87

New

Post by sprezz87 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:03 am

Possibly. I had not planned on it, however. My ultimate goal is to work as a federal or state prosecutor in a district that sees a fair share of art crime cases (i.e. New York), serve as legal counsel to a museum, or earn a spot on the FBI's Art Crimes Team - thus my desire to get my MA in Art History as well. I addressed that in a strong personal statement, but I am concerned that my numbers will preclude the possibility of it being reviewed. At the least, I could always backpack through Europe and study the LSAT again while I'm at it :)

sprezz87

New

Post by sprezz87 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:06 am

TylerM wrote:
sprezz87 wrote:...with a 40+ hour work week at a job I love but find strenuous at times.
Be careful here, you may be signing up for a 60+ hr/week job that you consistently find strenuous...that is, if you get a job.
I'm aware of that and I look forward to the challenge. I would have to argue that my current job, without completely blowing my identity, is a bit more demanding than many straight-out-of-college positions. I was trying to be politically correct/explain why I didn't retake. This may be different for others, but I've found that studying for the LSAT was more difficult with a work schedule than a college schedule.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:50 pm

sprezz87 wrote:Possibly. I had not planned on it, however. My ultimate goal is to work as a federal or state prosecutor in a district that sees a fair share of art crime cases (i.e. New York), serve as legal counsel to a museum, or earn a spot on the FBI's Art Crimes Team - thus my desire to get my MA in Art History as well. I addressed that in a strong personal statement, but I am concerned that my numbers will preclude the possibility of it being reviewed. At the least, I could always backpack through Europe and study the LSAT again while I'm at it :)
I was wondering why someone would do JD/Art History. That actually sounds like a cool line of work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”