3.96/155 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Clawson112

New

3.96/155

Post by Clawson112 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Hello, folks,

I just posted for the first time tonight!
I am going to graduate from a state school in TN this May. I will have roughly the same GPA, a completed honors thesis on the social media's impact on the revolutions in the Middle East, and I am the founder and spokesperson for 501 (c)(3) weekend feeding program for children. I have a great resume, strong LORs, but my LSAT is killing me. I am retaking in December...

For now, I am applying to UT-Knoxville, University of Memphis, Ole Miss, Mizzou, Arkansas, and Kentucky.

Where do I stand? Eeek.

S-IV

New

Re: 3.96/155

Post by S-IV » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Everyone is going to basically tell you to retake because you're wasting a great GPA.. regardless of whether that is even feasible given your day-to-day circumstances and ability to raise your score. I'm in the same boat, but for me a retake isn't in the cards at this point for a number of reasons. If you can, however, raise your score significantly, go nuts.

With that being said, I think you have a shot at those schools, and possibly some schools far above them in the rankings. But, to be more specific refer to: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Keep in mind that those numbers are from past cycles and this one will be different from those in the recent past given a drop in the number of those taking the LSAT this year. How much it will change? We, of course, don't know.

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Good luck with your retake! I was a 4.0/156 first go around...just a few more points help soooo much!

Clawson112

New

Post by Clawson112 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Thank you so much for responding....

I knew that retaking would be advised! I can't tell you what happened on test day. I was PTing in the upper 160's. I supposed I just freaked and let anxiety get the best of me. I hope to hit 160 this time, at least. What was so frustrating is that my diagnostic was a 162 and then BOOM...155.

I don't want to practice big law...but I do want to have some options with some scholarship money attached.

However, I would like to know if I submitted my apps for the schools that I mentioned with the 155 and a definite retake indicated, would I get any answers or would they hold my app until my retake score was posted?

AlexanderSupertramp, how did you study for your retake and what was your improvement? Congratulations!

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Honestly, I should have done more. I worked through the Princeton Review Cracking the LSAT book and did about 10 LSATS from the past. My second was a 160 which got me in where I needed to go with some $$$ but that was before I found TLS. I now realize I probably could have sat out a cycle, scored higher, and been really marketable not just locally. I don't want to do biglaw either. I want to prosecute, so I need all the scholarship money I can get! An LSAT in the 155-160 range doesn't mean you won't be competitive. I have midterms at my school which is on a really harsh curve and including LRW I have 4 As and a B+ in Contracts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:39 am

If you indicate a December retake on your apps, schools will hold any decision until you get a score. Why wouldn't they? If you score higher, it helps their LSAT statistics and they can potentially award some scholarship money. If you tank it, they may decide that you're not a qualified candidate or they may reduce scholarship money. Depends on school policy regarding LSAT scores.

FastForwardMe

New

Post by FastForwardMe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:02 am

Definitely worth a retake if you can find another 3 months for studying.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:05 am

Clawson112 wrote: I don't want to practice big law...but I do want to have some options with some scholarship money attached.
Don't worry about applications being held. At the lower schools this is much less of a concern, and your current LSAT leaves you no opportunity at the better ranked schools.

Ten more points on your LSAT will earn you free rides at well regarded regional schools. A few points higher than that and the sky is your limit. This is doable.

You say you don't want biglaw, but don't mention what you do want. If you want a good public interest position be aware these are often more competitive than biglaw jobs paying 3x as much. Good schools will also have loan repayment assistance for lower paid and public interest jobs.

Don't worry if you have to skip this cycle. You need to present the best application you possibly can, even if that takes time.

Find out what went wrong with your LSAT studies, fix it and retake.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:37 pm

You definitely need to retake. With that being said,

Memphis - In
Ole Miss - In
Arkansas - In
UT - WL
UK - WL

Not sure on Mizzou, but probably WL-> in or in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”