sigh.. 3.01/160.. urmish? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Azmatt

Bronze

sigh.. 3.01/160.. urmish?

Post by Azmatt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:37 pm

1/4 Mexican. 148 first test.. honestly think I had a panic attack. I was finishing 8 minutes early on every section because of the adrenaline and I should have just cancelled. My head was a mess. But, I had some delusion that maybe it wasn't that bad to where I could have moved on last cycle.....

.. it was that bad.. :)

Still had a moderate panic attack in October, but I scored a 160. I had been scoring 165-173 on my practice tests (test center conditions), but my anxiety affects me...Weak. I know...

I AM retaking in December (and I'm feeling much better about it with at least a 160 under my belt), but I'd like to gauge where I am with what I have now.

I am a URM. I wasn't planning on writing a DS. I'm 6'4 and blonde. I'm afraid of it sounding contrived. I identify as mixed, but.. I've always had trouble explaining that for some reason.

Curious how much(if at all) just checking the Mexican & Caucasian boxes will affect me and where I can place.

I understand I'll need at least a 167-168+ to get into a top-25 school if URM doesn't have much of a boost, but I'm curious how high I should be applying realistically.. :)

Thanks for any input.

pertinent softs... not really:

1st generation college graduate
Scholarship Athlete first 3 years (sort of accounts for mediocre start)
3.93GPA last two years after a 2 year break.
5 years work experience.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Re: sigh.. 3.01/160.. urmish?

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:53 pm

eh, spread your apps to lower T1's and some T2's, a few T3 if u really want to be safe. I think u'd get in perhaps a lower T1 but most certainly some solid T2's.

vulpixie

Bronze

Post by vulpixie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Azmatt wrote: Curious how much(if at all) just checking the Mexican & Caucasian boxes will affect me and where I can place.

There is no appreciable difference between checking both Mexican & Caucasian and checking just Mexican. You are still a "real" URM.

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks for the help...

I have looked up the numbers from LSN/Predictor... but there just seems to be so much variance/uncertainty among URMs.

I'd absolutely love to have a solid shot at the schools below. My "realistic" goal is 167 in Dec. If a miracle happens and I kill it with a 170+, then I'm just.. screwed with even more uncertainty. :)

Fordham
Notre Dame
Indiana Bloomington
UICI
George Washington
American
Washington
Wake Forest
Maryland

With the predictor, I'm SOL with anything north of American.

Am I reaching a little too far with these?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”