3.51/171 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
RamblinBoyofPleasure

New

3.51/171

Post by RamblinBoyofPleasure » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Last edited by RamblinBoyofPleasure on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

New

Re: 3.51/171

Post by RamblinBoyofPleasure » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Pre-emptive apologies for the double post. My internet is bugging out.

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm in a VERY similar situation to you. I have a 3.53 (also a rough junior year) and a 171. I'm looking at ED to Penn, and probably Michigan RD as my 2nd choice (and I feel pretty good about both, assuming my essays turn out good). I think you'd be good at Georgetown, not sure about NW though, and I'd definitely suggest an ED to Columbia, NYU, Chicago, or Berkeley if you really want one of them, and even then it may be a bit of a stretch.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Sounds like you have in roads at chicago. how close are you with the prof who wrote your letter of rec? he could probably give you advice on whether or not to ED chicago.

Other than that I'd say its kind of a toss up at the rest of the schools so apply broadly.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

New

Post by RamblinBoyofPleasure » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:02 pm

iamrobk wrote:I'm in a VERY similar situation to you. I have a 3.53 (also a rough junior year) and a 171. I'm looking at ED to Penn, and probably Michigan RD as my 2nd choice (and I feel pretty good about both, assuming my essays turn out good). I think you'd be good at Georgetown, not sure about NW though, and I'd definitely suggest an ED to Columbia, NYU, Chicago, or Berkeley if you really want one of them, and even then it may be a bit of a stretch.
Thanks, it helps to know someone else is in the same boat. I've looked at a lot of information on splitters, but it looks like there are very few in our situation.

Are you applying ED to Penn because you really want to go there, or because you think it's the most strategic choice? The toughest decision for me is how far I should reach with an ED app. Part of the issue is I'd rather live/practice in a big city, but I can't deny that my numbers suggest I should try elsewhere.
FlanAl wrote:Sounds like you have in roads at chicago. how close are you with the prof who wrote your letter of rec? he could probably give you advice on whether or not to ED chicago.

Other than that I'd say its kind of a toss up at the rest of the schools so apply broadly.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm going to talk to him in person this week, but I figured some completely dispassionate advice would be helpful. I definitely think ED at Chicago is my best bet to get into the highest ranked school I can, but it also would not be my first choice of the lot.

Right now I feel like Hamlet, if he had TLS instead of soliloquies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:14 pm

RamblinBoyofPleasure wrote:
iamrobk wrote:I'm in a VERY similar situation to you. I have a 3.53 (also a rough junior year) and a 171. I'm looking at ED to Penn, and probably Michigan RD as my 2nd choice (and I feel pretty good about both, assuming my essays turn out good). I think you'd be good at Georgetown, not sure about NW though, and I'd definitely suggest an ED to Columbia, NYU, Chicago, or Berkeley if you really want one of them, and even then it may be a bit of a stretch.
Thanks, it helps to know someone else is in the same boat. I've looked at a lot of information on splitters, but it looks like there are very few in our situation.

Are you applying ED to Penn because you really want to go there, or because you think it's the most strategic choice? The toughest decision for me is how far I should reach with an ED app. Part of the issue is I'd rather live/practice in a big city, but I can't deny that my numbers suggest I should try elsewhere.
FlanAl wrote:Sounds like you have in roads at chicago. how close are you with the prof who wrote your letter of rec? he could probably give you advice on whether or not to ED chicago.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm going to talk to him in person this week, but I figured some completely dispassionate advice would be helpful. I definitely think ED at Chicago is my best bet to get into the highest ranked school I can, but it also would not be my first choice of the lot.

Right now I feel like Hamlet, if he had TLS instead of soliloquies.
I'm from the Philly suburbs and I've always wanted to go to Penn (actually applied ED there undergrad, got deferred then denied from Wharton), so it's not just a case of me applying there since I think I have a good shot at it. But if there's a school you REALLY want, you should definitely ED.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

New

Post by RamblinBoyofPleasure » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Does anyone know if law school admissions have become more selective over the last 5 years? I ask because when I look for data from the last cycle on LSN, the results for people with my numbers look a lot worse than on http://www.hourumd.com, but it also looks like hourumd gets its data from slightly older admissions data.

Also, how accurate is LSP? It says I would be considered by Berkeley and denied by Duke, but I get the opposite impression when I dig around LSN and TLS's Stats.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

New

Post by RamblinBoyofPleasure » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:51 pm

Bump.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TheLastStraw/jd

My cycle last year. 3.45/171. 3 years work.

I ultimately decided to go to Michigan. Georgetown and Northwestern (the schools you are discussing) offered me no money. Michigan did.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”