162/3.78 awesome softs Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gatorlaw

Bronze

162/3.78 awesome softs

Post by gatorlaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Last edited by gatorlaw on Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flexityflex86

Silver

Re: 162/3.78 awesome softs

Post by flexityflex86 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:11 am

gatorlaw wrote:Hi guys! I just found this thread fun and wanted to get some opinions.

My GPA is solid, LSAT not so much, but I have decent softs: I was born and raised in Argentina (immigrated here when I was 12 after the Dec.19th 2001 incidents), I am a Guardian Ad Litem, have worked with an international human rights organization helping children in Colombia, interned with a FL Congresswoman, writing a thesis on criminal sentencing biases, great personal statement, etc.

SOOOO....please chance me at:

UFlorida
Colorado
American
WUSTL
Georgetown (PT)
GW
Berkeley
Michigan
Cornell
Texas

...I'm also applying elsewhere, like UMiami and Denver, but I know about my chance at schools like that. I was just wondering if, with my somewhat interesting early life experiences, it would be reasonable to apply to any T14. Thanks!
no t-20.

uf, colorado and american are in play.

money o denver and miami, but not worth it.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:21 am

Your softs are good, but that only puts you up above others with similar numbers. It sounds like you have had an interesting life, congratulations. But unfortunately softs don't push you up that much. Just a little bit.

Here is my advice: Go to http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com. Enter your data. All the admits will probably be admits, all the weak considers will probably (but not certainly) be bumped to considers by softs, all the considers will be strong considers by softs (probably, not guaranteed), and all the strong considers will remain strong considers. See how that didn't really change much?

Then look for people with similar numbers on law school numbers, note their softs, and how they did.

Sorry dude/dudette, it probably isn't going to work for most of your list.

Consider a retake, or if you want to go for it with these numbers then please go to U of Colorado-Boulder. It is the best you can get into off your list as far as job prospects go as it absolutely dominates the state.

UF wouldn't be an awful choice either.

You could also look into T3s with strong regional preference... provided you get a full ride.

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:25 am

Last edited by gatorlaw on Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:31 am

Georgetown PT might work.

ED to Georgetown has a small possibility of working.

I would go PT before ED, personally.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 am

Last edited by gatorlaw on Thu May 23, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrybhs06

New

Post by terrybhs06 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:46 am

gatorlaw wrote:Hi guys! I just found this thread fun and wanted to get some opinions.

My GPA is solid, LSAT not so much, but I have decent softs: I was born and raised in Argentina (immigrated here when I was 12 after the Dec.19th 2001 incidents), I am a Guardian Ad Litem, have worked with an international human rights organization helping children in Colombia, interned with a FL Congresswoman, writing a thesis on criminal sentencing biases, great personal statement, etc.

UFlorida
Colorado
American
WUSTL
Georgetown (PT)
GW
Berkeley
Michigan
Cornell
Texas

...I'm also applying elsewhere, like UMiami and Denver, but I know about my chance at schools like that. I was just wondering if, with my somewhat interesting early life experiences, it would be reasonable to apply to any T14. Thanks!
Just an FYI to make sure you dont expect too much.. those softs are pretty pedestrian by T14 school standards (unless, of course, there is an amazing story behind the ad litem situation). If you really want T14 or good money a bit lower you should be retaking the LSAT.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:49 am

gatorlaw wrote:Thanks, I'll definitely do that.

Good luck to you if you're applying this cycle.
Entering law school in one week. Thanks anyway.

Also, seriously consider retaking in October, you are wasting your GPA somewhat. If you could get a 168 plus you could get T14. It is up to you, there is a downside if you score lower, but if you are PTing at a high score it is worth taking again to get into the T14.

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:53 am

Last edited by gatorlaw on Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:54 am

*best

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:58 am

gatorlaw wrote:Yeah, I understand my chances are slim to none. I'm not expecting anything at all, I'd be ecstatic if any of the higher ranked schools on my list waitlisted me.

Also, a retake is not exactly an option and it would probably be futile. I moved to the U.S when I was 12, knowing no English. I've taken test after test and I miss 0-2 on the game section but can't do anything about reading comp. It's frustrating but it is what it is, and it's not going to get any better because I just can't speed read and process logic in a foreign language within the LSAT's time constraints. I'm just going to sit tight and hope for the best.

Bed of luck on your endeavors, firemed, and thanks for your advice

If you speak spanish very well you would have a notable boost for schools in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico (though you would have to convince UNM you really want to live in state). They need spanish speaking lawyers badly. It might even be worth throwing an app to UT- they are the bottom of the T14 after all, and your numbers, plus softs, plus fluent spanish might help. Also UCLA might be a good choice for a super reach.
Last edited by firemed on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:59 am

gatorlaw wrote:*best

There is an edit button at the bottom of your post so you can fix typos, FYI.

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:01 am

So I should maybe write a Why school x? essay and include it as an addendum? In it, I'd explain I speak Spanish fluently (and Portuguese and French) and that I'd like to stay in state and help non-English speakers?

...I don't know about New Mexico, but I'd consider living in Texas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 am

gatorlaw wrote:*best
It's become a huge cliche on this site, but what about - retake? Bring your score up 6-8 points and you are in a whole different ball-game. Especially if you are right out of college and have no pressure to go to law school immediately.

Your softs are good in the sense that they are meaningful but in terms of scale, keep in mind that there are thousands of applicants including former Rhodes scholars and Navy Seals.

If you do decide to proceed with your current LSAT, I would say definitely write a strong PS, definitely get strong letters, and definitely apply everywhere you want to go (especially with fee waivers). Good luck!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:15 am

gatorlaw wrote:So I should maybe write a Why school x? essay and include it as an addendum? In it, I'd explain I speak Spanish fluently (and Portuguese and French) and that I'd like to stay in state and help non-English speakers?

...I don't know about New Mexico, but I'd consider living in Texas.

Your language abilities go on the resume (and occasionally on the app if they specifically ask for that).

You should write a why X essay for any school that requires one, and should strongly consider doing so for any school that suggests one.

If you want to include something about helping non-english speakers in the Why X or your PS you can work it in, just do it well.

gatorlaw

Bronze

Post by gatorlaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:07 am

Last edited by gatorlaw on Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:23 am

firemed wrote:If you speak spanish very well you would have a notable boost for schools in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico (though you would have to convince UNM you really want to live in state). They need spanish speaking lawyers badly. It might even be worth throwing an app to UT- they are the bottom of the T14 after all, and your numbers, plus softs, plus fluent spanish might help. Also UCLA might be a good choice for a super reach.

Do what? No. There's no boost for speaking Spanish.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:26 am

UFlorida- YES, $?
Colorado - YES, no $
American - YES, $?
WUSTL - YES (probably with $)
Georgetown (PT) ?
GW ?
Berkeley - probably no
Michigan - no
Cornell - no
Texas -no

No T-14 with those numbers. For T14, I would say you would have to bring your LSAT to at least 167 to have a solid chance. Maybe on an off year, you could sneak into Texas or Cornell with a 166.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:51 pm

kalvano wrote:
firemed wrote:If you speak spanish very well you would have a notable boost for schools in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico (though you would have to convince UNM you really want to live in state). They need spanish speaking lawyers badly. It might even be worth throwing an app to UT- they are the bottom of the T14 after all, and your numbers, plus softs, plus fluent spanish might help. Also UCLA might be a good choice for a super reach.

Do what? No. There's no boost for speaking Spanish.
Further discussion indicates that kalvano is most likely right. My bad. Please ignore what I said re: spanish.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”