3.67 (LDAS), 177 non-URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thomaspaine76

New

3.67 (LDAS), 177 non-URM

Post by thomaspaine76 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:33 am

Softs are solid, but not amazing. Ivy undergrad with double major and minor. What do you think my chances are at YHS?

roranoa

Silver

Re: 3.67 (LDAS), 177 non-URM

Post by roranoa » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:09 am

Hmm...very solid chance indeed. Your GPA is a little low for their standards but good enough I guess. (Since you're an Ivy undergrad)

But one thing I'm curious is, if you're going to apply to HYS anyway, why do you ask? (Assuming that you will do your best on rest of your application, what difference does it make whether you know your chances?)

[Edited for spelling]
Last edited by roranoa on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 am

roranoa wrote:Hmm...very solid chance indeed. Your GPA is a little low for their standards but good enough I guess. (Since you're a Ivy undergrad)

But one thing I'm curious is, if you're going to apply to HYS anyway, why do you ask? (Assuming that you will do your best on rest of you application, what difference does it make whether you know your chances?)
needs praise duderz

thomaspaine76

New

Post by thomaspaine76 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:26 pm

roranoa wrote:Hmm...very solid chance indeed. Your GPA is a little low for their standards but good enough I guess. (Since you're an Ivy undergrad)

But one thing I'm curious is, if you're going to apply to HYS anyway, why do you ask? (Assuming that you will do your best on rest of your application, what difference does it make whether you know your chances?)

[Edited for spelling]
One thing I've never gotten a clear answer on is whether the Ivy undergrad thing matters, since with my gpa I would have guessed almost zero chance at Y, and huge reach at H, S. Definitely not looking for praise, just some qualitative information that graphs and predictors can't really tell me, and that's really why I was asking. Thank you for your reply though.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Well first, so long as you apply early in the cycle and write targeted apps for the schools that will YP you if you don't you are in at almost every non YHS T-14 with money.

As far as YHS goes (in order of likelihood):

Harvard: Decent chance. Your GPA is high enough for your LSAT to compensate. Ivy grad probably helps a little for that too. They need to accept too many 175+ LSAT applicants to ignore your 177. 50/50 chance

Yale: Very small chance. Lowest GPA accepted for the class of 2014 was a 3.61 so you probably have to have something beyond your numbers to swing it. You might get a WL if the Ivy you attended is/was Yale (I have seen that happen a couple times) but since you said you minored in something and Yale doesn't do minors that isn't the case. It's worth a shot, but no more than a 1-2% chance.

Stanford: I think you can pretty much forget SLS. They are the least LSAT-hungry of the top three and really hew to their GPA requirements. Their LSAT medians are much lower than the other two so they don't need your 177 to maintain them the way that Harvard does (and even Yale a little bit) and their size allows them to be more picky than other schools. Your GPA simply isn't enough for them. I mean if you really want Stanford and can prove why, MAYBE, but I highly doubt it. 0% chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm an ivy grad too. What I noticed from the numbers provided by my school is that actually (at least for my school) we don't get a boost for GPA. What we do seem to get is a 1-3 point boost for LSAT scores. Idk, it's just something I noticed, poring through the data at my school. Like for example, at my school the GPA for Harvard was a 3.9ish on average for those accepted while the LSAT was 170. Similarish data for other schools. Then again, you know as well as I do that Ivies do tend to have more URMs that might have good GPA but still do relatively poorly on standardized tests. So maybe that's why the LSATs are lower. I don't know honestly.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:16 pm

lats19nys wrote:I'm an ivy grad too. What I noticed from the numbers provided by my school is that actually (at least for my school) we don't get a boost for GPA. What we do seem to get is a 1-3 point boost for LSAT scores. Idk, it's just something I noticed, poring through the data at my school. Like for example, at my school the GPA for Harvard was a 3.9ish on average for those accepted while the LSAT was 170. Similarish data for other schools. Then again, you know as well as I do that Ivies do tend to have more URMs that might have good GPA but still do relatively poorly on standardized tests. So maybe that's why the LSATs are lower. I don't know honestly.
Actually, doesn't your schools' data indicate that Ivy grads DO get a boost from GPA?

I think the fact that a Harvard graduate with a 3.9/170 (with average softs) would get into, say, Columbia, but a student from a state school with the same numbers and softs would not, should mean that the Harvard grad is getting a boost from his/her GPA. That would probably be so because schools have high regards for a good GPA a at a very competitive Ivy school than from a easy going state school.

It doesn't make sense to say that you get a boost from a low LSAT score. Why would you? Your score was given based on a standardized scale derived from the performance of every applicant from other various schools.

So if your data suggests that that Ivy grads with a high GPA/lowish LSAT do get into good schools more often than those who attends/ed a less prestigious school, then that would suggest that they are getting a boost for their GPA and not from their LSAT score.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:20 pm

lats19nys wrote:I'm an ivy grad too. What I noticed from the numbers provided by my school is that actually (at least for my school) we don't get a boost for GPA. What we do seem to get is a 1-3 point boost for LSAT scores. Idk, it's just something I noticed, poring through the data at my school. Like for example, at my school the GPA for Harvard was a 3.9ish on average for those accepted while the LSAT was 170. Similarish data for other schools. Then again, you know as well as I do that Ivies do tend to have more URMs that might have good GPA but still do relatively poorly on standardized tests. So maybe that's why the LSATs are lower. I don't know honestly.
Look at your school's data. I think all of the ivies compile it, but i'm not 100% on that. You're probably not getting into Stanford or Yale. If you went to Harvard, you may have a shot at getting in to the law school (again check the data).

If you want someone who is close-ish to your numbers for reference, you can look at this dude's profile on LSN:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/chasgoose

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 pm

H, maybe, but your gpa is below what is traditionally considered the floor for the top 3

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”