163/3.7 + Potential C&F Issues Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Milo42

New

163/3.7 + Potential C&F Issues

Post by Milo42 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:15 pm

My goals are UC Hastings and UC Davis, with Loyola (LA), Pepperdine, University of San Diego, and Santa Clara as backups.

I have pretty good softs: High Honors, Honors Program, a few academic/research awards, Research Assistant for 1.5 years, Senior Honors Thesis, clubs/red cross/community service, undergraduate representative on an administrative panel, good LORs, that sort of thing.

But I have some disclosures I need to make, and I'm wondering how much they will hurt my chances.

Freshmen year - dorm drinking violations & public intoxication charge, lowered to a disturbing the peace infraction
Sophomore - Minor in possession of alcohol
Very beginning of Senior year - public intox. lowered to disturbing the peace infraction; noise violation.

And I haven't gotten anything in 2011.

So do you think I still have a fair chance at Hastings/Davis or is my record going to bring me down a couple notches? Could you maybe estimate (or take a guess at) how much it'll hurt?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it, I'm kinda lost as to how this will affect my chances of getting into law school.

Milo42

New

Re: 163/3.7 + Potential C&F Issues

Post by Milo42 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Also, if I had a misdemeanor that was lowered to an infraction, what do I answer for this question:

2. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony? As used herein, a conviction includes a plea of guilty or nolo contendere or a verdict or finding of guilt, regardless of whether sentence is imposed by a court.

Please help.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Milo42 wrote:Also, if I had a misdemeanor that was lowered to an infraction, what do I answer for this question:

2. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony? As used herein, a conviction includes a plea of guilty or nolo contendere or a verdict or finding of guilt, regardless of whether sentence is imposed by a court.

Please help.

if you were underage when the charge occured then you do not have to say yes to THAT SPECIFIC QUESTION. only because as a juvenile you are adjudicated, not convicted. that being said, i recommend that you be very careful and make sure you read each word so that you do not lie on the app (it could come back to haunt you)

write an addendum for the charges you have and you'll probably be fine. i can't imagine they would take charges like those very seriously

Milo42

New

Post by Milo42 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:36 pm

gaud wrote:
Milo42 wrote:Also, if I had a misdemeanor that was lowered to an infraction, what do I answer for this question:

Please help.

if you were underage when the charge occured then you do not have to say yes to THAT SPECIFIC QUESTION. only because as a juvenile you are adjudicated, not convicted. that being said, i recommend that you be very careful and make sure you read each word so that you do not lie on the app (it could come back to haunt you)

write an addendum for the charges you have and you'll probably be fine. i can't imagine they would take charges like those very seriously
I was not under 18. But was I convicted if the charge was lowered?

Thank you!

Tabemaju

New

Post by Tabemaju » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:34 pm

If the charge was lowered, you were convicted of the lower charge, not the misdemeanor.

ccmbr006

Bronze

Post by ccmbr006 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:24 am

It may depend on your state. In some states, ordinance/municipal violations are not legally criminal convictions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”