Columbia is the DREAM!! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Re: Columbia is the DREAM!!

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:51 am

londonluvlie wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:Just curious. Columbia is certainly a strong school and NYC is the bomb, but why is it your dream?
Guessing maybe because she didn't think H was as possible as it is. It used to be my dream when I wanted to be next commissioner of the NBA though, so maybe that's in play too.
Why Columbia is the DREAM:
1. NYC
2. international law
3. if I decide to get a joint/dual degree, 3 year JD/MBA program and 4 year JD/LLB program with the London School of Economics.

I genuinely have very little interest in attending HYS, and I'm not even applying to Stanford cause I'm an east coast girl. Also, I went to Princeton as an undergrad, and the Harvard atmosphere seems a little too similar for my liking, and Yale is similarly too small and isolated. Not to say, of course, that if I got into either I would turn it down, but I'm applying ED to Columbia because it really is my first choice.

Thanks everyone who took the time to respond, you've given me more hope than I should probably have.

I read that there was a LSN index calculator, but I haven't been able to find it, so if anyone could post the link, I'd be eternally grateful. Also anyone with scholarship/financial aide advice/predictions?
The link you asked for:
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

I love NYC too and totally get that, but still curious. Are you definitely getting a joint degree or just interested in having the possibility?

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:58 am

just cause someone had to say it...international law isn't much of an actual thing.

also, i've heard EDing hurts your chances for getting a scholarship...which could play into your decision i would think.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:10 am

dkt4 wrote:just cause someone had to say it...international law isn't much of an actual thing.

also, i've heard EDing hurts your chances for getting a scholarship...which could play into your decision i would think.
FWIW, I thought about posting those two things. But...

1) International legal work does certainly exist (although not a bona fide field in its own right) and going to a school of Columbia's caliber will certainly give OP a good shot at working for a Biglaw NYC firm that does international work.
2) Because people say AA application cycles are super unpredictable (her GPA is still low) and OP seems really determined to go to Columbia, I think it would be wrong to try and dissuade her from applying ED as it will theoretically give her application the maximum boost towards getting into the school she really seems to want.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:38 am

idk if I would ED. This is a tough one.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
dkt4 wrote:just cause someone had to say it...international law isn't much of an actual thing.

FWIW, I thought about posting those two things. But...

1) International legal work does certainly exist (although not a bona fide field in its own right) and going to a school of Columbia's caliber will certainly give OP a good shot at working for a Biglaw NYC firm that does international work.
2) Because people say AA application cycles are super unpredictable (her GPA is still low) and OP seems really determined to go to Columbia, I think it would be wrong to try and dissuade her from applying ED as it will theoretically give her application the maximum boost towards getting into the school she really seems to want.
re 1: true, but still worth pointing out

re 2: also true, but also worth pointing out. i still imagine OP will get CLS, although i also imagine OP will be underwhelmed by CLS upon visiting :P (kidding)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Does International still "count" as AA?

Either way, Columbia seems like a fit for you. They're focused on international students and high LSAT scores so... you should be solid

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”