3.06/LSAT (???)/Law Schools in Cali Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
d0rklord

Bronze

3.06/LSAT (???)/Law Schools in Cali

Post by d0rklord » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Hello...

I'm totally new to this entire applying to law school thing, as i have only recently decided I want to go...

I received a 3.06 UGPA (horrible I know...) in Finance...

The reason my GPA was so shitty is because of a few factors...

It was a 3.45 before my "senior" (i graduated in 2.5 years so basically just my last year) year of UG.... But working full time/taking a full course load at night/weekends wasn't going as well as i planned. My mom is a single mom, my dad is alive but stopped supporting my brother and I when we turned 18... However, my brother is Autistic, can't get a job... He was also denied any state support...

Also, Finance is fucking boring.

The first law firm i worked at, while completing UG totally dettered me from law school... The place was prehistoric (no internet, yes in 2010 with no internet) and the senior partner was a condescending pot smoking pervert...

However, the new firm I am at, post-bacc, makes me seriously consider law school, and lets me know it isn't all bad...

I have 3+ years of Legal Secretary Work Experience (if that matters at all?)

I was just wondering realistically what I would need to get on the LSAT in order to get into the following schools, with my shitastic GPA...

Basically, all the schools in California, even though half of them are out of the questions:

Bloat
UCLA
USC
Loyola
Pepperdine
Davis
Hastings
Southwestern
Santa Clara

Also, my main goal is to transfer up to UCLA/Bloat/USC (assuming I get into a lower ranked school, which is likely). I know most people say this, it's a common wish of 1L's however...

I am going to do it. (at least, i'm going to work my ass to the bone trying)

No one believed I could finish UG in under 3 years, while working the entire time (full time for at least 50%), i did. So i will transfer. I just want to know if hypothetically i got into one of the lower schools (lower than UCLA), what % of the class I'd need to be in to transfer up...

Thank you for your time... and for taking my TLS posting virginity!

Also, sorry if i sounded like a total douche-bag in this post... it's Sunday morning, i have no brain function left :)
Last edited by d0rklord on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Re: 3.06/LSAT (???)/Law Schools in Cali

Post by 071816 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:51 pm

UCSD doesn't have a law school, bro.

Boalt, UCLA, & USC are probably out of the question unless you are a URM or your LSAT score is in the high 170s (or both), but nobody can give you any useful advice right now except for "kill the LSAT."

Also, check lawschoolnumbers.com and take a look at past cycles so that you can see what you might need on the LSAT to get into the schools you mentioned. Good luck.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:54 pm

UCSD does not have a law school. USD does.

You obviously know the standard transfer line for 0Ls, so I won't waste your time. You probably need to be top 10% to be able to transfer up, at which point you will be paying sticker for UCLA or USC (or Boalt).

Advice: Get a 170+ and go to Northwestern. Boalt and Stanford are both out with that GPA and USC/UCLA are riskier bets than Northwestern at sticker, which is what you will be paying if you go to any top 20 school. That is, if you can get into USC or UCLA as they are very difficult to get into with a low GPA.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Whoops... Changed it. ;)

Thanks!

Well, yes I know... and i am definitely NOT URM... I'm half Asian/Caucasian...

I just want to know if 3.06 is a death wish -- i've seen posts on this forum basically saying "just don't even go to law school"

I want to know if I'm in that category of if I have a legitimate shot...

Quite frankly, I wish I would've known earlier in life... I would've taken a relatively easy major in UG to just boast my GPA...

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:00 pm

No one can tell you whether or not it will be worth it until your LSAT. Shoot for the best score possible, and then you can evaluate whether or not law school is worth your time/money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:01 pm

d0rklord wrote:Whoops... Changed it. ;)

Thanks!

Well, yes I know... and i am definitely NOT URM... I'm half Asian/Caucasian...

I just want to know if 3.06 is a death wish -- i've seen posts on this forum basically saying "just don't even go to law school"

I want to know if I'm in that category of if I have a legitimate shot...

Quite frankly, I wish I would've known earlier in life... I would've taken a relatively easy major in UG to just boast my GPA...
We're all in that same boat dude. Nothing you can do about it now.

If you can't obliterate the LSAT then law school probably doesn't make sense. If you end up with a solid but unspectacular score like 165, you will be paying full tuition or close to it at a school with mediocre job prospects. Even if you get a scholarship to somewhere like USD or Loyola, it will come with a stipulation that you stay in the top third of the class to keep it for 2L and 3L.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Hmmmm...

Well. Thank you for your time, all of you.

I guess the only thing to do is hit the books...

I plan to start studying obsessively now... and take the December LSAT... Hopefully that is ample time! :)

Thanks everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”