Diminishing LSAT Returns (splitter)? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tmon

Silver

Diminishing LSAT Returns (splitter)?

Post by tmon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Pretty basic question here: for someone with a low GPA, at what point does an improvement on the LSAT not help much with admissions? I'm a 3.36/17X splitter. Just tested at a 172, but I've come a hell of a long ways since a 149 diagnostic, so I'm definitely not ready to say I've maxed out with two months of prep left. Yes, I understand that it's better to do this with a real score, but I'm planning on getting everything I can in before my score comes back in mid-late October, so obviously I'm going to have to do some application prep before I have my score. My main targets are probably Michigan and NU, and I think I understand well enough what my chances are at various stages of the 170s for those. What are my chances at higher ranked schools though?

I've looked at LSN, and some of the graphs are pretty sparse for people around the numbers I have/may have. Specifically, does NYU/Columbia/Chicago become anything more than a random chance?

Thanks in advance!

bk1

Diamond

Re: Diminishing LSAT Returns (splitter)?

Post by bk1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 pm

Can't chance you without a real LSAT. Yes splitters experience some diminishing returns in the 170's.

All the advice anybody is going to give you is based on LSN and maybe a few anecdotes. Looking at LSN I'd say a 175+ will give you a shot at NYU, will get you waitlisted at CLS, and a small chance at UChi. A 170+ and you should apply for CCN but it is highly unlikely (and is still unlikely with a 175+). If you really want CCN I'd say you'd need at 175+ and an ED (to NYU to maximize your chances).

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:11 pm

tmon wrote:Pretty basic question here: for someone with a low GPA, at what point does an improvement on the LSAT not help much with admissions? I'm a 3.36/17X splitter. Just tested at a 172, but I've come a hell of a long ways since a 149 diagnostic, so I'm definitely not ready to say I've maxed out with two months of prep left. Yes, I understand that it's better to do this with a real score, but I'm planning on getting everything I can in before my score comes back in mid-late October, so obviously I'm going to have to do some application prep before I have my score. My main targets are probably Michigan and NU, and I think I understand well enough what my chances are at various stages of the 170s for those. What are my chances at higher ranked schools though?

I've looked at LSN, and some of the graphs are pretty sparse for people around the numbers I have/may have. Specifically, does NYU/Columbia/Chicago become anything more than a random chance?

Thanks in advance!
What's your question exactly? You seem to have all the right info. Take the LSATs and do as best you can. From the data that's out there on LSN and this site, it looks like a 170+ will make MVPND all possible with your gpa. 175+ will make CCN possible.

Good luck with the actual test (also keep in mind that many people under-score their best prep-test by a point or two on the actual test).

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:15 pm

tmon wrote:Pretty basic question here: for someone with a low GPA, at what point does an improvement on the LSAT not help much with admissions? I'm a 3.36/17X splitter. Just tested at a 172, but I've come a hell of a long ways since a 149 diagnostic, so I'm definitely not ready to say I've maxed out with two months of prep left. Yes, I understand that it's better to do this with a real score, but I'm planning on getting everything I can in before my score comes back in mid-late October, so obviously I'm going to have to do some application prep before I have my score. My main targets are probably Michigan and NU, and I think I understand well enough what my chances are at various stages of the 170s for those. What are my chances at higher ranked schools though?

Thanks in advance!
I think the general consensus is that 173-179 give relatively similar prospects for admission, at least for splitters. The difference is really marginal and CCN is probably still "random chance" even with a 180 though it might be worth applying with ED to one of those (NYU most likely to bite)

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:46 pm

Yeah, I wasn't expecting too many specifics, just trying to get a sense of what the GPA floors might be at some of those options and whether certain LSAT scores might just sneak me in.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”