172/3.78 Applying After Thanksgiving Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LSHopeful91

New

172/3.78 Applying After Thanksgiving

Post by LSHopeful91 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Hey everyone,

So one of my LOR writers just informed me that he won't be sending my letter into LSAC until after Thanksgiving because the grad student who was supposed to write the assessment for the professor's letter took longer than expected. I was wondering, how adversely are my chances at the T14 schools affected because the application is going to be submitted probably around the 1st or 2nd week of December?

I know Berkeley wants early applicants, but I'm not sure about the preferences of the others (specifically Cornell, Columbia, Georgetown, Duke, Michigan, Penn, NYU)

I realize that I may be overestimating the early/late factor, but I'm a future law school student, so I do have my neurosis.

Thanks

jim-green

Silver

Re: 172/3.78 Applying After Thanksgiving

Post by jim-green » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Last edited by jim-green on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:13 pm

jim-green wrote:The Yale blog specifically states that there is no disadvantage to applying late.
I don't know what the hell this is supposed to mean but the later your apply the more of a disadvantage you face. Applying in September/October range is considered early even by TLS standards. Applying by mid-November/pre-Thanksgiving is considered early by other standards. So December is not awful but I would check LSN to be sure. I don't think you are totally out of the running but you are not early either.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
jim-green wrote:The Yale blog specifically states that there is no disadvantage to applying late.
I don't know what the hell this is supposed to mean but the later your apply the more of a disadvantage you face. Applying in September/October range is considered early even by TLS standards. Applying by mid-November/pre-Thanksgiving is considered early by other standards. So December is not awful but I would check LSN to be sure. I don't think you are totally out of the running but you are not early either.
This doesn't apply to Yale because they don't do rolling admissions. They look at applicants all at once, after the deadline to apply has passed.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:20 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
This doesn't apply to Yale because they don't do rolling admissions. They look at applicants all at once, after the deadline to apply has passed.
I know about Yale, but it seemed like jim green was applying that advice to all of the top 14, especially since the OP never asked about Yale specifically.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I know about Yale, but it seemed like jim green was applying that advice to all of the top 14, especially since the OP never asked about Yale specifically.
Ah, I read his statement as being Yale-specific since he mentioned the blog.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:28 pm

You're right that the biggest penalty is at Berkeley, but most schools are alright if you're complete in early December. Remember that the vast majority of schools don't even make the bulk of their RD decisions until January.

You should use the time between now and early December to perfect your "Why X" essays, and potentially consider sending them to schools that don't normally ask/require them (thinking Chicago specifically).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”