3.76 167 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Neatrends

Bronze

Re: 3.76 167

Post by Neatrends » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:52 am

Grizz wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Should I bother EDing to Cornell, upenn, or Michigan? Do I have a chance??
No. Also Cornell does not have ED. Retake if you want T14.
Grizz wrote:
Mentlegen wrote:Congratulations. The earlier assessments did seem a tad harsh.
Not really. Some people outperform there numbers. Not something to count on.
What you had told her, though, is that she shouldn't even bother applying. Which is very different from saying one shouldn't count on getting in.

She's actually slightly above the GPA median for Cornell, and slightly below their LSAT median. So I'm not surprised at all she got in. Congrats.

Fair warning to anyone looking for advice on this site, be on the lookout for extreme runaway pessimism.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:28 pm

Neatrends wrote:She's actually slightly above the GPA median for Cornell, and slightly below their LSAT median. So I'm not surprised at all she got in. Congrats.

Fair warning to anyone looking for advice on this site, be on the lookout for extreme runaway pessimism.
Perhaps, but being slightly above median for one factor and slightly below for another gives you a 50-50 shot. And this is at the lower end of the T14. Obviously, OP's chances would have been better with a higher score on retake. She got in at median--uncommon and nobody would ever suggest your chances are high when applying with numbers at a school's median. An exception never disproves a rule.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:49 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Neatrends wrote:She's actually slightly above the GPA median for Cornell, and slightly below their LSAT median. So I'm not surprised at all she got in. Congrats.

Perhaps, but being slightly above median for one factor and slightly below for another gives you a 50-50 shot. And this is at the lower end of the T14. Obviously, OP's chances would have been better with a higher score on retake. She got in at median--uncommon and nobody would ever suggest your chances are high when applying with numbers at a school's median. An exception never disproves a rule.
I agree. I was willing to take another year off if I didn't get into the T-14. I just found it interesting that I got in despite the odds and wanted to share. I'm pretty shocked about Michigan.

kiosk

New

Post by kiosk » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Congrats on Cornell.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:26 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Perhaps, but being slightly above median for one factor and slightly below for another gives you a 50-50 shot. And this is at the lower end of the T14. Obviously, OP's chances would have been better with a higher score on retake. She got in at median--uncommon and nobody would ever suggest your chances are high when applying with numbers at a school's median. An exception never disproves a rule.
Agreed, but telling someone with a 50-50 chance to not bother applying is bad advice, which was my original point.

OP, interested in the outcome of the rest of your cycle so keep us updated! Congrats on Michigan

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:37 am

Neatrends wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Perhaps, but being slightly above median for one factor and slightly below for another gives you a 50-50 shot. And this is at the lower end of the T14. Obviously, OP's chances would have been better with a higher score on retake. She got in at median--uncommon and nobody would ever suggest your chances are high when applying with numbers at a school's median. An exception never disproves a rule.
Agreed, but telling someone with a 50-50 chance to not bother applying is bad advice, which was my original point.

OP, interested in the outcome of the rest of your cycle so keep us updated! Congrats on Michigan
Thank you! Will do!

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:40 am

Neatrends wrote:

I love this. In the Gtown thread some blow hard went on about how no one with less than 169 and 3.9 has a chance and two posts later sandwiches announced acceptance

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”