How much does your undergraduate Institution Matter? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
smokeylarue

Silver

Re: How much does your undergraduate Institution Matter?

Post by smokeylarue » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:11 am

It does matter slightly. Law schools love to show off that they're classes are full of students from the Ivy League, Stanford, MIT, Duke and other undergrad institutions.

Magnificent

Bronze

Post by Magnificent » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 am

freestallion wrote:I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter, but I just looked at CLS's fb group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1824834 ... 5/members/

Just scrolling down almost ALL the people seem to be from ivies, top privates or top public schools. I don't really see many people from really unknown 'podunk universities.' ::shrug:: Maybe it's a HYS + C thing, but just pointing it out...
Your right about CLS. During orientation they have our undergrad on our name stickers and almost everyone in the class either went to the Ivy League, Duke/Stanford/Chicago/etc., top liberal arts colleges (like Williams, Amherst, etc.), or top public schools like Berkeley or Michigan.

I would say that less than 10% of CLS students went to non-prestigious undergraduate institutions. I think at the TOP schools (HYSC) undergrad matters.

bluedvl

New

Post by bluedvl » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:00 pm

I have no data backing this up, but for some reason I always felt undergrad institution might matter for getting off the waitlist, any truth to that?

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Magnificent wrote:
freestallion wrote:I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter, but I just looked at CLS's fb group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1824834 ... 5/members/

Just scrolling down almost ALL the people seem to be from ivies, top privates or top public schools. I don't really see many people from really unknown 'podunk universities.' ::shrug:: Maybe it's a HYS + C thing, but just pointing it out...
Your right about CLS. During orientation they have our undergrad on our name stickers and almost everyone in the class either went to the Ivy League, Duke/Stanford/Chicago/etc., top liberal arts colleges (like Williams, Amherst, etc.), or top public schools like Berkeley or Michigan.

I would say that less than 10% of CLS students went to non-prestigious undergraduate institutions. I think at the TOP schools (HYSC) undergrad matters.
That's probably true. But it's kind of a ladder system. If you went to a great high school (Exeter, Andover etc.) it makes it easier to get into a great college (HYPS) which makes it easier to get into a great grad school. And it's not just the "name" of your school. It's the peers you have at these colleges, all of whom are gunning for top law schools, you have access to lots of alumni at top law schools, you have career counselors who send dozens of kids to HYS every year who have great rapport with their staff etc.

Of course it's possible to get on the ladder at a later point (I went to a real shitty high school), but it IS harder. Going to a top undergrad prepares you for a certain way of life (in terms of writing skills, connections, etc.) that makes it easier to get a great job or get into a great law school.

So on its face, coming from a top undergrad might only make a small difference, but if you're at a top undergrad, you have lots more resources and "friendly" competition that makes you work harder-->more success getting into law school.

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:40 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:31 am

ach24 wrote:I graduated from a distance learning program. It was a state school and accredited.

GULC flat out told me that it matters that I graduated from a distance program. No one else seemed to care.
GULC admitted me with $$ and I graduated from a for-profit distance learning program.

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:57 pm

I have fun looking at viewbooks and trying to spot and graduates from my school!

cgwifey

New

Post by cgwifey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:31 am

northwood wrote:as long as you went to an accredited undergrad, and didnt take an onliine program, it doesnt really matter. To get into law school, your grades and your performance on the LSAT are imporant. While it may help you get a job after undergrad, in law, where you go does matter some. ( firms care more about where you went to law school then where you went to undergrad) Its not about where you start your academic career, its where you finish thats important. So if your finish line is law school, that school will matter more than your undergrad ( and a lot of schools and people understand that kids want to keep their costs down by going the state school route then going to a private or out of state school for their professional degree)
It is online. It is has a regular campus, but small one, as well as a larger online population. I went online only for the sole purposes that my husband was in the Coast Guard stationed in Alaska, and If I would have gone to the University of Alaska, I would have never finshed my degree before they transferred us, thus, wasting a ton of money. I have my associates from a Community College, and only went online for 30+. I have e-mailed several admissions counselors, some have said flat out "No" some have said, "we are required by the ABA to accept any student from an regionally accredited University, if you fall with in that range you would be fine", some say (T2 range) say "Yes", we would accept a degree from that school.

I am just stressed that it is going to effect my application. I have to get accepted where my husband gets stationed. So at this point I guess it is just going to be God Willing.

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:15 pm

cgwifey wrote:
northwood wrote:as long as you went to an accredited undergrad, and didnt take an onliine program, it doesnt really matter. To get into law school, your grades and your performance on the LSAT are imporant. While it may help you get a job after undergrad, in law, where you go does matter some. ( firms care more about where you went to law school then where you went to undergrad) Its not about where you start your academic career, its where you finish thats important. So if your finish line is law school, that school will matter more than your undergrad ( and a lot of schools and people understand that kids want to keep their costs down by going the state school route then going to a private or out of state school for their professional degree)
It is online. It is has a regular campus, but small one, as well as a larger online population. I went online only for the sole purposes that my husband was in the Coast Guard stationed in Alaska, and If I would have gone to the University of Alaska, I would have never finshed my degree before they transferred us, thus, wasting a ton of money. I have my associates from a Community College, and only went online for 30+. I have e-mailed several admissions counselors, some have said flat out "No" some have said, "we are required by the ABA to accept any student from an regionally accredited University, if you fall with in that range you would be fine", some say (T2 range) say "Yes", we would accept a degree from that school.

I am just stressed that it is going to effect my application. I have to get accepted where my husband gets stationed. So at this point I guess it is just going to be God Willing.
Not sure if anyone else has said this but I'd write an addendum it would fall into the category of your transcripts not reflecting your true academic potential.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Magnificent wrote:

Damn, the exact reason I passed on CLS.

OP, I think you should talk about your situation, either in your PS or in some other sort of addendum - it doesn't feel like it should be a negative, and if you yourself point it out, they'll grab your grades like free candy.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Curious1 wrote:Of course it's possible to get on the ladder at a later point (I went to a real shitty high school), but it IS harder. Going to a top undergrad prepares you for a certain way of life (in terms of writing skills, connections, etc.) that makes it easier to get a great job or get into a great law school.

So on its face, coming from a top undergrad might only make a small difference, but if you're at a top undergrad, you have lots more resources and "friendly" competition that makes you work harder-->more success getting into law school.
Who told you connections matter in law school? And who are you to say the competition is more intense at "top" undergrads? And this... really?
Curious1 wrote:Going to a top undergrad prepares you for a certain way of life (in terms of writing skills, connections, etc.) that makes it easier to get a great job or get into a great law school.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:13 pm

ahduth wrote:
Curious1 wrote:Of course it's possible to get on the ladder at a later point (I went to a real shitty high school), but it IS harder. Going to a top undergrad prepares you for a certain way of life (in terms of writing skills, connections, etc.) that makes it easier to get a great job or get into a great law school.

Who told you connections matter in law school? And who are you to say the competition is more intense at "top" undergrads? And this... really?
Curious1 wrote:Going to a top undergrad prepares you for a certain way of life (in terms of writing skills, connections, etc.) that makes it easier to get a great job or get into a great law school.
I hope you're trolling. But yes, connections matter from the day you're born till the day you die. Also yes, elite undergrads prepare you in ways that shitty undergrads can't/won't/don't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”