Chances at money? AA female 16x, 3.9x Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Chances at money? AA female 16x, 3.9x

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read! I'm an international student - therefore not eligible for federal loans, and don't have a us co-signer so therefore not eligible for private loans. I've applied to everything in the T12 except Chicago and Duke. I know H and Y have institutional loans for internationals so going there wouldn't be a problem (here's PRAYING i get in) but do any other schools offer that?
Two questions.

1) will schools take into account my ineligibility for loans when determining my need?

2a) what are my chances for money at any of the t-14? of course I'm assuming they dont just hand out Hamiltons or Darrows, but with my stats is is possible to get a name scholarship?
2b) if my stats arent good enough for a name scholarship is it worth it at this point to re-take the LSAT in feb? would that increase my chances?
Last edited by fingerscrossedxx on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lats19nys

New

Re: Chances at money? AA female 162, 3.94

Post by lats19nys » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:42 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Thanks for taking the time to read! I'm an international student - therefore not eligible for federal loans, and don't have a us co-signer so therefore not eligible for private loans. I've applied to everything in the T12 except Chicago and Duke (no fee waivers). I know H and Y have institutional loans for internationals so going there wouldn't be a problem (here's PRAYING i get in) but do any other schools offer that? I know Columbia doesn't (got in last year and couldn't go).

Two questions.

1) will schools take into account my ineligibility for loans when determining my need?

2a) what are my chances for money at any of the t-14? of course I'm assuming they dont just hand out Hamiltons or Darrows, but with my stats is is possible to get a name scholarship?
2b) if my stats arent good enough for a name scholarship is it worth it at this point to re-take the LSAT in feb? would that increase my chances?
Just curious, you said you couldn't go to Columbia last year because they do not have institutional loans, but then why are you applying to them this year? I was just thinking, if things changed or if you found a way to pay for Columbia. I mean couldn't you use that money for the other schools?

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:14 pm

If you get into HYS, your chances of $$ at other t14s goes up exponentially.
fingerscrossedxx wrote:Thanks for taking the time to read! I'm an international student - therefore not eligible for federal loans, and don't have a us co-signer so therefore not eligible for private loans. I've applied to everything in the T12 except Chicago and Duke (no fee waivers). I know H and Y have institutional loans for internationals so going there wouldn't be a problem (here's PRAYING i get in) but do any other schools offer that? I know Columbia doesn't (got in last year and couldn't go).

Two questions.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:31 pm

lats19nys wrote:

Two questions.

Just curious, you said you couldn't go to Columbia last year because they do not have institutional loans, but then why are you applying to them this year? I was just thinking, if things changed or if you found a way to pay for Columbia. I mean couldn't you use that money for the other schools?
I'm reapplying because I'm hoping that they'll give me more money really. Or that when they do my needaccess application they will have a higher grant aid percentage of the package... also because they took me once I'm hoping they'll take me again, because what if I don't get in anywhere else in the T14? paranoia.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:31 pm

willwash wrote:If you get into HYS, your chances of $$ at other t14s goes up exponentially.
Ah i see. so the idea is, get into HYS -> Profit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:37 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
willwash wrote:If you get into HYS, your chances of $$ at other t14s goes up exponentially.
Ah i see. so the idea is, get into HYS -> Profit.
Indeed. You just have to (tactfully) leverage your admission to HYS to other t14 schools. Other t14 schools will assume you're going to go with HYS unless they can make their own school worth your while. There are plenty ofguides on TLS on how to do this most effectively.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Quick question for TLS- why does no one seem to scream retake on these 3.94/162 AA threads? If this was some white dude, everyone would be screaming "Retake!" I personally don't think black people are dumber than white people. I would suggest retaking, struggle hard like everyone else who goes from 162 to 170, and getting a 170+ this would get you into YALE, which would take care of your loan issues.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:58 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Quick question for TLS- why does no one seem to scream retake on these 3.94/162 AA threads? If this was some white dude, everyone would be screaming "Retake!" I personally don't think black people are dumber than white people. I would suggest retaking, struggle hard like everyone else who goes from 162 to 170, and getting a 170+ this would get you into YALE, which would take care of your loan issues.
These discussions seldom end well. Drop it now.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:03 pm

kapachino wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Quick question for TLS- why does no one seem to scream retake on these 3.94/162 AA threads? If this was some white dude, everyone would be screaming "Retake!" I personally don't think black people are dumber than white people. I would suggest retaking, struggle hard like everyone else who goes from 162 to 170, and getting a 170+ this would get you into YALE, which would take care of your loan issues.
These discussions seldom end well. Drop it now.
Yeah its fruitless. But my advice stands. If you can get a 3.95 GPA, you likely cab work your way to a 170 last. The low expectations of affirmative action shouldn't dissuade you from actually achieving.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:07 pm

I agree. Retake. AA Female here. Went from 161 to a 170 in two months (1st October/ 2nd December). Retake was life changing and definitely application cycle-changing. My decision making process went from thinking about WUSTL with $$$ to HLS. No need to "waste" an excellent GPA.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:11 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Yeah its fruitless. But my advice stands. If you can get a 3.95 GPA, you likely cab work your way to a 170 last. The low expectations of affirmative action shouldn't dissuade you from actually achieving.
Now let me start off by saying that I'm not commenting on the OP's specific ability to get a 170. But a 3.92 GPA is in NO WAY indicative of being able to achieve any particular score on the LSAT. That's not how things work. Truthfully very few people can "work" their way into a 98 percentile score on any standardized test.

That said I do encourage the OP to retake; even if you can get up to a 166 or so that will make a big difference.

OP is in good shape with her current stats for scholarships at schools like Vanderbilt, UT, and UCLA. Above that it will depend.

ColumbiaChamp

Bronze

Post by ColumbiaChamp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:57 pm

why don't you just apply to law school in Canada?

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm certainly not averse to re-taking, I'm pretty sure with a little more effort I could crack 170. That being said I took the LSAT dec 2010 so If I was retaking I'd have to do it february, and starting to study now would mean pretty much starting from scratch. so if I was going to sit and study for this thing my question is if it would make a difference to the money that late in the game even after i've already gotten into a school (assuming i get in of course)?

also, canadian schools give $0 to international students, so since i'm not canadian i would have to pay sticker at whatever canadian school i went to
Last edited by fingerscrossedxx on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:52 pm

+1 i was expecting/hoping TLS would give me a good argument for the retake, if it would improve my chances at all, esp since i'd start re-studying now for the february sitting

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”