former biology major saddled with low science grades Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zee

New

former biology major saddled with low science grades

Post by zee » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm a 4th year student at Cal State Long Beach. I was a biology major my freshman year. My sophomore year I added philosophy as a second major because I felt I needed to have more classes that involved writing. I've done pretty well in philosophy. I have 3.7 GPA in those classes but my overall GPA is being killed by my science classes. I have about a 2.7 with a few Ws in those classes.

This year I dropped the biology major (changed it to a minor) and added economics as my second major. I finally realized I didn't want to be a doctor! My reasoning was I could finish the economics degree in the same amount of time it would take finish the bio degree and, I would prepare myself for law school by learning some econ and boosting my GPA. If graduate with just the philosophy degree my grades would be way to low.

I'm also the editor in chief of my school newspaper, the Daily 49er, and I expect to receive some pretty good LORs.

I also expect to graduate with about a 3.2 GPA, with a double major and honors in philosophy.

What should I shoot for as far as LSATs if I want to get into top law school in California...something like a USC or UCLA?

Would a PhD/JD program be possible?

Sorry for the long message. I've never posted on a forum before.

emkay625

Gold

Re: former biology major saddled with low science grades

Post by emkay625 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Unfortunately, the California schools are really heavy on grades. I would say you need a 171+ and that would not be a guarantee by any means.

zee

New

Post by zee » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:16 pm

I figured I would need 170+. Is there any way I can increase my chances? Does being EIC help me at all? How about being in the honors philosophy program?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:19 pm

zee wrote:Does being EIC help me at all? How about being in the honors philosophy program?
Nope.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zee

New

Post by zee » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:24 pm

I appreciate the honesty but is there any way I can help myself out, grizz?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:28 pm

zee wrote:I appreciate the honesty but is there any way I can help myself out, grizz?
Destroy the LSAT.

zee

New

Post by zee » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Haha I like that. So you agree with the previous post? I should be shooting for a 171+?

I'm planning on working my ass of in order to 'destroy the LSAT' I just want to do everything I can. Know what I mean?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”